Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #21
NTB

Rainman..I worked in a store for a while and got robbed one night.
A policeman told me shooters are shooters non-shooters are not it's that simple.
Posters post non poster don't.
If you wish to pick on someone then pick on the ones that never or hardly ever post
But are quick to bash and tear everyone down.
This Rainman is the reason more people will not post.
I must be a bit of a masochist as I get a kick out of them.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #22
Administrator

One problem is that I find is that there are a lot of lurkers. Just logging in now I see 10 guests and 2 users. Somehow they need to be turned into users.

I'll be putting in an easier registration system fairly soon and making forum reading more limited for guests. Hopefully this will encourage the lurkers to join and participate.

Adding a direct section here for the PGA opens the possibility that the site becomes overwhelmed with the PGA and the LPGA gets lost.

I'll fill you in on the overall picture of what is going through my mind, and what I'm trying to accomplish here by adding these categories. Firstly my intention is never to have a PGA or any other category dominate over the LPGA. If this category and the others are implemented it will be by member majority feedback and agreement, The PGA section will be put in a subfolder of the anything section. I understand that this is primarily a LPGA forum and I'm fully aware the main focus is on the LPGA.

My primary objective at the moment is to get new members to join, and for current members to actively post. myLPGA is very niche site and I’d like to give members and new users more to talk about, and to encourage posting and discussion even if it is off topic, so long as it’s discussions about golf.

Adding this category and others will give new users through search engines a few more ways to find the myLPGA site. and potentially switch there interest from general golf, the PGA, to the LPGA.

As far as people interested in the PGA can just go to a PGA site if they want to discuss PGA. I don’t particularly want members or potential new members to have to resort to going to another site. Every post on this forum even if it’s not on the LPGA has the potential to be indexed by search engines and refer the visitor to the myLPGA site, thus promoting the discussion of the LPGA even more.

My motive in adding these categories are not to overshadow the LPGA at all but to encourage members to post more, and new users to join to talk about the LPGA.

Also the way I see it is if a member is not interested not interested in a topic or thread they dont have to click on it or reply or comment. I'll even look at a filter so you don’t have to see the category at all if you don’t want to. Keep the feedback coming i wont implement any changes without the majority and consent of the members here.

Last edited by Rusty; 12-08-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #23

wowWIE....I have only one thing to say....tsk tsk tsk RUSTY....this is the 2nd thread you have started and FIREWORKS Happen

Your "Hi I am Rusty" thread suddenly got kinda "ERUPTED"....and now this " Hi I am Rusty your new Admin, I wish for Member feedback" is leaning to another "potential expolsion"....

Admin Rusty....you are batting "O for two".....perhaps when you start a NEW thread you should Title it " Michelle Wie will be the Savior of Women's golf" or "McCain should have won"....this types of threads will probably bring "Less Volital action" than those that you have started...tsk tsk Rusty

Just kidding folks....I was just getting "sarcastic" about those "Innocent threads" started by Rusty....it seem like they start off very mild and innocent and then a "Tangent" is said and after that...all hell is about to burst.....but isn't this just like a discussion Board....there are so many posters from all of the world and they all have different interest and personalities....of course not everyone is going to agree....the only "Click" I see here is that everyone has an interest in Women's golf....the reason that perhaps a "Click" is inferred is that some posters like to post plenty of stuff and some don't....some post stuff about something that they are interested in and usually only posters that know or want to comment about that subject responds.....some posters like me respond, because of my addiction to responding and also sneaking a "go Wiesy go" promotion....I don't belong to any "click"...I am like Wiesy....I march to the beat of my own Drummer.....I believe that a lot of posters are like me....everyone here just do stuff that is of interest of them or they wish to converse with others that share or disagree with their views....simple AS THAT....Like Blue said....there are a lot of people here that have tremendous arguments on different topics....in the end....no one hates each other and want a WISH Death would fall upon them....heck!! you cannot take discussion board stuff as "Life and death" and too personal...you just gotta "roll with the punches"

so whadda ya say everyone....let's everyone hold hands and sing "Kum Bai Ya"....until Rusty starts another controversial thread....there is NO conspiracy theory here on this site....the "Us against them" syndrome differs DAILY depending on the subject matter....Teams are formed when the line of sand is drawn on a subject....different topics determine which team you are on...sometimes your comrade was just your opponent a few days ago on a different topic....sometimes you don't even belong on any side if you are "wishy washy" like me....even this doesn't matter on a discussion site....opinions change like the wind in some topics...this is why discussions are great....you learn a lot of different stuff that you didn't know

a great example of this is the topic of Carolyn Bivens....there are naysayers and their are backers....she screws up, some backers switch sides.....she does something good, some naysayers switch sides....you take what information Posters post and then you decide for yourself which side of the fence to take....there is NO conspiracy ganging up...you just go with what "Moves you"

anyway folks....this is my 2 cents...plus I needed the typing exercise....anyway....all of you have a good day....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #24
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

I'll be putting in an easier registration system fairly soon and making forum reading more limited for guests. Hopefully this will encourage the lurkers to join and participate.
I think the old admin tried this at one point and quickly reverted it. Making it more difficult for lurkers to read does not encourage them to join and participate. It usually just makes them go away forever. In order to ever feel comfortable enough to join, let alone to post, most people have to spend considerable time reading posts to see what the site is about. Take that away and you'll take away potential members.

As with any internet discussion board there will be people who lurk and never join and members who rarely post. Restricting lurking won't help that. The best way to help that is to encourage interesting and relevant content that draws people in.

You've been here for about a week and probably have seen what content draw people in. It's not always about golf. And it's also not only the discussions. We've had contests and polls on this site that attract a lot of members, some of whom never post in the discussions but just participate in the contests and polls. One way to grow the site might be to add some tools to make these functions easier to run.

That's more of my 2 cents.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #25

Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
... so, pretty much leave things the way they are right now ? It's working fine, right ? For all six of you ?
Actually, it's only five. We voted Wiefan out.

The fact is, friendships have developed over the years. I've agreed with nearly every poster at one time or another, and have disagreed with those same posters at other times. I've met some, and would love to meet some of the others.

If you've posted something that you feel was ignored, maybe it wasn't controversial. NTB often posts things that aren't responded to, either because they aren't of interest to some of us, or because there's simply no need to respond.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #26
NTB

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Actually, it's only five. We voted Wiefan out..
You know Mp it would be a good thing to put DB's laughing face after
a statement like the one above. People really think you are serious.

Besides you voted to keep Wiefan in
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #27
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I think the old admin tried this at one point and quickly reverted it. Making it more difficult for lurkers to read does not encourage them to join and participate. It usually just makes them go away forever. In order to ever feel comfortable enough to join, let alone to post, most people have to spend considerable time reading posts to see what the site is about. Take that away and you'll take away potential members.

As with any internet discussion board there will be people who lurk and never join and members who rarely post. Restricting lurking won't help that. The best way to help that is to encourage interesting and relevant content that draws people in.

You've been here for about a week and probably have seen what content draw people in. It's not always about golf. And it's also not only the discussions. We've had contests and polls on this site that attract a lot of members, some of whom never post in the discussions but just participate in the contests and polls. One way to grow the site might be to add some tools to make these functions easier to run.

That's more of my 2 cents.
I have to agree with Blue.

Also lets not be so tough on Rusty. Remember that he has invested his time and money to keep the site going. Also he is trying to make the site better, you may not agree with every suggestion, but he is trying. At least he is putting the suggestions out to the community. Hopefully what ever he decides to do will workout for the best.

PS. Who will win the Shark Shootout
PPS. Ok that was a joke. Dancing Banana for no reason.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #28

Hi ya everyone...being "voted " out...does not deter me one iota....sort of like being voted out of the Security Council of the United Nations....I will just grow my own "Nuclear Bombs" with out anyone knowing.....hmmm....sounds familiar????

anyway...I am off to work....have a good day everyone....see ya!!....go Wiesy go!!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #29

Smile

Gosh, Rainman....up in post #16 you say that this is the first time you've posted in 8 months. So that means you are part of the problem, eh? Why don't you join us and become part of the solution....

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #30

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
You know Mp it would be a good thing to put DB's laughing face after
a statement like the one above. People really think you are serious.

Besides you voted to keep Wiefan in
He needed my vote. He voted himself out.