LPGA Golf Forum

LPGA Golf Forum (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/)
-   myLPGA (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f50/)
-   -   Suggestion for new rule (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f50/suggestion-new-rule-3101.html)

PW 08-11-2007 11:36 AM

Suggestion for new rule

I was listening to an interview with a senator yesterday and he said they had a sort of unwritten rule in the senate (which unfortunately isn't followed all that much recently) which is in a debate, it's okay to question someone's judgement, but not okay to judge someone's motives (or intelligence for that matter).

Since that interview, I have noticed a lot of people attacking motives here and in the Wie site. People saying things like "you're only saying that because ...." People have occasionally questioned my motives in postings and have, without exception, been totally wrong and have only succeeded in ticking me off. I'm sure the same is true for others.

Not sure if we want to make it a rule, but it's a good rule of thumb. Questioning motives does little to add to a good discussion.

MarinePaul 08-11-2007 12:09 PM

Does that also apply to being called a "basher" whenever we happen to disagree with something?

paddyman 08-11-2007 12:49 PM

I agree with your suggestion PW.
There are numerous times in threads where people are discussing actual issues, and then someone comes along with a post like "you are only saying that because you don't like Julieta" or "you are only saying that because you are such a big Stacy fan".
If people decided to just focus on the issues instead and debate the points, that would be much better.

PW 08-11-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePaul (Post 48469)
Does that also apply to being called a "basher" whenever we happen to disagree with something?

Depends on the context I guess. It would be fine, imo, to say a poster is making an unfair attack on a player. However, I would avoid implying motives or name calling.

Paddyman summed it up well, just focus on the issue.

xman5 08-11-2007 02:14 PM

I disagree. You should be able to say what ever you want about a player.

What you should not be able to do is make harrasing personal attacks on posters. However where the line is I can not tell. What seperates a good argument or a satirical comment from harrasment I do not know (I try to put a smiley if I am only joking). We will have to leave that up to admin or the moderators.

In reference to the Wie sister site, I think that a determination needs to be made if it is a "FAN" site or an "Open" discussion site. There is a large number of Fans there that I think would perfer it as a FAN only site and do not really tolerate the comments by some of the posters that only post negative things. I would like to see it as an open discussion site.

wiefan 08-11-2007 02:51 PM

Hi ya xman....you mentioned the sister site as ?? "Fan site or discussion site".....does this question also apply to mylpga's LPGA Player folder....there has been a lot of dissent from some posters that certain LPGA player folder's have been "hi-jacked" with the insertion of unnecessary comparisons with other players.....so if the sister Wie site is declared "open discussion of anything under the sun"....does the Mylpga Player folder fall under the same criteria

as far as "judgements vs Motives" go....personally, I think we all know which side of the fence most posters are on when it comes to discussing certain players...so "motives" sort of falls hand in hand with any "judgement" type statements....hard to sometimes seperate or distinguish between the two.....this is just my opinion....like you said....a :wink2::smile: helps to ease this confusion

anyway....this is a discussion site primarily, and also a "fan" site....so I guess a mixture of both will occur at any given time....poster's post for various reasons.....it is hard to control sometimes, but sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good and try to make the best of it

anyway....the above is just my personal opinion....have a good day....see ya!!

MarinePaul 08-11-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PW (Post 48486)
Depends on the context I guess. It would be fine, imo, to say a poster is making an unfair attack on a player. However, I would avoid implying motives or name calling.

Paddyman summed it up well, just focus on the issue.

I was labeled a "basher" years ago, going back to the old site, because I wasn't afraid to state an opinion. When I saw preferential treatment, I wasn't afraid to point it out. I believe that if you're accused of something you have every right to defend yourself.

It's not as simple as just context. How about telling another poster that their opinion isn't valid, or that they have nothing to add to the discussion? That stops short of calling somebody stupid, but it certainly borders on it.

PW 08-11-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman5 (Post 48490)
I disagree. You should be able to say what ever you want about a player.

What you should not be able to do is make harrasing personal attacks on posters. However where the line is I can not tell. What seperates a good argument or a satirical comment from harrasment I do not know (I try to put a smiley if I am only joking). We will have to leave that up to admin or the moderators.

In reference to the Wie sister site, I think that a determination needs to be made if it is a "FAN" site or an "Open" discussion site. There is a large number of Fans there that I think would perfer it as a FAN only site and do not really tolerate the comments by some of the posters that only post negative things. I would like to see it as an open discussion site.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I didn't say you couldn't criticize a player, I was talking about comments about other posters.

The Wie site is a separate issue. I don't think anyone wants it to be a fan only site, discussion is fine. However, I don't think it should become a site like the TGC site either. Anyway, that's a subject for a different thread.

PW 08-11-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePaul (Post 48496)
I was labeled a "basher" years ago, going back to the old site, because I wasn't afraid to state an opinion. When I saw preferential treatment, I wasn't afraid to point it out. I believe that if you're accused of something you have every right to defend yourself.

It's not as simple as just context. How about telling another poster that their opinion isn't valid, or that they have nothing to add to the discussion? That stops short of calling somebody stupid, but it certainly borders on it.

Did I say you couldn't defend yourself?

paddyman 08-11-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePaul (Post 48496)

When was there such an incident?
I do recall you accusing me of something like that, but that is not how it went.
Carol kept repeatedly interjecting into a discussion with things like:
Quote:

Paddyman, can you just drop it?:ani_pc:
and

Quote:

Paddyman always has to get the last word. He always does.:ani_boohoo:
I merely told him that he should contribute to the debate with actual meaningful opinions, instead of just interjecting calling on other people to stop expressing their opinions. Isn't a forum for the expression of opinions?

I did NOT say that he hadn't his own opinion or that he had nothing to add to the discussion. In fact I directly asked him to add something to the discussion, instead of just asking for other people to stop making comments that he didn't agree with.