Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
PW
Senior Member
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 926
Suggestion for new rule

I was listening to an interview with a senator yesterday and he said they had a sort of unwritten rule in the senate (which unfortunately isn't followed all that much recently) which is in a debate, it's okay to question someone's judgement, but not okay to judge someone's motives (or intelligence for that matter).

Since that interview, I have noticed a lot of people attacking motives here and in the Wie site. People saying things like "you're only saying that because ...." People have occasionally questioned my motives in postings and have, without exception, been totally wrong and have only succeeded in ticking me off. I'm sure the same is true for others.

Not sure if we want to make it a rule, but it's a good rule of thumb. Questioning motives does little to add to a good discussion.

Last edited by PW; 08-11-2007 at 11:43 AM.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Warren, Ohio
Posts: 8,807
Does that also apply to being called a "basher" whenever we happen to disagree with something?
__________________
Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.
MarinePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,613
I agree with your suggestion PW.
There are numerous times in threads where people are discussing actual issues, and then someone comes along with a post like "you are only saying that because you don't like Julieta" or "you are only saying that because you are such a big Stacy fan".
If people decided to just focus on the issues instead and debate the points, that would be much better.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
PW
Senior Member
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Does that also apply to being called a "basher" whenever we happen to disagree with something?
Depends on the context I guess. It would be fine, imo, to say a poster is making an unfair attack on a player. However, I would avoid implying motives or name calling.

Paddyman summed it up well, just focus on the issue.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,688
I disagree. You should be able to say what ever you want about a player.

What you should not be able to do is make harrasing personal attacks on posters. However where the line is I can not tell. What seperates a good argument or a satirical comment from harrasment I do not know (I try to put a smiley if I am only joking). We will have to leave that up to admin or the moderators.

In reference to the Wie sister site, I think that a determination needs to be made if it is a "FAN" site or an "Open" discussion site. There is a large number of Fans there that I think would perfer it as a FAN only site and do not really tolerate the comments by some of the posters that only post negative things. I would like to see it as an open discussion site.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
wiefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,489
Hi ya xman....you mentioned the sister site as ?? "Fan site or discussion site".....does this question also apply to mylpga's LPGA Player folder....there has been a lot of dissent from some posters that certain LPGA player folder's have been "hi-jacked" with the insertion of unnecessary comparisons with other players.....so if the sister Wie site is declared "open discussion of anything under the sun"....does the Mylpga Player folder fall under the same criteria

as far as "judgements vs Motives" go....personally, I think we all know which side of the fence most posters are on when it comes to discussing certain players...so "motives" sort of falls hand in hand with any "judgement" type statements....hard to sometimes seperate or distinguish between the two.....this is just my opinion....like you said....a helps to ease this confusion

anyway....this is a discussion site primarily, and also a "fan" site....so I guess a mixture of both will occur at any given time....poster's post for various reasons.....it is hard to control sometimes, but sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good and try to make the best of it

anyway....the above is just my personal opinion....have a good day....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Warren, Ohio
Posts: 8,807
Originally Posted by PW View Post
Depends on the context I guess. It would be fine, imo, to say a poster is making an unfair attack on a player. However, I would avoid implying motives or name calling.

Paddyman summed it up well, just focus on the issue.
I was labeled a "basher" years ago, going back to the old site, because I wasn't afraid to state an opinion. When I saw preferential treatment, I wasn't afraid to point it out. I believe that if you're accused of something you have every right to defend yourself.

It's not as simple as just context. How about telling another poster that their opinion isn't valid, or that they have nothing to add to the discussion? That stops short of calling somebody stupid, but it certainly borders on it.
__________________
Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.
MarinePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
PW
Senior Member
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I disagree. You should be able to say what ever you want about a player.

What you should not be able to do is make harrasing personal attacks on posters. However where the line is I can not tell. What seperates a good argument or a satirical comment from harrasment I do not know (I try to put a smiley if I am only joking). We will have to leave that up to admin or the moderators.

In reference to the Wie sister site, I think that a determination needs to be made if it is a "FAN" site or an "Open" discussion site. There is a large number of Fans there that I think would perfer it as a FAN only site and do not really tolerate the comments by some of the posters that only post negative things. I would like to see it as an open discussion site.
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I didn't say you couldn't criticize a player, I was talking about comments about other posters.

The Wie site is a separate issue. I don't think anyone wants it to be a fan only site, discussion is fine. However, I don't think it should become a site like the TGC site either. Anyway, that's a subject for a different thread.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
PW
Senior Member
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
I was labeled a "basher" years ago, going back to the old site, because I wasn't afraid to state an opinion. When I saw preferential treatment, I wasn't afraid to point it out. I believe that if you're accused of something you have every right to defend yourself.

It's not as simple as just context. How about telling another poster that their opinion isn't valid, or that they have nothing to add to the discussion? That stops short of calling somebody stupid, but it certainly borders on it.
Did I say you couldn't defend yourself?
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,613
Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
It's not as simple as just context. How about telling another poster that their opinion isn't valid, or that they have nothing to add to the discussion? That stops short of calling somebody stupid, but it certainly borders on it.
When was there such an incident?
I do recall you accusing me of something like that, but that is not how it went.
Carol kept repeatedly interjecting into a discussion with things like:
Paddyman, can you just drop it?
and

Paddyman always has to get the last word. He always does.
I merely told him that he should contribute to the debate with actual meaningful opinions, instead of just interjecting calling on other people to stop expressing their opinions. Isn't a forum for the expression of opinions?

I did NOT say that he hadn't his own opinion or that he had nothing to add to the discussion. In fact I directly asked him to add something to the discussion, instead of just asking for other people to stop making comments that he didn't agree with.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!