Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Administrator

Thinking of upgrading the forum member feedback wanted

I've found I don't really have time for my other forum Product Review Forum and as it didn't really take off so I'm thinking about transferring the upgrade to this forum. The upgrade will include a new forum skin or more as this one won't work with the upgrade, or alternately I could code this one up again it will take a little bit of time.

I'd like to ask the members here to take a look at the other site so I can get your opinions and some feedback.
Please take a look at the different styles located at the bottom of the Product Review Forum forum.

Some advantages of upgrading.
Better mobile style theme and support for the tapatalk application. People with a smartphone and the tapatalk application can easily upload and post pictures taken on there phone to the forum. So I'm thinking this could be used at the tournaments? Also from the advertising money on the forum I'd be willing to buy the application for members willing to take pictures at tournaments, it costs $2.99 for the app from memory.

Allow users to post/embed video code easily. A less complicated picture support for adding photos to the forum. No more photobucket or flickr needed, add photos from your desktop directly to the forum from the post editor.

Disadvantages
The new vbulletin software might be slower then this forum? Please let me know.

The forum losses a bit of rank in search engines due to the structure of the forum. To maximize the forum rank the blog should really be moved to the front page, the blog gets way more search engine traffic then the forum does however the blog overall gets penalized due to its location. I reluctant to do this for one the blog and my writing sucks, members have indicated in the past that they like the front page the way it is, and I haven't found a blog template I like, also the blog cms doesn't provide the amount of features that I would like to make it more fun and engaging for the members here.

I'm not sure if the front page can be ported over with the new forum upgrade so what you see on the other site could be the front page, it includes a sidebar with latest forum posts, and support for adding polls.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

I am just one stroke ahead of being "computer illiterate".....I use the 'puter for entertainment purposes mainly....
Once a month I get serious with my computing and pay my bills.
So, Rusty, what ever you do is just fine with me provided I don't have to call my computer geek in to show me how to deal with the upgrades.

My computer geek is my 13 year old grandson....(what an embarrassing confession.)

Viva Annika

Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Forum Moderator

It's up to you. It's your site and you have to maintain it. You make the call. I think some members here might like a site where the forum gets a little more real estate on the home page but I understand now that for SEO purposes it's in your best interest to tie the blog in, so that makes sense.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Administrator

I think of the site as belonging more to the members here then my site. After all members here has contributed way more than me. Which is why I like to check with everyone here before making such a drastic change without the majorities consent.

I'll have a look at coding up the same theme and trying to get the same features first.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #5

I agree with the others. Whatever you do is fine. Like Buzzer, I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm sure you won't make it too complicated.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Administrator

I've found the fault with the video upload its a hoster problem, however they have no idea how to fix it, so at some point soon I'm going to have to transfer mylpga to another forum server, which will mean the site will be down from anywhere to 2-7 days.

Working on the upgrade skin see what you think, Hopefully I can complete all this before i go on holidays at the start of next month.
Product Review Forum

I've decided to go ahead with the forum upgrade. I'm still not sure of the blog but the forum will rock especially for mobile users at the tournaments.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Donating Member

Well the LPGA schedule has big gaps so you might be able to find a time with no contest running.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Administrator

I'll be implementing a DNS nameserver change just after the CN Canadian Women's Open Hopefully the roleover should be seamless with no delay, but if not the forum will be down for a couple of days. This will not include a forum update.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
NTB

hey Rusty I joined today..
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Administrator

Ah thanks NTB but that is now just a test forum for what will be this site when the upgrade is complete. As soon as the upgrade is complete the rawreview website will be gone.