Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Suzann Pettersen

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
cleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,616
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Are you saying then that, for example, a second violinist in the Allentown Symphony should not try to improve by comparing themselves with the concertmaster of the New York Philharmonic, even though it's obvious they will never get to their level?

Suzann never says she thinks she's better than the other women. She says she learns by measuring her game against the best in the world.
if Suzann wants to compare herself to the best in the world she should look at one of the best putters in the world who happens to be on the LPGA. After all putting is the single most important aspect and skill in golf. In Bee also has won more majors including the US Women's Open.
__________________
"There's no use arguing with a fool. He only rages and scoffs, and tempers flare."
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #32
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,746
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Blue,

If a reporter wants to have some fun he should ask Suzann to explain how she measures her game against the best male golfers. I would like to know how she does it, wouldn't you?
Reread the article. It is not some quantitative thing. It is more abstract.

The difference is that the men are able to play some many different types of shots. Can shape the ball and play many different types of short games.

The women are mainly more one dimensional in their games.

Her measure is being able to learn to do those things that the men are doing.

Now to me this is a bit of sports psychology "mombo jumbo". But whatever motivates her is for her. To me and probably to you it is nonsense.

To me and probably you it is rankings, wins and money list. And yes she could not compete against the men.

It is also a bit of bluster. Get it your competitors head that your are not even concerned about them ala Tiger. He is not competing against them he is competing against himself. The old A game B game thing. You can't beat me when I have my A game.

As they say golf is 90% mental ( or some such number). She is playing mind games.

I like what she is doing. Now she has to do it on the course. I have a feeling the Inbee is going to do another disappearing act (yes this is a change of opinion).

Last edited by xman5; 02-14-2014 at 06:43 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Reread the article. It is not some quantitative thing. It is more abstract.

The difference is that the men are able to play some many different types of shots. Can shape the ball and play many different types of short games.

The women are mainly more one dimensional in their games.

Her measure is being able to learn to do those things that the men are doing.

Now to me this is a bit of sports psychology "mombo jumbo". But whatever motivates her is for her. To me and probably to you it is nonsense.

To me and probably you it is rankings, wins and money list. And yes she could not compete against the men.

It is also a bit of bluster. Get it your competitors head that your are not even concerned about them ala Tiger. He is not competing against them he is competing against himself. The old A game B game thing. You can't beat me when I have my A game.

As they say golf is 90% mental ( or some such number). She is playing mind games.

I like what she is doing. Now she has to do it on the course. I have a feeling the Inbee is going to do another disappearing act (yes this is a change of opinion).
Ah, ha, abstract reasoning. So you think all she really means to say is this: "Although I am a woman, I play golf like a man"

That makes sense, because in another article Suzann joked about "Haven't you seen my guns" and about her length off the tee by saying that's nothing because I have another gear when I need it. That's guy talk.

Anyway, it's all rather amusing.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226825916117
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #34
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Ah, ha, abstract reasoning. So you think all she really means to say is this: "Although I am a woman, I play golf like a man"

That makes sense, because in another article Suzann joked about "Haven't you seen my guns" and about her length off the tee by saying that's nothing because I have another gear when I need it. That's guy talk.
You're joking, right?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
cleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,616
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
I think this subject transcends a player's folder.

I don't know why Suzann thinks she has to share her thoughts on this subject, do any of you have an idea?
------------
“I just want to see how far I can get, and I don't really measure myself up against other players,” Pettersen said. “They're just my competitors. I measure my game – always have – towards the guys. I think I have the most to learn from them. So, it's really trying to take baby steps to get better every day. I’m not going to finish this game before I feel like I've reached my potential.”

Pettersen said she studies the games of the men’s best players.


“I think the guys are more creative with the golf ball,” Pettersen said. “They hit more shots, that's kind of how I play. I don't just kind of hit a straight shot, I usually work the ball towards certain pins, and I just feel like I learn a lot from watching the best male golfers play, even just watching them on telly. You can see kind of how they're using their different shot making to attack certain pins. Some girls, I think, do that, but not as many as the guys. I've been fortunate enough to play and practice with the best guys in the world and learn a lot.”

Suzann Pettersen Fit and Focused on Being the Best | Golf Channel
i think you may have jinxed or rattled Suzann based on her 4th round 80 yesterday.
__________________
"There's no use arguing with a fool. He only rages and scoffs, and tempers flare."
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
feonicamartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
What am I missing here ?

I can't see anything wrong with what Suzann Pettersen said.

It's not like she announced she wants to play in the Masters. She just implied that she can learn more about the game from studying the techniques of the male pros and,in doing so,further improve her own game.

I didn't see it as a slur against her own sex or an indication that she wants to test her game against the guys on the PGA Tour.

This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

And it's not even a molehill...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Agree with Saint. There's no big deal in this kind of comment. There are just some readers that's putting flowers in this kind of annotation.
__________________
http://www.golfzoo.com
---------------------
feonicamartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by cleo View Post
i think you may have jinxed or rattled Suzann based on her 4th round 80 yesterday.
Suzann doesn't need my help in the jinx department, she'll jinx herself if she continues with the guy talk.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!