Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Record Breaking Viewership

Hi ya everyone....YEP!!! I am awake...some of you probably thought I was dead instead because of Wiesy's trials and tribulations....just kidding folks

anyway...I would like to talk about this Record number of Viewers that this site has been taking these last few day....it is incredible....for the longest period of time it was set at somewhere around 80 or so (members and visitors)....on Thursday it went to somewhere in the mid-hundred....on Friday, I thought I saw it at high hundreds.....but this morning....it went into the 200+....I couldn't believe it.....

after my much needed NAP....I come on and the record is at 685....are you kidding me.....at the time I logged in it was at almost 500 active people.....the tournament folder had a big number, the Wiesy folder had a HUGE number.....BUT THIS IS WHAT I LIKE BEST......there was about at least 10 LPGA Player's folder being visited....and you gotta figure that since almost every folder "DIDN'T" have any "RECENT" posts....people were just browsing at older stuff about different players by posters.....NOW!!!! THIS WAS GREAT TO SEE.....I guess what I am saying is that it was awfully good to see that people come to this site and they can eventually find something that interests them....this is good for the LPGA players also....it was nice to see some of the players getting a "Look and see"...some of these folders haven't been viewed in a very long time....I can tell because if you look at a player's folder, it shows in brackets exactly how many "Viewers" they have

now I am going to say this....and I know it will rattle a lot of people's cages...but I am going to say it anyway.....remember when fans of Wiesy said she can draw people to Tournaments just with her presense and this is the exposure that the LPGA needs...eventually those that came because of Wiesy exploits will EXPLORE other stuff while they are there....well....same goes for this site....personally, I think the Wie Saga, controversy, debate, contests, silly nonsense ....all of the activity of the Wie Folder has somehow brought in a load of new viewers....not all Fans of Wie, not all anti fans of Wie....but important ADDED viewers nonetheless....there!!! I said it...I have stated my piece....you may or may not like what I just said....but I believe this to be true....NOW!!!

I am not saying that this record number of Viewers are just because of ONLY Wiesy....in fact...all I am saying is that she had a REALLY BIG PART in the beginning of this record movement....it was the love and intrest of Women's golf and it's other stuff that really made this record.....the record wasn't hit until way "AFTER" Wiesy had already been packed in.....so I say the Wie Saga gets credit for drawing the people through these gates but the increase must have been done "Word or Mouth" style

here is another theory of mine....I have "Visited" the golf channel discussion site and I have noticed how "BRUTAL" that place is....perhaps there are some people that like a site that is less brutal and more civil....like this mylpga site .....perhaps this is the "Niche" that Admin has over the Golf Channel discussion site....I would like to think we can all KEEP IT THIS WAY....keeping things civil is the only way to go and so far this is what this site is...congrats to all of our present posters and moderators....and also a great big thanks to Admin for making a place where we all can meet

anyway....I also hope that some of these NEW visitors will eventually stay and perhaps even post a few times.....it is always good to hear what others have to say....an opinion is just an opinion....God didn't make everyone to think exactly the same...this is why we have discussion boards

anyway....I am off to pick up some chairs that my spouse and I had refinished....YIKES!!! why am I telling you my personal stuff!!!.....ahhh sometimes I just get caught up in my own ramblings

anyway....just my thoughts on this matter.....if you wish to comment "Pro or Con" please feel free to do so....I won't get disheartened either way....Both Wiesy and I have had our "DisHEARTMENT" quota for the day.....just kidding folks....the kid is still young and the best is still YET TO COME!!!

anyway....have a good day everyone and Congratulations to Admin on this great achievement....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #2

Wiefan, I can't believe that you actually think Wie is a big part of the increased viewing of this site. She may have some interst, but I think most people who think about the LPGA think more in terms of Annika, Lorean, Paula, Morgan and Company.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
DHG

Or as Ron Sirak put it:
"And for the second tournament in a row the hundreds of people following Wie seemed to be doing so not so much because they expected to be entertained by sensational shots but rather because they were waiting for what felt like the inevitable crash. North Carolina is, after all, NASCAR country. That's pretty much what they got at Pine Needles. Wie put together 27 pretty painful holes to watch."
DHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #4

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Wiefan, I can't believe that you actually think Wie is a big part of the increased viewing of this site. She may have some interst, but I think most people who think about the LPGA think more in terms of Annika, Lorean, Paula, Morgan and Company.
I noticed during the 2nd round that 235 members were on the forum and 201 of them were viewing the Wie folder.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #5

Originally Posted by paddyman View Post
I noticed during the 2nd round that 235 members were on the forum and 201 of them were viewing the Wie folder.

You seem to take pleasure in that It's probably people from the TGC board loading up on fodder to blast you later.
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #6

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Every come upon a accident that is not blocking the road but the traffic is nearly at a standstill because of "rubber-neckers"?

That's what is happening in the Wiesy folder, people are "rubber-neck-reading" about the Wiesy train wreck.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #7

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Every come upon a accident that is not blocking the road but the traffic is nearly at a standstill because of "rubber-neckers"?

That's what is happening in the Wiesy folder, people are "rubber-neck-reading" about the Wiesy train wreck.
You may be right. The point is, though, that the LPGA consists of its members, rather than a single part- time player. When I started posting here, the last thing I expected was a constant barrage of Wiemania. I actually thought the site was called "myLPGA," rather than "The Unofficial Michelle Wie Site."
Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #8

I hate to pop the bubble but there is something wrong with the system that's causing the illusion that all kinds of people are looking at the site.

If you go to the message boards area and select "currently active users" you will see that it appears that many bogus guests are listed. It looks like certain clicks show up as "guests". Much of the problems are in the new photo gallery area.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #9

"Guests" is any person or bot visiting this site that is not logged in.

What is wrong with the photo gallery?
x-admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #10

Hi ya Marinepaul....when you mention the LPGA...of course it is about the LPGA players or "Others" playing in the LPGA event....BUT the topic of this conversation is about the "Record Number of Viewers on this site at ONE GIVEN TIME"....surely the Huge amount of Viewers crowding one folder is an indication of Rhyme and reason....whether or not is it to follow the kid and hope she does well, Gloat, or read about old stuff....the fact remains that the Wie folder did get the vast MAJORITY number of viewers during this record breaking amount...that is all I am saying....I am not saying that these viewers are not fans of the LPGA...the LPGA has it's members that bring in a lot of the viewers....the Wiesy viewership and the LPGA viewership has always been "constant in total" for a long period of time....it was this tremendous BOOST that I am talking about.....do you think I am still incorrect....you said this about Wiesy's influence in this total..." She may have some interst".....I personally think that when her folder gets the BIG BIG majority of the viewership at that given time...it is more than "SOME".....tell me that I am wrong!!!

I am not debating about which direction this site goes....whether or not it is like you said ""myLPGA," rather than "The Unofficial Michelle Wie Site.".....I am talking about rhyme and reason behind the record number of Viewership

like I said earlier....I believe that Wiesy caused this record.....that being said...I also this is a GOOD thing...it gives these viewers an opportunity to view LPGA stuff after they get their fill of Wiemania ups and downs.....that is why it was great to see other player folders getting views

perhaps the difference between you and me are this...we both wanted for the longest time to have more people join this site....here is the difference....you want the people to come to this site with an all exclusive LPGA or LPGA related tournament mentality....for me....I don't care what brings them to the dance...at least GET THEM TO COME....after that....who knows....maybe some of them will become future posters and bring new ideas to this discussions.....the key is getting them to at least come....this is the part that is tricky....you just don't want to admit that Wiesy was the BIG factor in this....you want to believe that it was the LPGA and it's players that are mostly responsible since you said Wiesy did only "SOME"....if that is your belief....so be it....now it would be good if all of those record number of viewers did come because of the LPGA and ONLY the LPGA.....but I don't think that was the case....or do you think I am incorrect in this logic also??

anyway....you are a big proponent of "Sticking to the TOPIC of the thread"....somehow, you have strayed from it....but not a big thing...I do the same thing all of the time.....but the topic was about rhyme and reason for the Record and also to congratulate Admin.....not about the direction of this site....however, it does have it's "tie-ins"...so you are not totally incorrect

anyway....lets see if tomorrow we have a "NEW" record number of Viewers to watch a very good exciting tournament....if we do.....then you are correct!!..... slight disclaimer, I would think you will have to subtract those viewing the Wiesy folder to get your "TRUE BLUE CAME FOR LPGA ONLY" actual viewers.

anyway...again Congratulations to Admin and his staff for a terriffic and popular site....see ya....have a good evening Marinepaul....don't sweat the irrelevant stuff....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote