Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Administrator

Possible hosting change

I'm investigating a host change due to the amount of database errors this host has. The downside of this is the forum might be offline for a couple of days If I do make the change I'll be sure to do it off peak and not during a tournament.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I'm investigating a host change due to the amount of database errors this host has. The downside of this is the forum might be offline for a couple of days If I do make the change I'll be sure to do it off peak and not during a tournament.
That's good Rusty...for everyone to take a little break. That'll calm everyone down a little bit!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

No problem, Rusty. I've found the site quite slow to load the last week or so. Also I came in here as a guest for the first time in a while and found adverts in the top post of each page. Not sure if that's a regular occurrence or not, but it was off putting trying to read the post.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Administrator

I've added adverts for guests last week as the other ad was not doing so well. Its actually working not to badly. Its not something I really wanted to do but the site has to make money somehow.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
NTB

I've added adverts for guests last week as the other ad was not doing so well. Its actually working not to badly. Its not something I really wanted to do but the site has to make money somehow.
Rusty your in Australia I'm in the USA I have six sites I have built for people.
three pay for their own the others I pay for.
Being the cheap person that I am I use 1.00 a month sites. Everyone is happy.
The one I use has unlimited bandwidth.
Except for the church site none gets hits like yours.
My question does it really cost all that much to support mylpga?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Administrator

It costs around 13 dollars a month on the current plan. However this host can no longer support it and trying to find a suitable host is proving difficult as there are a few technical issues and the hosts recommended are 20-30 dollars a month. Bandwidth isn't the problem really its got more to do with SQL connections on shared hosting.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
NTB

This hosting has a chat they might be able to help you for less money.
I don't host huge sites so the one dollar plan so far is all I need.
They have others.
Welcome to WebHostingWorld.Net | Cheap WebHosting | Reliable Hosting | Affordable HOsting | Cpanel Hosting | Linux Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Server Hosting
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Donating Member

What kind of stuff does it take to set up a forum? I have a buddy starting to look into a travel forum for his senior travel group. I have done web pages before and a long time ago connected a web page to a Filemaker database. That would be hard for me to re-do these days and impossible for my buddie. I just thought forums were as easy as blogger.com these days, but it sounds like it is more complicated.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Administrator

The software is not really that hard to install, it has some pretty good instructions. You need to set up a mysql database which is pretty easy if your host has cpanel. There is a bit of learning curve once the software is installed. We run vbulletin which cost a bit of money to buy. but there are some free forum software available. Let me know when you are ready to set it up I can give you a hand if you like. Or if you would like me to do an install for you I can do that no problem.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Donating Member

The software is not really that hard to install, it has some pretty good instructions. You need to set up a mysql database which is pretty easy if your host has cpanel. There is a bit of learning curve once the software is installed. We run vbulletin which cost a bit of money to buy. but there are some free forum software available. Let me know when you are ready to set it up I can give you a hand if you like. Or if you would like me to do an install for you I can do that no problem.
I will let him know of your offer. It might be awhile, they need to try other stuff (blogs and email). But what they really need is a threaded forum.

When I did my stuff I had a local ISP that would host all the scripting languages and stuff required (I can't even remember any more, geez it has only been 10 years).

I have noticed that many forums I attend seem to have similar organization and formatting. I assumed they were using the same software or all hosted by the same place.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote