Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Contest Statistician

Ok after a little thought here is a suggestion. Keep the first page updated. How long ago did MH Lee win. Nothing worse then really old news on the front page to discourage people.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

Thank you all for your feedback. Sag, I don't recall any posts from you when I was active a few years ago but maybe we were active at different times in the past.

In my heyday on this site, there was no question about the denigrating posts and many had expressed their opinion straight out in the open about the postings but the moderator allowed them to continue with a private message to me that nothing could be done about such postings. So, yes, there are rules and regulations but they were allowed to continue. It wasn't a matter about thick-skinned, it was clearly about sexist cartoons and comments. In theory, the site is protected by rules and regs but, in reality, they were loosely enforced at the time.

I'm sure Rusty recalls we did have a player or two participate on this site along with a caddie or two, just not recalling who. With their involvement, I recall nothing but respectful comments and very knowledgeable questions. My contact was ready to work with me at trying to increase the public's involvement and support of this site until she saw the sexist postings - an embarrassment for me and a waste of time for her.

But, irregardless Sag, your comments are right on target and representative of what happens here - at least from how I remembered it to be.

Rusty, I don't think anyone wants to take over your site - I'm sure nobody wants to - but with a cooperative effort I truly believe this site can be the voice of trhe LPGA fan!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #13
Administrator

I opened the news portion of the site over a year ago in the hopes that members would take over posting news. The news on the front page is open to all members to post. What I'm looking for is members to take over the forum or someone who wants to take it over.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #14

Rusty, it has been more like at least several years ago when you opened the news portion of the site as I recall us having a conversation about it.

I wouldn't mind providing some sort of strategic direction for the site but as far as taking over the site, not so sure I would want the responsibilities associated with it. Rusty, if you would like to private message me regarding your offers, I will consider.
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Don't know the answer but don't like censorship. Don't really see that there was a problem the last year with personal attacks, bad attempts at humor yes.
It's goes back further than the last year. People left before that.

It's fine not to like censorship, but there is a price to pay for a wide-open forum and that price is loss of participants who don't want to be personally attacked or be part of a discussion board full of bad taste misogynistic humor.

Unfortunately, a very small number of posters have been unable to exercise self control and be civil members of this discussion board.

The fact that there are only 2-3 women left who post regularly is a telling statistic.

Last edited by Blue; 12-31-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
1) I maintain this to be a site that can make an impact on the LPGA.......

2) So I go out on the limb and ask the posters to this forum if they are happy as things are, or want to elevate the status of this web site.......
Happy New Year to all.

1) Really??...this forum has been around for years....but has never really taken off based on the # of members or hits and activity (posts).
IMO....the LPGA has such a finite following....people just don't care much to talk about women's golf.
Seoul Sisters.com - Splash Page is another forum dedicated to women's golf and also has low activity. It's main posting activity is for a select group of members...same as this site.

Go to any other of the larger golf forums...the discussion about women's golf is so insignificant.
Women's golf is such a distant after thought for golfers....on other forums....most of the discussion is dominated on topics including: equipment, courses played, instruction, men's golf, buy/sell trade, etc.

As Rusty has noted.....a forum dedicated to a singular topic is a forum that will be challenged to attract members and activity.

2) I think posters here have low expectations....the site is pretty dormant except for the contest thread....they are happy to have a common site for their contest.

There are approx 15-20 weekly contest members...yet maybe 5 regular post contributors.
Many members are happy to be passive participants.

Golf as a whole is a shrinking.
I was so shocked at this year's CP CWO to see galleries that were 1/4 of what they were in 2012. The LPGA has grown with more interesting and exciting players and Brooke Henderson won the week before....I have no explanation why attendance was so poor...we had great weather.

I wish you luck to increase the activity for this site, but unless there is a complete rehash of this site....I think things will generally remain status quo...it's an uphill battle getting dialogue on women's golf....go check out the other main golf forums to see for yourself.

Last edited by Mr3putt; 12-31-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:52 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
1) I honestly think that the LPGA is too niche a topic to make a popular forum,

2) But I think its more likely the forum would of been completely empty if I had banned everyone who had offended at some point.
1) +100000000....

2) It's not a matter of banning everyone who made a comment that might of offended...as you said...there will always arguments and disagreements on forums but censoring the contend posted of a forum should be a requsite.
If it is true that the mods could not delete posts without your review....then you had a system/process that did not work....the mods should have been enabled to manage the etiquette of the site...that's why they are mods.

IMO .....you should have banned Dangerbob....as others have noted in this thread....he offended many with his cartoons and comments...he added little content when he did post other than a cartoon.
Bangkokbobby is one of the more frequent and creditable contributors to this site....yet DB took shots at him and DB kept on referring to Elf a some Mexican donkey/burro.....DB also made a comment about a *****house which Elf said was so offensive...yet nothing was done about these incidents...there are other incidents already discussed here and they were also escalated...yet nothing was done.

By not taking action.....creditably of this forum took a hit...IMO.

Last edited by Mr3putt; 12-31-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
1) Unfortunately, a very small number of posters have been unable to exercise self control and be civil members of this discussion board.

2) The fact that there are only 2-3 women left who post regularly is a telling statistic.
1) LMAO....this coming from you...one who couldn't exercise you own self control when you got frustrated by some members that you posted a pic of a lady giving the one finger salute.....and this considering you are a moderator.

I see your condescending style has not changed in a recent Juli Solheim Cup thread that was directed to Fet.

"It's not a contest with the best players in the world, but it is what it is. And that seems to work, even without you."

2) Yes, some women have quit....but golf forums are dominated by males.....female members are such a small demographic in the golf forum world....why?....likely women are to smart too waste their time on the forums....venture into the other dominant golf forums and you'll see how few posts are originated by women.

Last edited by Mr3putt; 12-31-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:13 PM   #19

Originally Posted by sag View Post
this site had far more posts 7 or more years ago during wie's teenage years when people argued about her self-centered attitude, her playing against men, her parents' guidance of her career, etc.... Now that wie is older and less controversial, this site is dying.

We need controversy, we need posters who will argue and be thick-skinned enough not to whine about their opponents' tone, and we need another group of posters who talk about whatever else interests them and are thick-skinned enough to ignore the arguments they don't like.

No matter how much things are watered down to cater to thin-skinned people, they'll still find excuses to leave, and the argumentative types won't be allowed to have their fun so they'll stop posting as well.

Regarding player involvement, i just don't see it. The popular player you refer to, whomever that may be, she and/or her management can control her branding via twitter, instagram, website etc.... They aren't going to participate on a forum where they lack editorial control. The few outspoken, controversial players won't want to come here and argue because they already get their fill of flak from detractors who follow them on twitter.
+10000000
Old 12-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
Happy New Year to all.

1) Really??...this forum has been around for years....but has never really taken off based on the # of members or hits and activity (posts).
IMO....the LPGA has such a finite following....people just don't care much to talk about women's golf.
This forum was far more active a decade ago than it is now. It will never be huge, but it used to be that during a big tournament, and even during the off-season, the site would be very busy with multiple active threads.

Some of this drop-off is due to the growth of social media. Some is due to the off-putting nature of some posts that drove people away. Some is due to the fact that a few of the biggest posters of the past were here because they had one favorite player. Wie, Ochoa, and Gulbis come to mind as players with super fans who frequented this site. With those players either retired or faded from the spotlight, the super fans have disappeared.

2) I think posters here have low expectations....the site is pretty dormant except for the contest thread....they are happy to have a common site for their contest.

There are approx 15-20 weekly contest members...yet maybe 5 regular post contributors.
Many members are happy to be passive participants.
The point is that the site was not always mostly dormant except for the contests.

Golf as a whole is a shrinking.
I was so shocked at this year's CP CWO to see galleries that were 1/4 of what they were in 2012. The LPGA has grown with more interesting and exciting players and Brooke Henderson won the week before....I have no explanation why attendance was so poor...we had great weather.
According to the Tri-City News in B.C., attendance in 2015 was greater than attendance in 2012.

The LPGA is actually growing -- more tournaments, larger purses, attendance up at many tournaments.

Ironically, this discussion of why there is no activity here has been the most active thread around here in a very long time. Maybe we just needed something new to talk about.

Happy New Year to all!
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote