Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #11

Rusty, it's offensive to some because of the implication. Similarly i find Mike Whan being called 'Smiley' offensive. in both cases it's demeaning and supposed to be.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Administrator

Thanks Heddwyn. I need a few more members opinions on derogatory terms towards players or members being used and moderated. Also if anyone would like to stand up and say anything about how they feel about members being censored. I'm personally against censorship, people use offensive terms towards public figures to lend credibility to there argument and opinion, it's pretty much how the media operates now days to use techniques to turn the subject into a joke and lend credit to there argument.

For example: if i was to call Mike Whan "Smiley" because he smiles all the time and then associate that smile with fakeness and fraud and people agree with that, because I have have associated his smile in a negative light it lends credibility when i say that he is an incompetent commissioner for whatever reason. People like Mike Whan deal with media criticism and name calling much worse than that through the media.

I have nothing against Mike Whan personally and think he is doing a good job, and don't resort to name calling tactic to win my arguments however i do recognize that it's a tactic used frequently to try and win debates and influence opinion.

Last edited by Rusty; 01-01-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: tried to explain better
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #13

Ah...leave it the way it is Rusty and don't worry about it. It's hard to please everyone, you know. If they can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And if they don't like it here, don't let the door knob hit them on the rear.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Ah...leave it the way it is Rusty and don't worry about it. It's hard to please everyone, you know. If they can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And if they don't like it here, don't let the door knob hit them on the rear.
It doesn't happen often, but I agree with bob on this one. Being a sports fan is all about having favorites and not-favorites. A few nicknames like Princess or Smiley is par for the course (pun not intended) and livens up the discussion.

Derogatory comments and nicknames aimed at other posters is another matter. We, the posters, are not the subject of this discussion board and are not public figures.

Last edited by Blue; 01-01-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Contest Statistician

Darn we agree with DB. Things are ok. Satire and puns with names are ok. Censorship should only take place in severe cases a racist remarks, etc.

Mods can be part of an argument, but can not use there mod powers in the argument.

Basically much ado about nothing.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #16

I'm with Dangerbob (and I don't often call him that), Blue and Xman on this one.
Nobody can tell me whom I have to like, nor can they tell me to not like a particular golfer. And if it's not cool to split infinitives, too bad. I'll do as I damn please in choosing my favorites, and in writing about them.
If they play like a dork I'll tell you they played like a dork......but I won't call them a dork.
Xman said it just about right.....much ado about nothing.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #17

Originally Posted by tonj5 View Post
After 2,599 posts, you sure deserve it.

Wow! That's impressive of you Saint. Congrats! Yeah, you deserve it!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 AM   #18

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
It doesn't happen often, but I agree with bob on this one.
Originally Posted by xman5
Darn we agree with DB. Things are ok.
Originally Posted by Buzzer
I'm with Dangerbob (and I don't often call him that), Blue and Xman on this one.
You guys are not starting the year right for me. If you all agree with me, that's too boring for me. I only exist here to annoy and harass everyone, so if you agree with me, that's no fun!

But thank you anyway!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #19

Okay, got it, we can be disrespectful of players and LPGA officials, but must respect fellow forum members.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #20

You guys are not starting the year right for me. If you all agree with me, that's too boring for me. I only exist here to annoy and harass everyone, so if you agree with me, that's no fun!
But thank you anyway!
You gotta know about the blind hog picking up an acorn once in awhile, eh?
So you got the acorn this time, but I expect your regular to follow closely behind.
How's your New Year going so far, Boobalou? I'm nursing a lousy cold that was a gift from one of my grandkids......only five are suspect donors. Take care AND where are you?
Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote