Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #31

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Hey,3Putt.

Nice to see you again,mate

1) As for the forum,it's very difficult to get a thriving forum about women's golf,because the interest just isn't there.There are golf forums which cover women's golf,but more as an addendum to their main golf coverage.

2) You'll never get LPGA golfers to contribute to this forum (or any other forum).It's just not how it works.

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
SJX.....cheers to you too.

Points 1 & 2 sum it up......nuff said...ok...time to lock down this thread.

OK...maybe one chance for mylpga's survival.
SJX...please contact Momoko "The Divine One" Ueda to help resurrect this forum.....if accomplished...I think we could see over 100,000 active members sign up in one day.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #32

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
I will say that about 3-4 years ago I had the interest of a major LPGA player, one who has a personality, who was ready to consider committing to some amount of discussion board participation......
WS
Based on previous info from you...I gotta believe this pro to be Christina Kim.
I can see Xtina being someone who would be willing to interact with random fans.

Xtina is going into her 17th season as a LPGA pro....3 LPGA wins but yet no real significant, consistent visible corporate logo/branding during those 16 years.....many LPGA pros with far inferior performance records have had more visible endorsements.

I assume there must be some skeletons in the closet why professional agents are not assisting Christina to attract sponsorships/endorsements vs. her communicating with someone who has no or minimal experience/tenure as an agent to help attract sponsorship opportunities.

Yes, the probability is greater that the pro you have contact with is someone else....but from what you've disclosed....I gotta believe it to be Xtina.
I see Xtina is now with ISM....but don't recall seeing her name on the LPGA pdf.....player/agent contact list in years past.

The other pros I could see as your contact maybe Jane Park or Tiff Joh....but I think you've said you contact has won on the LPGA and these two have yet to do so.

BTW
If by chance your LPGA pro contact is Belen Mozo....please PM me.....I'll volunteer any assistance for free....lol.

Last edited by Mr3putt; 01-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #33
Contest Statistician

I just got done communicating with one of the LPGA players this afternoon regarding player participation on myLPGA and the quote coming from her is as follows:

"I'm not so sure about how much value it would hold for players, as we have ways to interact with our fans as is via Twitter, snapchat, Instagram and Facebook."

She did encourage me to take several other courses of action and gave me some contact names for me to touch base with. I want to formulate my thoughts to more formally communicate with these people and then communicate my findings back to Rusty about increasing myLPGA's online profile. We'll see what comes of this!
Your player is right. They would rather instagram a photo of their dog then discuss actual golf. Much safer and seems to be what the people want, but to me unappealing.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #34

Haven't been around here lately, but I do pop in now and then to see if anything's going on. But, apart from the contests, this forum has been deadsville. So it's interesting to see a 4 page thread about its demise and the handwringing as to why.

Be honest folks....golf is dying off, both the PGA and LPGA. With Tiger's decline, so went golf at all levels. The LPGA never had a "Tiger" factor except all the controversy that Wie caused. Participation in golf has tanked and many golf courses have closed.

While the LPGA certainly has great players, it has a very small fan base. Golf is a boring sport to watch except for avid fans, and LPGA Golf is the bottom of the barrel as far as interest. And, hate to say it but...Asian players -- great as they may be -- have contributed to this boring aura that's surrounded the LPGA. Only the most dedicated fans will overlook personalities and follow the tour for its fantastic golf. There's a huge disconnect. OK...Lydia Ko is quite charming and obviously her golf is phenomenal. But behind her is In Bee Park and Stacy Lewis. Nuff said.

I'm not posting these comments to stir up replies. I think participants in this forum need to look beyond those vulgar and sexist and argumentative posts which may have contributed to less participation, and look to the "product" which is being discussed. Except for controversy, disagreement, fanatic fawning, lascivious drooling....there was never much else discussed.

Btw....along with Sophie G posting on here, Karen Sjodin also posted now and then. Both were Swedish friends of the former owner of the site. Sometimes forum members asked inappropriate questions.

Happy New Year to all.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #35

Goodness, all we need to hear from in this thread are MarinePaul, Wiefan, Buzzer, Hedwyn, and Cougar, and it'll be year 2010 all over for me.

Thanks for your opinion LoJo - you bring yet another factor involved in the issue regarding fewer numbers on this site and golf in general - the product itself. You are spurring me on to doing some homework now regarding the business of the LPGA.

From being a little removed from the sport myself the past several years, I look at the increasing number of tournaments and a record USWO attendance; and then having attended the men's PGA Championship at Whistling Straights whereby there were crowds of people and Corporate suites all over the course; and Mr. Kohler now wants to build another course just south of Whistling Straights some 5 minutes from my home; the Oneida Nation in Green Bay has just announced their commitment for a tournament starting in 2017 - and I wonder at how the statement can be made that golf is dying?

But then, I consider numerous golf retail stores have closed, membership at private clubs have decreased, more opportunities for affordable golfing are being offered, and the sport isn't achieving headline media attention anymore.

Now were we saying the same things about golf dying, specifically the LPGA, for what it seems forever? - minus the young Wie era. TV audience totals when the LPGA was on ESPN2 in 2007 averaged a total of only 280,000, and the average percentage of viewers watching on CBS tv in 2007 for telecasting 3 LPGA events was 1.1%, what many experts say are pretty nearly the lowest ratings a ntework can get. And then came the Bivens era for which the LPGA somehow managed to survive!

But golf's demographics scream out that the fan base is aging and there are far fewer youngsters following the sport. Where does this all go? Is golf cyclical with up and down eras? Is golf going downhill due to its diminishing older fan base?

But again, I don't want to stray to far from the initiative to re-tool myLPGA.com to be relevant, with a goal of increasing participation through innovation and creativity. Thanks again for your opinions!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #36

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
....there was never much else discussed.
Hi Lojo
How are things...how is the state of your game?

After losing some focus in 2012-2013...with a career low rds of about 25-35 season...then joined a casual league and met two players I enjoy playing with a got back to approx 65 rds in 2014 to near 100 rds in 2015.

My cap has increased by approx 1 stroke....hovering nowadays from low 7 to low 8.

How is your husband doing?

1) ya, you nailed it.

From what I've observed, the typical profile of members of a women's centric golf forum consist of middle aged, non golfers or at best, very casual golfers, who also tend to be passive members...they view but have little input/no input or very short input to any discussions.
The forums are really carried by a very small select body of members...approx 5-15 at most .....hard core members.

There's only so much that can be discussed about women's golf and once there's nothing new to discuss...the site become dormant cause they can't or aren't interested in discussing other golf topics.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #37

But again, I don't want to stray to far from the initiative to re-tool myLPGA.com to be relevant, with a goal of increasing participation through innovation and creativity. Thanks again for your opinions!
WS
Are you familiar with GolfWRX | Golf news, equipment, reviews, classifieds and discussion

It's likely the largest golf site/forum...with 100's of new members signing up each day with 100,000's of members.

You will find out that this forum exists to it's magnitude because it has many sponsors and I think it might be backed by one of the major golf publications.

But it survives and grows because there are literally 1000's of active threads on many many golf topics, not just a singular golf topic.

Sign on .......become a member and then hit the "new contents button".
Guess what....you might think that the PGA tour discussions are the most plentiful and active....wrong....the site is dominated by golf equipment discussions....PGA tour discussions are minor league and their LPGA folder...although fairly active....really doesn't hit the radar for many members.

Golfers want to talk golf and there are so many 1000's of topics to discuss.
The site is predominantly fueled by some pretty hard core golfers which is opposite of the profile of the mylpga membership.

Visit some of the other significant golf sites/forums and view how they operate.

You'll find that they all cover...many things golf.

It is just so difficult to have a golf forum with a substantial membership and activity that can solely survive on a singular golf topic.

Best wishes to you to re-tool this site to bring in more activity....it's a daunting task if it's main focus remains only.....women's golf..

Last edited by Mr3putt; 01-03-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #38

Thank you 3putt. Yes I am aware of the WRX site and its dynamic activity. It is an admirable effort and one for which we could never expect myLPGA to be in the same league. My expectations are not on the same level but perhaps we could achieve significance in other ways.
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #39
Contest Statistician

Thank you 3putt. Yes I am aware of the WRX site and its dynamic activity. It is an admirable effort and one for which we could never expect myLPGA to be in the same league. My expectations are not on the same level but perhaps we could achieve significance in other ways.
It is independently owned but has a relationship with on of the golf magazines which I don't remember. It is definitetly a for profit site with a large (well relative to the scale) investment.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #40
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
Hi Lojo

My cap has increased by approx 1 stroke....hovering nowadays from low 7 to low 8.

Terrific. I had perhaps one of my worst years in the last 25. Current Tiger Like. I think it is all the weight I gained. Next 3 months gonna diet. Well as soon as I can get out of Florida.

And for all of those that say golf is dying and going to disappear that's just wrong. It may not get back to the Tiger heights but that is un realistic to maintain.

The PGA as a bright future with Rory, Jordan, Jason, and Rickie. When you go by their first names then you know you made it. Throw in guys like Bubba and there is no problem. Can't get much better then this years majors even with that crappy US Open course.

LPGA is niche and will never be super big, but it is certainly doing fine, and is not in any danger of failing. The recession hurt big time. I mean big time, along with a perfect storm of missteps. We would like it on a bigger scale it can only be so high in the peeking order. Should Inbee Park get more credit outside the small golfing world yes but that is how it is. It thought it was a great year as a fan, especially with the Solheim Cup. Even the controversy was good. Got a bunch of talk in the mainstream. As a fan I wouldn't worry.

Again just my eye test but this year it was harder to get tee times and there were more people on the courses I play. Too many golf stores when everyone is buying of the internet.