LPGA Golf Forum

LPGA Golf Forum (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/)
-   myLPGA (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f50/)
-   -   Update Me! (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f50/update-me-9071.html)

Whistling Straight 12-29-2015 10:01 PM

Update Me!

My random thoughts and opinions!

After looking at a few of the threads, those few that have been posted lately, with a comfortable feeling, I see many familiar posters who are still contributing since I had last been on the site I think more than a year ago. As I recall, most of the contributors seem to be participants from when myself and many others were active from the days of Ty Votaw and the infamous meeting he had with a regular contributor to mylpga! ... and then the Bivens era !!!

So in trying to get up-to-speed with what I've missed...with all due respect...I see I've not missed all too much. I've only done minimal reviewing of posts but it's great to see the same passion and enthusiasm however the number of posters has seemingly dwindled to where it seems this is a site of just a few very loyal and dedicated LPGA and WTA fans. I love the posts that I have read but I have reached the conclusion that the site really needs an influx of new posters to present more diversity of opinion and I've also determined that unless there's controversy, posters seem to become more passive ... therefore less interaction.

There's nothing at all wrong with having a few passionate and loyal contributors who have amazingly contributed to this site, as you are the individuals who truly exemplify the true fans of the LPGA (and thankfully also the WTA as I love that sports also!). But picture me as a newbie who is viewing this forum for the first time and seeing rather random postings done infrequently by a few posters - not something that really captures my attention.

I maintain this to be a site that can make an impact on the LPGA and about 3 or 4 years ago I was in the perfect position to elevate the status of mylpga within the player field itself. I had a commitment from one of the tours more popular players from within both the player field and the general public to be a major contributor to this site however a certain poster's regular vulgar and disrespectful postings prompted this golf pro to comment to me that she would never want to be associated with such a site. It was disappointing to me (and an embarrassment) because I wanted to elevate the status of mylpga to be a positive factor in the game. That one poster had frequently gone beyond tasteful and therefore destroyed a vision of potentially a true positive link between the fan and the LPGA - which was extremely disappointing!

So I go out on the limb and ask the posters to this forum if they are happy as things are, or want to elevate the status of this web site to a more contributing factor to the success of the LPGA with its fan relations? There's no right or wrong answer and there's nothing for me to gain other than trying to make an effort at transforming this site into a site that is of more impact t the LPGA and elicits more participation from their fans.

Feel free to fire away at me and I hope that I've not insulted anyone. I comment only with the best interest of mylpga in trying to inject a very aggressive approach to take the next step forward since it's such an established site. I think it's exciting but will of course respect your feedback.

Thank you for your time in reading and considering this post!

fetucinialfokcu 12-29-2015 10:40 PM

No, I am not happy with the direction the forum has gone. I remember in 2006 coming home from church on a Sunday afternoon, tuning to CBS and seeing a women's golf event on TV. The leaderboard came up and I saw a player from Mexico was at the top. My dad is from Mexico and my first thought was there are pro mexican golfers?

I kept watching but saw how Karrie Webb won but I was so enthralled I immediately became a fan of the LPGA. Lorena Ochoa quickly became my favorite player. Imagine my excitement when I found a forum where I thought other people like me could talk about something we had in common.Liking the LPGA is not like following College football or the NBA. We are a select few.

Imagine we even had LPGA players who would answer questions and even Commissioner Bivens was willing to interact on here.

Things were great at first but I must say that there are 2-3 posters on here who like to offend, attack and discredit people. It makes it an unpleasant environment to post. I and other members have brought it up to admins and they basically say, grow thicker skin, they're not doing anything wrong etc. It's not even that these posters come after others personally but intentionally disrupt threads and they're given free reign.

There is NOTHING going on here beside the contests. Threads have 100s of views at times but no posts. To be honest, there are other forums out there to follow where there is interaction and any disruption and personal attacks aren't tolerated.

I invited a friend to join and he did but he stopped posting on here, when I asked why he just said it's just a bunch of old people fighting. He even nicknamed the forum the Real Housewives of mylpga.

I'm done with this forum. I'm just waiting to get contact info for the couple of people I want to keep in touch with but as soon as that happens, I'm done. If the forum had an option to delete any chances of me returning ever I would do it.

Whistling Straight 12-29-2015 11:21 PM

Fet...forgive me for shortening your name .. thank you for your response! Ok...so nothing has changed. I've accused a poster or two on here for being what I call the "moneymakers" - those that are rude and vulgar not only to other posters on here but also to women's sports in general with rude cartoons and pics. My allegations have always been that these individuals have been allowed this freedom because they contribute $$$ to keep the site running. When I went head on with one of these individuals, I never received a response to my allegation so silence spoke a thousand words.

So a very select few people control the vision for which an established site such as this offers - instead of a positive vision for the betterment of fan interaction, it continues to be a site for personal agenda. How unfortunate!

Rusty 12-29-2015 11:54 PM

I honestly think that the LPGA is too niche a topic to make a popular forum, even with an LPGA player answering questions. Perhaps it would of taken off with a ladies golf pro running the site, and a good writer of regular articles, and news on the LPGA. It might have taken off if I banned a heap of members.

But I think its more likely the forum would of been completely empty if I had banned everyone who had offended at some point. I'm really sorry, I tried to do my best to keep members happy, but people tend to argue and be rude on forums its a trend that you will find everywhere on the net. Why do you think the LPGA.com shut down there own forum many years back.

I spent a lot of time on this site over the years trying to build it to the point where it was self sufficient and decided to leave it at that, as I honestly didn't have the time to try and settle arguments between adults, and the site never made enough to spend more money on it. The site is on the decline and no longer paying for itself.

Where to go from here. What I'd like to do is turn mylpga into a regular golf forum which I actually was looking to purchase before i decided to buy mylpga.com, to cover a wider range of golf topics. With financial support or sponsorship and golf professional contributors, hire some writers and make a site that appealed to anyone interested in golf, not just the LGPA.

Whistling Straight 12-30-2015 12:35 AM

Rusty, great to hear you are still invested in the site. Again, it's been awhile since I've been involved but with 580 posts you know that I at one time was a very regular contributor in this site's heyday.

I will be straightforward in saying that from my experience with mylpga, the problem hasn't been primarily with posters expressing their point of view but those that posted rude cartoons and pics that crossed the line, along with blatant sexist comments. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out but I am pretty certain $$$ played into the decision to allow the postings to continue. In the end, what have you gained? Postings have declined, everything is "old", no new posters, etc..

I disagree with the comment about banning "everyone" because clearly to me it is a very small number of those that stand accused. The issue being that the accused have always been protected and now what do you have? You are no better off because the vocal few have detracted from new blood contributing.

Let's talk positive strategy and ask the forum posters for their suggestions towards a strategic plan and perhaps make an effort at elevating this site as the go-to website for LPGA talk and sponsorship.

Rusty, I totally admire you for the efforts you have made towards supporting this site. A huge thank you for that. Opening the site to pro golf in general sounds tempting but my heart is with you trying to focus on the LPGA.

Rusty, we can talk in private but it would be of best benefit to hear from the contributors who have made the site that it is today!

Thank you!

Rusty 12-30-2015 01:00 AM

Hi Whistling I'd be happy if the members of the site here would make a strategic plan to try and revitalize the site. There was no money received for certain members to be allowed to stay and post on site. I've always operated on the principle that disagreements between members can be diplomatically solved and failing that using the ignore feature if your control panel.

I believe to censor people is to take away people's right of free speech. However I don't believe it gives people the right to post personal attacks. However modern debate resorts to this tactic to win, Just look at Donald Trump for example. Either way i don't think just banning a few members here will do anything for the site, but at this point I'm happy to go with majority rules and let the members here take over the site in any way they see fit.

sag 12-30-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152530)
I love the posts that I have read but I have reached the conclusion that the site really needs an influx of new posters to present more diversity of opinion and I've also determined that unless there's controversy, posters seem to become more passive ... therefore less interaction.

This site had far more posts 7 or more years ago during Wie's teenage years when people argued about her self-centered attitude, her playing against men, her parents' guidance of her career, etc.... Now that Wie is older and less controversial, this site is dying.

We need controversy, we need posters who will argue and be thick-skinned enough not to whine about their opponents' tone, and we need another group of posters who talk about whatever else interests them and are thick-skinned enough to ignore the arguments they don't like.

No matter how much things are watered down to cater to thin-skinned people, they'll still find excuses to leave, and the argumentative types won't be allowed to have their fun so they'll stop posting as well.

Regarding player involvement, I just don't see it. The popular player you refer to, whomever that may be, she and/or her management can control her branding via Twitter, Instagram, website etc.... They aren't going to participate on a forum where they lack editorial control. The few outspoken, controversial players won't want to come here and argue because they already get their fill of flak from detractors who follow them on Twitter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152534)
I will be straightforward in saying that from my experience with mylpga, the problem hasn't been primarily with posters expressing their point of view but those that posted rude cartoons and pics that crossed the line, along with blatant sexist comments.

This site has rules and regulations. The indecent, vulgar posts you're referring to are against the rules and should be reported via the "Report post" link. A moderator will then delete the offending post and/or warn the offender. Such posts will exist for only a short time, and people need to be thick-skinned enough to be patient while the moderation takes effect. Whining about offending posts or moderation delays is neither necessary nor helpful.

Blue 12-30-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152534)
I will be straightforward in saying that from my experience with mylpga, the problem hasn't been primarily with posters expressing their point of view but those that posted rude cartoons and pics that crossed the line, along with blatant sexist comments. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out but I am pretty certain $$$ played into the decision to allow the postings to continue. In the end, what have you gained? Postings have declined, everything is "old", no new posters, etc..

I agree 100% with this. I think two thing contributed to the site's decline:

1. As WS explains well, the freedom of some posters to be offensive, crude, and personality insulting, especially about and toward women has been the death knell for this site. I'm not talking about disagreeing over, say, the value of the Solheim Cup. This was personal attacks that typically had nothing to do with golf. And I agree with WS that money seemed to play into it. Because of this, lot of posters, especially women, walked away or, came once, saw a non-welcoming environment, and didn't stay.

2. The rise of social media has lessened the popularity of discussion boards as a venue for discussing sports.

Thankfully, xman's and IceCat's loyalty and hard work with the contests has kept something going.

Blue 12-30-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sag (Post 152536)
This site has rules and regulations. The indecent, vulgar posts you're referring to are against the rules and should be reported via the "Report post" link. A moderator will then delete the offending post and/or warn the offender. Such posts will exist for only a short time, and people need to be thick-skinned enough to be patient while the moderation takes effect. Whining about offending posts or moderation delays is neither necessary nor helpful.

This is not how it works.

Moderators have no authority to delete offending posts or to warn the offender. They did at one time, years ago, but this was changed because a few accused offenders complained about the process.

The procedure now is for moderators to contact the site owner when there are either complaints or questions of impropriety, and the site owner has sole power over what happens next.

The only posts that a moderator can remove are those that are obvious spam, but the site owner's recent security measures have now made it almost impossible for robots to post spam to the site.

xman5 12-30-2015 12:44 PM

Don't know the answer but don't like censorship. Don't really see that there was a problem the last year with personal attacks, bad attempts at humor yes.

As for lpga players, the prior admin knew her and she did it for him.

I think may be starting more golf and tournament related threads.

The views don't match replies. Seems there can be a lot of views to a topic but limited replys.

Perhaps regular posters need to start more topics. Good golf arguments too.

xman5 12-30-2015 01:04 PM

Ok after a little thought here is a suggestion. Keep the first page updated. How long ago did MH Lee win. Nothing worse then really old news on the front page to discourage people.

Whistling Straight 12-30-2015 01:39 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. Sag, I don't recall any posts from you when I was active a few years ago but maybe we were active at different times in the past.

In my heyday on this site, there was no question about the denigrating posts and many had expressed their opinion straight out in the open about the postings but the moderator allowed them to continue with a private message to me that nothing could be done about such postings. So, yes, there are rules and regulations but they were allowed to continue. It wasn't a matter about thick-skinned, it was clearly about sexist cartoons and comments. In theory, the site is protected by rules and regs but, in reality, they were loosely enforced at the time.

I'm sure Rusty recalls we did have a player or two participate on this site along with a caddie or two, just not recalling who. With their involvement, I recall nothing but respectful comments and very knowledgeable questions. My contact was ready to work with me at trying to increase the public's involvement and support of this site until she saw the sexist postings - an embarrassment for me and a waste of time for her.

But, irregardless Sag, your comments are right on target and representative of what happens here - at least from how I remembered it to be.

Rusty, I don't think anyone wants to take over your site - I'm sure nobody wants to - but with a cooperative effort I truly believe this site can be the voice of trhe LPGA fan!

Rusty 12-31-2015 05:29 AM

I opened the news portion of the site over a year ago in the hopes that members would take over posting news. The news on the front page is open to all members to post. What I'm looking for is members to take over the forum or someone who wants to take it over.

Whistling Straight 12-31-2015 07:31 AM

Rusty, it has been more like at least several years ago when you opened the news portion of the site as I recall us having a conversation about it.

I wouldn't mind providing some sort of strategic direction for the site but as far as taking over the site, not so sure I would want the responsibilities associated with it. Rusty, if you would like to private message me regarding your offers, I will consider.

Blue 12-31-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman5 (Post 152542)
Don't know the answer but don't like censorship. Don't really see that there was a problem the last year with personal attacks, bad attempts at humor yes.

It's goes back further than the last year. People left before that.

It's fine not to like censorship, but there is a price to pay for a wide-open forum and that price is loss of participants who don't want to be personally attacked or be part of a discussion board full of bad taste misogynistic humor.

Unfortunately, a very small number of posters have been unable to exercise self control and be civil members of this discussion board.

The fact that there are only 2-3 women left who post regularly is a telling statistic.

Mr3putt 12-31-2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152530)
1) I maintain this to be a site that can make an impact on the LPGA.......

2) So I go out on the limb and ask the posters to this forum if they are happy as things are, or want to elevate the status of this web site.......

Happy New Year to all.

1) Really??...this forum has been around for years....but has never really taken off based on the # of members or hits and activity (posts).
IMO....the LPGA has such a finite following....people just don't care much to talk about women's golf.
Seoul Sisters.com - Splash Page is another forum dedicated to women's golf and also has low activity. It's main posting activity is for a select group of members...same as this site.

Go to any other of the larger golf forums...the discussion about women's golf is so insignificant.
Women's golf is such a distant after thought for golfers....on other forums....most of the discussion is dominated on topics including: equipment, courses played, instruction, men's golf, buy/sell trade, etc.

As Rusty has noted.....a forum dedicated to a singular topic is a forum that will be challenged to attract members and activity.

2) I think posters here have low expectations....the site is pretty dormant except for the contest thread....they are happy to have a common site for their contest.

There are approx 15-20 weekly contest members...yet maybe 5 regular post contributors.
Many members are happy to be passive participants.

Golf as a whole is a shrinking.
I was so shocked at this year's CP CWO to see galleries that were 1/4 of what they were in 2012. The LPGA has grown with more interesting and exciting players and Brooke Henderson won the week before....I have no explanation why attendance was so poor...we had great weather.

I wish you luck to increase the activity for this site, but unless there is a complete rehash of this site....I think things will generally remain status quo...it's an uphill battle getting dialogue on women's golf....go check out the other main golf forums to see for yourself.

Mr3putt 12-31-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 152533)
1) I honestly think that the LPGA is too niche a topic to make a popular forum,

2) But I think its more likely the forum would of been completely empty if I had banned everyone who had offended at some point.

1) +100000000....

2) It's not a matter of banning everyone who made a comment that might of offended...as you said...there will always arguments and disagreements on forums but censoring the contend posted of a forum should be a requsite.
If it is true that the mods could not delete posts without your review....then you had a system/process that did not work....the mods should have been enabled to manage the etiquette of the site...that's why they are mods.

IMO .....you should have banned Dangerbob....as others have noted in this thread....he offended many with his cartoons and comments...he added little content when he did post other than a cartoon.
Bangkokbobby is one of the more frequent and creditable contributors to this site....yet DB took shots at him and DB kept on referring to Elf a some Mexican donkey/burro.....DB also made a comment about a *****house which Elf said was so offensive...yet nothing was done about these incidents...there are other incidents already discussed here and they were also escalated...yet nothing was done.

By not taking action.....creditably of this forum took a hit...IMO.

Mr3putt 12-31-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue (Post 152547)
1) Unfortunately, a very small number of posters have been unable to exercise self control and be civil members of this discussion board.

2) The fact that there are only 2-3 women left who post regularly is a telling statistic.

1) LMAO....this coming from you...one who couldn't exercise you own self control when you got frustrated by some members that you posted a pic of a lady giving the one finger salute.....and this considering you are a moderator.

I see your condescending style has not changed in a recent Juli Solheim Cup thread that was directed to Fet.

"It's not a contest with the best players in the world, but it is what it is. And that seems to work, even without you."

2) Yes, some women have quit....but golf forums are dominated by males.....female members are such a small demographic in the golf forum world....why?....likely women are to smart too waste their time on the forums....venture into the other dominant golf forums and you'll see how few posts are originated by women.

Mr3putt 12-31-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sag (Post 152536)
this site had far more posts 7 or more years ago during wie's teenage years when people argued about her self-centered attitude, her playing against men, her parents' guidance of her career, etc.... Now that wie is older and less controversial, this site is dying.

We need controversy, we need posters who will argue and be thick-skinned enough not to whine about their opponents' tone, and we need another group of posters who talk about whatever else interests them and are thick-skinned enough to ignore the arguments they don't like.

No matter how much things are watered down to cater to thin-skinned people, they'll still find excuses to leave, and the argumentative types won't be allowed to have their fun so they'll stop posting as well.

Regarding player involvement, i just don't see it. The popular player you refer to, whomever that may be, she and/or her management can control her branding via twitter, instagram, website etc.... They aren't going to participate on a forum where they lack editorial control. The few outspoken, controversial players won't want to come here and argue because they already get their fill of flak from detractors who follow them on twitter.

+10000000

Blue 12-31-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr3putt (Post 152548)
Happy New Year to all.

1) Really??...this forum has been around for years....but has never really taken off based on the # of members or hits and activity (posts).
IMO....the LPGA has such a finite following....people just don't care much to talk about women's golf.

This forum was far more active a decade ago than it is now. It will never be huge, but it used to be that during a big tournament, and even during the off-season, the site would be very busy with multiple active threads.

Some of this drop-off is due to the growth of social media. Some is due to the off-putting nature of some posts that drove people away. Some is due to the fact that a few of the biggest posters of the past were here because they had one favorite player. Wie, Ochoa, and Gulbis come to mind as players with super fans who frequented this site. With those players either retired or faded from the spotlight, the super fans have disappeared.

Quote:

2) I think posters here have low expectations....the site is pretty dormant except for the contest thread....they are happy to have a common site for their contest.

There are approx 15-20 weekly contest members...yet maybe 5 regular post contributors.
Many members are happy to be passive participants.

The point is that the site was not always mostly dormant except for the contests.

Quote:

Golf as a whole is a shrinking.
I was so shocked at this year's CP CWO to see galleries that were 1/4 of what they were in 2012. The LPGA has grown with more interesting and exciting players and Brooke Henderson won the week before....I have no explanation why attendance was so poor...we had great weather.

According to the Tri-City News in B.C., attendance in 2015 was greater than attendance in 2012.

The LPGA is actually growing -- more tournaments, larger purses, attendance up at many tournaments.

Ironically, this discussion of why there is no activity here has been the most active thread around here in a very long time. Maybe we just needed something new to talk about.

Happy New Year to all! :ani_toast:

Mr3putt 01-01-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue (Post 152552)
According to the Tri-City News in B.C., attendance in 2015 was greater than attendance in 2012.

The LPGA is actually growing -- more tournaments, larger purses, attendance up at many tournaments.

As you know...one can't always believe what is written on the internet or the media.

I was at the 2012 CN CWO from Mon-Sun and 2015 CP CWO Tues-Sun for approx 8-9 hrs/day...and there were far less galleries this year.

The galleries were so large in 2012...e.g.) on Fri afternoon when the premier groups were set to tee off in the PM wave....there were galleries 10 deep around the tee block and 3-4 deep along the right ropes all the way to the green on the par 5 10th hole.
I never saw any galleries even a fraction of this even on the weekend with the leaders/or premier groups.

I can't explain it...a deeper tour since 2012 and Brooke won her 1st LPGA the week before.

But I was ecstatic to watch Lydia take down Ms Pouty Face Lewis in the playoff....I loved rubbing it into Tony, Cindy, Golfing Grammy and her hubby...... who looked like they attended a funeral when their Merican, Stacy. lost.....lol.
Lots of Canucks here rooting for Ko.
But surprisingly...I was shocked to see how many Asians here who like Stacy...running after her to get her autograph.

I was at the 2013 Safeway in Portland...the galleries were dismal.
The media (see attached) said there were 71,500 in attendance....I think maybe 25,000 showed up and I think I'm generous with that number.
Cougar, Verdant Garden and BraveDave attended too and they can also comment on the disappointing attendance....maybe only 200-300 following the final group on Sunday.
I was so bored....I didn't go out to follow them....I hung back and chatted with Cougar and some other vols.
I like crowds and find it kinda boring if fans don't turn out to sporting events.

http://www.oregonlive.com/golf/index...ament_dra.html

IMO....the biggest highlight of 2015 were the crazy large galleries at the USWO in Lancaster....I wish I was there....the USGA need not find another USWO venue....Lancaster wins.....I think galleries at Danville will be kinda disappointing for the 2016 USWO.

The LPGA is growing but much thanks to the sponsorships from the Pac Rim.
Merican women's golf is flat or kinda dying.
I read minimal galleries at the KPMG at Westchester and there are approx 12+M people to attract within a 3 hr drive radius.

The KNC had to be bailed out by the Japanese (ANA) cause no Merican company was willing to put money into Palm Springs and this is a major?????....the galleries in recent years at this event are embarrassing.

But as I said before.....golf as a whole is shrinking.
We don't see it as much here due to the large number of golf crazed Asians here...especially the Koreans.

But I'm not complaining too much as the downfall of golf has allowed me to find some good golf deals/promos on some course in the suburbs.

Some OEM's are suffering too.
In 1993...I paid $600 for a set of Wilson Staff Ultra 45 irons.....last March...I paid $275 for a set of Cobra Amp Cell irons in Canada...there's more excess inventory in the US...so much cheaper deals and often with free shipping.
I could really club ho is I was a Yank.

The golf courses across the border which rely heavily on some Van City golfers are getting killed with a 40% premium exchange rate on the US greenback.
I'm putting my loonies into a piggy bank so I can afford to attend the 2016 KPMG at Salhalee.....this course is crazy nice and TV unfortunately won't do it justice.

Whistling Straight 01-01-2016 05:49 PM

Lots of very valid points brought up - I particularly find the popularity of social media to be a factor impacting participation on message boards.

xman5 01-01-2016 06:15 PM

I was at the kmpg and there was nothing wrong with the crowds. Your information is incorrect. I was also at the us open for a day and the crowds were quite large.

xman5 01-01-2016 06:25 PM

I had no idea that the news section is open.

Mr3putt 01-01-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman5 (Post 152556)
I was at the kmpg and there was nothing wrong with the crowds. Your information is incorrect.

As I said before who really knows what is truth or fiction on the internet or from the media....but from Dottie Pepper (see attached)....one of her disappointments from 2015 was the KPMG attendance at 17,500.

The good, the bad and the ugly of the 2015 LPGA season

I also spoke with Tony and a gent from seoulsisters.com who attended the KPMG and they said the attendance at Westchester was not great.
They also said it was a somewhat hilly course...which may have made it more difficult to follow the players.
I also recorded the 4 majors that GC showcased during the holidays and from what I saw on TV .....IMO....the KPMG galleries were not what they really should be for a women's major.

Except for what happened at Lancaster....IMO....the LPGA majors don't feel like majors because often..... their attendance is no larger than some regular LPGA event.

I also remember minimal galleries at Sebonack....yet Shinnecock across the bay has never had issues selling out...yes...I know it's a USO...but there still should have been bigger galleries at Sebonack...the gals deserve better.

I had never attended a men's major until Chambers...I've attended other PGA events....and I must say that when I entered the facilities....it felt like something special due to the HUMONGOUS infrastructure build....the 18th grandstand was HUGE....TV didn't capture it and I couldn't believe how big the merchandise tent was.

BUT....Chambers will go down in history as the most difficult and fan unfriendly set-up in golf...it was a joke to try to follow and watch golf.

Saint-Just X 01-01-2016 07:50 PM

Hey,3Putt.

Nice to see you again,mate :ani_beerchug:

As for the forum,it's very difficult to get a thriving forum about women's golf,because the interest just isn't there.There are golf forums which cover women's golf,but more as an addendum to their main golf coverage.

Unfortunately,it is what it is.

It was much busier when the Entitled Princess was the main talking point in the sport,but that was simply because a lot of her fans posted topics about her ;and a lot of people who weren't her fans would respond.

It was less to do with the sport that the individual.

You'll never get LPGA golfers to contribute to this forum (or any other forum).It's just not how it works. As has been said,they like to control their brand,which they can do through social media outlets ;they aren't about to join a discussion board where they can't control the content.Even if everyone was their biggest fan,they still wouldn't do it,because they live in fear of saying something that will go viral and damage their image.

You have seen how often 'celebrities' have to apologise for something they uttered on Twitter,even if it didn't seem in the slightest offensive to anyone but the thinnest of skins.

Another thing is that there just aren't a lot of interesting personalities in the game.They all seem safe,sanitised and quite bland.I get the feeling that's how the LPGA likes it.

We need a bit of controversy in the game to really get our teeth into : Wie wanting to play the Masters ; some player complaining about the number of Asians on tour ; a ridiculous tournament concept ; a cheating scandal.

That,and absolute dictatorial powers for the mods...:wavey:

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X

Whistling Straight 01-02-2016 07:25 AM

Thank you SJX. You are correct on all counts. In terms of bumping up interest in the forum, we need to think outside of the box just a little bit, ok, maybe a whole lot! This site doesn't have to stay the exact same way it is today and then expect an influx of people to come to us. It's up to us to be creative in capturing some more attention and continued interest! We cannot rule anything out.

I will say that about 3-4 years ago I had the interest of a major LPGA player, one who has a personality, who was ready to consider committing to some amount of discussion board participation until she saw the sexist cartoons and pics, primarily from one poster on here, and she said in no way would she want to be associated with such a site. Now 4 years ago was 4 years ago, and even during that short amount of time, social media has exploded. I'm going to approach her again to see how hard she laughs when I ask her what can be done to spur interest in the forum.

In terms of players wanting to control their brand ... not so much so in the LPGA! I worked on behalf of an LPGA player several years ago, volunteering as a representative on behalf of the player with sponsors and tournament reps. I can absolutely say that this player was not sensitive to any sort of branding. As she used to say ... "we are really just very normal people who are privileged to have an unusual job." But, most certainly, I believe player branding is applicable only to elite athletes in major sports. I have had no experience with anyone n the LPGA concerned about their brand ... just from my experience and perspective.

I do believe we can up our game a little on the site but only with modest goals in the long run. Irregardless, we have a site that is established and associated with a professional sport. The infrastructure is there, why don't we use this to its full advantage?

xman5 01-02-2016 11:04 AM

You have to put women's golf attendance in prospective. It is not the PGA when looking at attendance. I've been to a lot of lpga events. The kpmg was average for attendance. You could say a major should be better. That's fine. I had been to about 4 prior lpga championships in md and they were on par with the kmpg.

Seabonic (sp?) Is out in the middle of no where. Close to 3 hrs from Manhattan, only the men's open will get lot of people out there. Lancaster was amazing, even Amish guys out there. Good location and course for an area that has not had live golf.

On the other hand tv ratings have never been better while the men are down accept for majors.

Too me attendance was better durring the best years of Sorenstam into Ochoa. The best attened ny event that I was ever too was her farewell year.

International companies sponsoring golf in the us is nothing new. Plenty on the PGA, Barclays,Honda, BMW etc. Same thing on the lpga tour. They want to advertise in the us and golf is a great medium.

As I said I go to a lot of events. I am not good at counting people. I go by my eye test and parking lot test and past experience and that tells me the kmpga was fine.

Also your view on tv is distorted. Remember it is an all day affair. For a tournament that concludes at 6 pm , I would say that peak onsite attendance is at 2 pm. The drop of the final ball is usually the lowest point in the afternoon.

xman5 01-02-2016 12:06 PM

Sjx,

You are right about the blandness to day. In part now to social media, everything is to save and about the brand. They even talk about the brand.

The player that was on here was Sophie Gustafson. Anything but bland. She knew the admin from then. I wonder if it was today if she would the same.

Also on Dottie Pepper, she knows the game better then most and can analyse the game with the best of them but she is overly opinionated and too critical of most things non play related.

Whistling Straight 01-02-2016 03:50 PM

I just got done communicating with one of the LPGA players this afternoon regarding player participation on myLPGA and the quote coming from her is as follows:

"I'm not so sure about how much value it would hold for players, as we have ways to interact with our fans as is via Twitter, snapchat, Instagram and Facebook."

She did encourage me to take several other courses of action and gave me some contact names for me to touch base with. I want to formulate my thoughts to more formally communicate with these people and then communicate my findings back to Rusty about increasing myLPGA's online profile. We'll see what comes of this!

Mr3putt 01-02-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X (Post 152560)
Hey,3Putt.

Nice to see you again,mate :ani_beerchug:

1) As for the forum,it's very difficult to get a thriving forum about women's golf,because the interest just isn't there.There are golf forums which cover women's golf,but more as an addendum to their main golf coverage.

2) You'll never get LPGA golfers to contribute to this forum (or any other forum).It's just not how it works.

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X

SJX.....cheers to you too.

Points 1 & 2 sum it up......nuff said...ok...time to lock down this thread.

OK...maybe one chance for mylpga's survival.
SJX...please contact Momoko "The Divine One" Ueda to help resurrect this forum.....if accomplished...I think we could see over 100,000 active members sign up in one day.

Mr3putt 01-02-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152562)
I will say that about 3-4 years ago I had the interest of a major LPGA player, one who has a personality, who was ready to consider committing to some amount of discussion board participation......

WS
Based on previous info from you...I gotta believe this pro to be Christina Kim.
I can see Xtina being someone who would be willing to interact with random fans.

Xtina is going into her 17th season as a LPGA pro....3 LPGA wins but yet no real significant, consistent visible corporate logo/branding during those 16 years.....many LPGA pros with far inferior performance records have had more visible endorsements.

I assume there must be some skeletons in the closet why professional agents are not assisting Christina to attract sponsorships/endorsements vs. her communicating with someone who has no or minimal experience/tenure as an agent to help attract sponsorship opportunities.

Yes, the probability is greater that the pro you have contact with is someone else....but from what you've disclosed....I gotta believe it to be Xtina.
I see Xtina is now with ISM....but don't recall seeing her name on the LPGA pdf.....player/agent contact list in years past.

The other pros I could see as your contact maybe Jane Park or Tiff Joh....but I think you've said you contact has won on the LPGA and these two have yet to do so.

BTW
If by chance your LPGA pro contact is Belen Mozo....please PM me.....I'll volunteer any assistance for free....lol.

xman5 01-02-2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152567)
I just got done communicating with one of the LPGA players this afternoon regarding player participation on myLPGA and the quote coming from her is as follows:

"I'm not so sure about how much value it would hold for players, as we have ways to interact with our fans as is via Twitter, snapchat, Instagram and Facebook."

She did encourage me to take several other courses of action and gave me some contact names for me to touch base with. I want to formulate my thoughts to more formally communicate with these people and then communicate my findings back to Rusty about increasing myLPGA's online profile. We'll see what comes of this!

Your player is right. They would rather instagram a photo of their dog then discuss actual golf. Much safer and seems to be what the people want, but to me unappealing.

LoJo 01-02-2016 08:53 PM

Haven't been around here lately, but I do pop in now and then to see if anything's going on. But, apart from the contests, this forum has been deadsville. So it's interesting to see a 4 page thread about its demise and the handwringing as to why.

Be honest folks....golf is dying off, both the PGA and LPGA. With Tiger's decline, so went golf at all levels. The LPGA never had a "Tiger" factor except all the controversy that Wie caused. Participation in golf has tanked and many golf courses have closed.

While the LPGA certainly has great players, it has a very small fan base. Golf is a boring sport to watch except for avid fans, and LPGA Golf is the bottom of the barrel as far as interest. And, hate to say it but...Asian players -- great as they may be -- have contributed to this boring aura that's surrounded the LPGA. Only the most dedicated fans will overlook personalities and follow the tour for its fantastic golf. There's a huge disconnect. OK...Lydia Ko is quite charming and obviously her golf is phenomenal. But behind her is In Bee Park and Stacy Lewis. Nuff said.

I'm not posting these comments to stir up replies. I think participants in this forum need to look beyond those vulgar and sexist and argumentative posts which may have contributed to less participation, and look to the "product" which is being discussed. Except for controversy, disagreement, fanatic fawning, lascivious drooling....there was never much else discussed.

Btw....along with Sophie G posting on here, Karen Sjodin also posted now and then. Both were Swedish friends of the former owner of the site. Sometimes forum members asked inappropriate questions.

Happy New Year to all. :ani_beerchug:

Whistling Straight 01-02-2016 11:17 PM

Goodness, all we need to hear from in this thread are MarinePaul, Wiefan, Buzzer, Hedwyn, and Cougar, and it'll be year 2010 all over for me.

Thanks for your opinion LoJo - you bring yet another factor involved in the issue regarding fewer numbers on this site and golf in general - the product itself. You are spurring me on to doing some homework now regarding the business of the LPGA.

From being a little removed from the sport myself the past several years, I look at the increasing number of tournaments and a record USWO attendance; and then having attended the men's PGA Championship at Whistling Straights whereby there were crowds of people and Corporate suites all over the course; and Mr. Kohler now wants to build another course just south of Whistling Straights some 5 minutes from my home; the Oneida Nation in Green Bay has just announced their commitment for a tournament starting in 2017 - and I wonder at how the statement can be made that golf is dying?

But then, I consider numerous golf retail stores have closed, membership at private clubs have decreased, more opportunities for affordable golfing are being offered, and the sport isn't achieving headline media attention anymore.

Now were we saying the same things about golf dying, specifically the LPGA, for what it seems forever? - minus the young Wie era. TV audience totals when the LPGA was on ESPN2 in 2007 averaged a total of only 280,000, and the average percentage of viewers watching on CBS tv in 2007 for telecasting 3 LPGA events was 1.1%, what many experts say are pretty nearly the lowest ratings a ntework can get. And then came the Bivens era for which the LPGA somehow managed to survive!

But golf's demographics scream out that the fan base is aging and there are far fewer youngsters following the sport. Where does this all go? Is golf cyclical with up and down eras? Is golf going downhill due to its diminishing older fan base?

But again, I don't want to stray to far from the initiative to re-tool myLPGA.com to be relevant, with a goal of increasing participation through innovation and creativity. Thanks again for your opinions!

Mr3putt 01-03-2016 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJo (Post 152572)
....there was never much else discussed.

Hi Lojo
How are things...how is the state of your game?

After losing some focus in 2012-2013...with a career low rds of about 25-35 season...then joined a casual league and met two players I enjoy playing with a got back to approx 65 rds in 2014 to near 100 rds in 2015.

My cap has increased by approx 1 stroke....hovering nowadays from low 7 to low 8.

How is your husband doing?

1) ya, you nailed it.

From what I've observed, the typical profile of members of a women's centric golf forum consist of middle aged, non golfers or at best, very casual golfers, who also tend to be passive members...they view but have little input/no input or very short input to any discussions.
The forums are really carried by a very small select body of members...approx 5-15 at most .....hard core members.

There's only so much that can be discussed about women's golf and once there's nothing new to discuss...the site become dormant cause they can't or aren't interested in discussing other golf topics.

Mr3putt 01-03-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152573)
But again, I don't want to stray to far from the initiative to re-tool myLPGA.com to be relevant, with a goal of increasing participation through innovation and creativity. Thanks again for your opinions!

WS
Are you familiar with GolfWRX | Golf news, equipment, reviews, classifieds and discussion

It's likely the largest golf site/forum...with 100's of new members signing up each day with 100,000's of members.

You will find out that this forum exists to it's magnitude because it has many sponsors and I think it might be backed by one of the major golf publications.

But it survives and grows because there are literally 1000's of active threads on many many golf topics, not just a singular golf topic.

Sign on .......become a member and then hit the "new contents button".
Guess what....you might think that the PGA tour discussions are the most plentiful and active....wrong....the site is dominated by golf equipment discussions....PGA tour discussions are minor league and their LPGA folder...although fairly active....really doesn't hit the radar for many members.

Golfers want to talk golf and there are so many 1000's of topics to discuss.
The site is predominantly fueled by some pretty hard core golfers which is opposite of the profile of the mylpga membership.

Visit some of the other significant golf sites/forums and view how they operate.

You'll find that they all cover...many things golf.

It is just so difficult to have a golf forum with a substantial membership and activity that can solely survive on a singular golf topic.

Best wishes to you to re-tool this site to bring in more activity....it's a daunting task if it's main focus remains only.....women's golf..

Whistling Straight 01-03-2016 09:27 AM

Thank you 3putt. Yes I am aware of the WRX site and its dynamic activity. It is an admirable effort and one for which we could never expect myLPGA to be in the same league. My expectations are not on the same level but perhaps we could achieve significance in other ways.

xman5 01-04-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight (Post 152576)
Thank you 3putt. Yes I am aware of the WRX site and its dynamic activity. It is an admirable effort and one for which we could never expect myLPGA to be in the same league. My expectations are not on the same level but perhaps we could achieve significance in other ways.

It is independently owned but has a relationship with on of the golf magazines which I don't remember. It is definitetly a for profit site with a large (well relative to the scale) investment.

xman5 01-04-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr3putt (Post 152574)
Hi Lojo

My cap has increased by approx 1 stroke....hovering nowadays from low 7 to low 8.

Terrific. I had perhaps one of my worst years in the last 25. Current Tiger Like. I think it is all the weight I gained. Next 3 months gonna diet. Well as soon as I can get out of Florida.

And for all of those that say golf is dying and going to disappear that's just wrong. It may not get back to the Tiger heights but that is un realistic to maintain.

The PGA as a bright future with Rory, Jordan, Jason, and Rickie. When you go by their first names then you know you made it. Throw in guys like Bubba and there is no problem. Can't get much better then this years majors even with that crappy US Open course.

LPGA is niche and will never be super big, but it is certainly doing fine, and is not in any danger of failing. The recession hurt big time. I mean big time, along with a perfect storm of missteps. We would like it on a bigger scale it can only be so high in the peeking order. Should Inbee Park get more credit outside the small golfing world yes but that is how it is. It thought it was a great year as a fan, especially with the Solheim Cup. Even the controversy was good. Got a bunch of talk in the mainstream. As a fan I wouldn't worry.

Again just my eye test but this year it was harder to get tee times and there were more people on the courses I play. Too many golf stores when everyone is buying of the internet.