Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Juli Inkster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #11
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Blue: At the Players page under Full Career Bio... each player has her yearly record without detail.
By the way, there is a player who has a longer time than Juli without a cut, but she is not a member of the LPGA. THe great and ever more popular MW. I really do not know, when, if ever, she has missed a cut at a LPGA event.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Elf
Blue: At the Players page under Full Career Bio... each player has her yearly record without detail.
By the way, there is a player who has a longer time than Juli without a cut, but she is not a member of the LPGA. THe great and ever more popular MW. I really do not know, when, if ever, she has missed a cut at a LPGA event.
She hasn't played enough events to be considered, has she? With her limited schedule on the LPGA, she'd need more years to even be close to Juli, I'd think.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #13
Forum Moderator

Wie, who has played 7 or 8 LPGA tournaments a year since 2003 has a current no-cut streak going of 25. Obviously, you cannot compare players who play 20-30 tournaments a year to those who play 7 or 8 and pick and carefully choose which tournaments to play. So Wie's 25 over four years is not comparable to, say, Lorena's 28 over a little more than 1.

When was Lorena's last missed cut? The 2005 Longs Drugs Challenge. How would Wie have done at such an event at the end of a long, tiring season on an unfamiliar course? Who knows. That's why you can't compare full-time players and part-timers.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Blue
Annika's an amazing player and I certainly didn't mean to start an Annika vs. Juli war (two of my favorite players), but it looks like Annika's longest streak was 4 years, not 7, and "only" 74 tournaments, not 264, or even 170. Perhaps Buzzer was thinking of rounds played or something.
Originally Posted by Buzzer
If my memory serves me (and I don't count on it) I think that her string of no missed cuts was something like 251 or in that neighborhood, atleast.
Blue...he already warned you. He didn't even trust his own antique brain...it's been used too much, it's all worn out.

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
PW

Wie, who has played 7 or 8 LPGA tournaments a year since 2003 has a current no-cut streak going of 25. Obviously, you cannot compare players who play 20-30 tournaments a year to those who play 7 or 8 and pick and carefully choose which tournaments to play. So Wie's 25 over four years is not comparable to, say, Lorena's 28 over a little more than 1.

When was Lorena's last missed cut? The 2005 Longs Drugs Challenge. How would Wie have done at such an event at the end of a long, tiring season on an unfamiliar course? Who knows. That's why you can't compare full-time players and part-timers.
You make it sound like Wie is picking easy tournaments, I think you know the opposite is true. 25 is pretty impressive given the strength of the fields.

Looks like 2005 was a little bit of a dip for Lorena where she missed 3 cuts, she made all 27 cuts in 2004 and only missed one in 2003. She probably had a longer no-cut streak in 2003/2004.

Anyway, Annika's record will be hard to beat!

Last edited by PW; 11-29-2006 at 01:02 AM.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:48 AM   #16

Hard to take away from Annikas streak , but for Julie to be doing it at her age and in a tour now that is much deeper is remarkable. ....... and what an awesome year 2006 was for her ....
Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #17
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by PW
You make it sound like Wie is picking easy tournaments, I think you know the opposite is true. 25 is pretty impressive given the strength of the fields.
No I don't think the opposite is true. Wie is picking familiar tournaments, mostly on very familiar courses that she likes, and the same ones year after year. Familiarity builds skill. And playing 7 or 8 tournaments a year is a cakewalk compared to playing 29. Wie has an easy schedule because of this familarity and much more opportunity to practice prior to the big events and while her results were impressive within the context of what she does, I don't feel we can compare her to full-time player in any valid way in many measures. If she ever decides to compete full time on the LPGA, we'lll add her to the discussion then.

Let's leave the Wie discussion at that. I started this thread to talk about full-time LPGA players and cut streaks, not to compare apples and oranges.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #18
PW

No I don't think the opposite is true. Wie is picking familiar tournaments, mostly on very familiar courses that she likes, and the same ones year after year. Familiarity builds skill. And playing 7 or 8 tournaments a year is a cakewalk compared to playing 29. Wie has an easy schedule because of this familarity and much more opportunity to practice prior to the big events and while her results were impressive within the context of what she does, I don't feel we can compare her to full-time player in any valid way in many measures. If she ever decides to compete full time on the LPGA, we'lll add her to the discussion then.

Let's leave the Wie discussion at that. I started this thread to talk about full-time LPGA players and cut streaks, not to compare apples and oranges.
Blue, you can't state your position in an argument and than say "leave it at that". I'm sure Wie has generally played on the courses she played this year the same or less than Lorena. Also, there are dissadvantages in not playing week to week since Wie often fights rustiness. She does pick her schedule, but not to be easy, she picks the hardest tournaments she can.

Anyway, I think both of their records are impressive. I agree they are hard to compare, but I object to your position that Wie's is neccessarily easier. Let's just leave it that they are hard to compare.

Last edited by PW; 11-29-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #19
Forum Moderator

I think there is a reason that Wie's folder was moved off the home page. Can you spell hijack anyone?

In any case, feel free to be impressed by the part-timer. I'm reserving my judgement for when and if she decides to play by the same rules as everyone else. This goes for the LPGA as well as the PGA and other men's tours.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #20
PW

I think there is a reason that Wie's folder was moved off the home page. Can you spell hijack anyone?

In any case, feel free to be impressed by the part-timer. I'm reserving my judgement for when and if she decides to play by the same rules as everyone else. This goes for the LPGA as well as the PGA and other men's tours.
Hey, I didn't bring up Wie.