Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Update Me!

My random thoughts and opinions!

After looking at a few of the threads, those few that have been posted lately, with a comfortable feeling, I see many familiar posters who are still contributing since I had last been on the site I think more than a year ago. As I recall, most of the contributors seem to be participants from when myself and many others were active from the days of Ty Votaw and the infamous meeting he had with a regular contributor to mylpga! ... and then the Bivens era !!!

So in trying to get up-to-speed with what I've missed...with all due respect...I see I've not missed all too much. I've only done minimal reviewing of posts but it's great to see the same passion and enthusiasm however the number of posters has seemingly dwindled to where it seems this is a site of just a few very loyal and dedicated LPGA and WTA fans. I love the posts that I have read but I have reached the conclusion that the site really needs an influx of new posters to present more diversity of opinion and I've also determined that unless there's controversy, posters seem to become more passive ... therefore less interaction.

There's nothing at all wrong with having a few passionate and loyal contributors who have amazingly contributed to this site, as you are the individuals who truly exemplify the true fans of the LPGA (and thankfully also the WTA as I love that sports also!). But picture me as a newbie who is viewing this forum for the first time and seeing rather random postings done infrequently by a few posters - not something that really captures my attention.

I maintain this to be a site that can make an impact on the LPGA and about 3 or 4 years ago I was in the perfect position to elevate the status of mylpga within the player field itself. I had a commitment from one of the tours more popular players from within both the player field and the general public to be a major contributor to this site however a certain poster's regular vulgar and disrespectful postings prompted this golf pro to comment to me that she would never want to be associated with such a site. It was disappointing to me (and an embarrassment) because I wanted to elevate the status of mylpga to be a positive factor in the game. That one poster had frequently gone beyond tasteful and therefore destroyed a vision of potentially a true positive link between the fan and the LPGA - which was extremely disappointing!

So I go out on the limb and ask the posters to this forum if they are happy as things are, or want to elevate the status of this web site to a more contributing factor to the success of the LPGA with its fan relations? There's no right or wrong answer and there's nothing for me to gain other than trying to make an effort at transforming this site into a site that is of more impact t the LPGA and elicits more participation from their fans.

Feel free to fire away at me and I hope that I've not insulted anyone. I comment only with the best interest of mylpga in trying to inject a very aggressive approach to take the next step forward since it's such an established site. I think it's exciting but will of course respect your feedback.

Thank you for your time in reading and considering this post!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

No, I am not happy with the direction the forum has gone. I remember in 2006 coming home from church on a Sunday afternoon, tuning to CBS and seeing a women's golf event on TV. The leaderboard came up and I saw a player from Mexico was at the top. My dad is from Mexico and my first thought was there are pro mexican golfers?

I kept watching but saw how Karrie Webb won but I was so enthralled I immediately became a fan of the LPGA. Lorena Ochoa quickly became my favorite player. Imagine my excitement when I found a forum where I thought other people like me could talk about something we had in common.Liking the LPGA is not like following College football or the NBA. We are a select few.

Imagine we even had LPGA players who would answer questions and even Commissioner Bivens was willing to interact on here.

Things were great at first but I must say that there are 2-3 posters on here who like to offend, attack and discredit people. It makes it an unpleasant environment to post. I and other members have brought it up to admins and they basically say, grow thicker skin, they're not doing anything wrong etc. It's not even that these posters come after others personally but intentionally disrupt threads and they're given free reign.

There is NOTHING going on here beside the contests. Threads have 100s of views at times but no posts. To be honest, there are other forums out there to follow where there is interaction and any disruption and personal attacks aren't tolerated.

I invited a friend to join and he did but he stopped posting on here, when I asked why he just said it's just a bunch of old people fighting. He even nicknamed the forum the Real Housewives of mylpga.

I'm done with this forum. I'm just waiting to get contact info for the couple of people I want to keep in touch with but as soon as that happens, I'm done. If the forum had an option to delete any chances of me returning ever I would do it.

Last edited by fetucinialfokcu; 12-29-2015 at 10:43 PM.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Fet...forgive me for shortening your name .. thank you for your response! Ok...so nothing has changed. I've accused a poster or two on here for being what I call the "moneymakers" - those that are rude and vulgar not only to other posters on here but also to women's sports in general with rude cartoons and pics. My allegations have always been that these individuals have been allowed this freedom because they contribute $$$ to keep the site running. When I went head on with one of these individuals, I never received a response to my allegation so silence spoke a thousand words.

So a very select few people control the vision for which an established site such as this offers - instead of a positive vision for the betterment of fan interaction, it continues to be a site for personal agenda. How unfortunate!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Administrator

I honestly think that the LPGA is too niche a topic to make a popular forum, even with an LPGA player answering questions. Perhaps it would of taken off with a ladies golf pro running the site, and a good writer of regular articles, and news on the LPGA. It might have taken off if I banned a heap of members.

But I think its more likely the forum would of been completely empty if I had banned everyone who had offended at some point. I'm really sorry, I tried to do my best to keep members happy, but people tend to argue and be rude on forums its a trend that you will find everywhere on the net. Why do you think the LPGA.com shut down there own forum many years back.

I spent a lot of time on this site over the years trying to build it to the point where it was self sufficient and decided to leave it at that, as I honestly didn't have the time to try and settle arguments between adults, and the site never made enough to spend more money on it. The site is on the decline and no longer paying for itself.

Where to go from here. What I'd like to do is turn mylpga into a regular golf forum which I actually was looking to purchase before i decided to buy mylpga.com, to cover a wider range of golf topics. With financial support or sponsorship and golf professional contributors, hire some writers and make a site that appealed to anyone interested in golf, not just the LGPA.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 AM   #5

Rusty, great to hear you are still invested in the site. Again, it's been awhile since I've been involved but with 580 posts you know that I at one time was a very regular contributor in this site's heyday.

I will be straightforward in saying that from my experience with mylpga, the problem hasn't been primarily with posters expressing their point of view but those that posted rude cartoons and pics that crossed the line, along with blatant sexist comments. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out but I am pretty certain $$$ played into the decision to allow the postings to continue. In the end, what have you gained? Postings have declined, everything is "old", no new posters, etc..

I disagree with the comment about banning "everyone" because clearly to me it is a very small number of those that stand accused. The issue being that the accused have always been protected and now what do you have? You are no better off because the vocal few have detracted from new blood contributing.

Let's talk positive strategy and ask the forum posters for their suggestions towards a strategic plan and perhaps make an effort at elevating this site as the go-to website for LPGA talk and sponsorship.

Rusty, I totally admire you for the efforts you have made towards supporting this site. A huge thank you for that. Opening the site to pro golf in general sounds tempting but my heart is with you trying to focus on the LPGA.

Rusty, we can talk in private but it would be of best benefit to hear from the contributors who have made the site that it is today!

Thank you!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
Administrator

Hi Whistling I'd be happy if the members of the site here would make a strategic plan to try and revitalize the site. There was no money received for certain members to be allowed to stay and post on site. I've always operated on the principle that disagreements between members can be diplomatically solved and failing that using the ignore feature if your control panel.

I believe to censor people is to take away people's right of free speech. However I don't believe it gives people the right to post personal attacks. However modern debate resorts to this tactic to win, Just look at Donald Trump for example. Either way i don't think just banning a few members here will do anything for the site, but at this point I'm happy to go with majority rules and let the members here take over the site in any way they see fit.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:48 AM   #7
sag

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
I love the posts that I have read but I have reached the conclusion that the site really needs an influx of new posters to present more diversity of opinion and I've also determined that unless there's controversy, posters seem to become more passive ... therefore less interaction.
This site had far more posts 7 or more years ago during Wie's teenage years when people argued about her self-centered attitude, her playing against men, her parents' guidance of her career, etc.... Now that Wie is older and less controversial, this site is dying.

We need controversy, we need posters who will argue and be thick-skinned enough not to whine about their opponents' tone, and we need another group of posters who talk about whatever else interests them and are thick-skinned enough to ignore the arguments they don't like.

No matter how much things are watered down to cater to thin-skinned people, they'll still find excuses to leave, and the argumentative types won't be allowed to have their fun so they'll stop posting as well.

Regarding player involvement, I just don't see it. The popular player you refer to, whomever that may be, she and/or her management can control her branding via Twitter, Instagram, website etc.... They aren't going to participate on a forum where they lack editorial control. The few outspoken, controversial players won't want to come here and argue because they already get their fill of flak from detractors who follow them on Twitter.

I will be straightforward in saying that from my experience with mylpga, the problem hasn't been primarily with posters expressing their point of view but those that posted rude cartoons and pics that crossed the line, along with blatant sexist comments.
This site has rules and regulations. The indecent, vulgar posts you're referring to are against the rules and should be reported via the "Report post" link. A moderator will then delete the offending post and/or warn the offender. Such posts will exist for only a short time, and people need to be thick-skinned enough to be patient while the moderation takes effect. Whining about offending posts or moderation delays is neither necessary nor helpful.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Forum Moderator

I will be straightforward in saying that from my experience with mylpga, the problem hasn't been primarily with posters expressing their point of view but those that posted rude cartoons and pics that crossed the line, along with blatant sexist comments. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out but I am pretty certain $$$ played into the decision to allow the postings to continue. In the end, what have you gained? Postings have declined, everything is "old", no new posters, etc..
I agree 100% with this. I think two thing contributed to the site's decline:

1. As WS explains well, the freedom of some posters to be offensive, crude, and personality insulting, especially about and toward women has been the death knell for this site. I'm not talking about disagreeing over, say, the value of the Solheim Cup. This was personal attacks that typically had nothing to do with golf. And I agree with WS that money seemed to play into it. Because of this, lot of posters, especially women, walked away or, came once, saw a non-welcoming environment, and didn't stay.

2. The rise of social media has lessened the popularity of discussion boards as a venue for discussing sports.

Thankfully, xman's and IceCat's loyalty and hard work with the contests has kept something going.

Last edited by Blue; 12-30-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by sag View Post
This site has rules and regulations. The indecent, vulgar posts you're referring to are against the rules and should be reported via the "Report post" link. A moderator will then delete the offending post and/or warn the offender. Such posts will exist for only a short time, and people need to be thick-skinned enough to be patient while the moderation takes effect. Whining about offending posts or moderation delays is neither necessary nor helpful.
This is not how it works.

Moderators have no authority to delete offending posts or to warn the offender. They did at one time, years ago, but this was changed because a few accused offenders complained about the process.

The procedure now is for moderators to contact the site owner when there are either complaints or questions of impropriety, and the site owner has sole power over what happens next.

The only posts that a moderator can remove are those that are obvious spam, but the site owner's recent security measures have now made it almost impossible for robots to post spam to the site.

Last edited by Blue; 12-30-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

Don't know the answer but don't like censorship. Don't really see that there was a problem the last year with personal attacks, bad attempts at humor yes.

As for lpga players, the prior admin knew her and she did it for him.

I think may be starting more golf and tournament related threads.

The views don't match replies. Seems there can be a lot of views to a topic but limited replys.

Perhaps regular posters need to start more topics. Good golf arguments too.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote