Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

I have no idea what Buzzer's group is and I'm one of the site's most active users but hardly ever send or receive private messages. I think the notion of an inner clique may be over-stated. Or else I'm just too uncool to know about it.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Contest Statistician

Can't say that I ever send a pm. One problem is that I find is that there are a lot of lurkers. Just logging in now I see 10 guests and 2 users. Somehow they need to be turned into users.

I think that overall it is a friendly place, though some arguments can get heated, but in a good natured way. This is not a very intimidating crowd. Recently I have seen a bunch of new names.

Just wait till Wie starts playing. I think that will liven up the discussions and draw in some more posters. The weekly contest can draw some new people too.

Until the season starts things are in a lull, so there will not be much posting.

I have no problem posting anything in the anything section, just do not want to see the site turned into a PGA site or a Tiger site. The biggest thread that we ever had was probably about the Election and not golf anyway. I am going to the Mens US Open this year, so I will certainly post about my experience there so not totally against other discussions. Don't want to make it seem that way.

Many of the people here are refugees from the LPGA discussion site. That is when this site was started by the x-admin. Funny I was more of a lurker on the LPGA site then a poster. I did not find this site until months after it was started, while I wandered alone in the wilderness.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #13

The old LPGA site was where many of us met and became friends, or at least friendly enemies, just as Xman5 says. It was great catching up with the old crowd when this site started, so some of us do go back several years.

Discussions of any kind are, of course, welcomed. The biggest fear most of us have about adding PGA discussions is that it'll become more about the guys than the ladies. It's really a fine line, I suppose.

I agree that Wie will heat the boards up. Hopefully, it won't become strictly a Wie site, either, which is another possibility.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #14

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Part of what has made this site enjoyable is that we don't always agree. Whether it's politics, Wie, or whatever, we have varied opinions. Sometimes the discussions have gotten heated, but more often than not, people I disagree with on one subject, I agree with on another.

As far as welcoming new posters, I've always made it a point to try to welcome newcomers. I know that Buzzer, NTB, Blue, Wiefan and others have done the same thing.

It's a discussion site. We don't necessarily hold hands and sing "Kumbaya," but for the most part, we get along pretty well. The posters I've had the opportunity to meet, much like Buzzer's experience, have all been great. Whatever put a bee in your butt, I can say pretty safely that it probably wasn't personal.
... so, pretty much leave things the way they are right now ? It's working fine, right ? For all six of you ?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
NTB

Shortcake give us one time we left you are anyone else out.
You are as much a part of mylpga as anyone.
How have we become a click? We far the most part were the first on board
mylpga that can't be helped. This does not make a click.
This is in your minds.

Think about this why was this not brought up with Admin before?
I am at a loss. What is trying to be accomplished here?

Last edited by NTB; 12-08-2008 at 08:01 PM.
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #16

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
Talk about distrusting and paranoid. Geees.
I have totally been slaughtered from time to time by what you call core group.
I take it like a man and don't cry.
You are trying the ol (friends romans and country men) routine on the new owner.
I think Rusty is smarter then that,
And now... there is no Buzzers group thats a crock.
Look man, you get on a forum knowing people are not always gonna agree with you.
So, notax, I guess you're saying I'm the paranoid one? Wait a minute, Ive been seeing a brown panel truck around the neighborhood. I'll bet that's you! You've been watching me, huh?

(Just a joke, people. I don't think notax is watching me and I'm not gonna confront the UPS guy.)

Anyways, maybe "paranoid" was overstating it. As for Buzzer's group, i was referring to when Shortcake said something about how few people post on the boards, and told (then moderator) Buzzer that it was just the six of them. Buzzer said, in effect, that Shortcake was sadly mistaken if he considered himself to be "one of the six". "Moderator" Buzzer went on to say that they have a nice core group and may have room for a couple more but it wasn't really necessary. That was 8 months ago and things haven't changed much. If anything, the number of posters may have dwindled since then.

I'm not trying to pull the wool over Rusty's eyes, but I was trying to stir things up a little so he could get a better taste of the myLPGA stew. I think he knows the score pretty well now. "Welcomes" notwithstanding, "the group" is really only interested in reading each others' posts and new or infrequent posters usually end up talking to themselves.

Okay, I guess I'm wrong about people using this site primarily to send private messages. I just can't figure out why I'll sometimes come and see 5 users signed on but none of them have posted anything in months. If they aren't sending private messages to each other then I guess there is even less activity here than I thought.

The reason that there are more names recently may be that some of the lurkers had to log in to view the "discussions" in the Members Only Lounge. The only reason I logged in (for the first time in 8 months) was to read about the new owner. Since I was logged in, i figured I might as well post.

Soooooo ... I guess this turned into some kind of manifesto. :)

Don't worry, my plan is to go back into hibernation and follow with interest to see if Rusty can bring Obamaesque change to myLPGA.
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
NTB

Rainman I start post all the time and most of them get no action.
I don't feel left out or unloved.
Reply or not my intention is only information.
Go back a bit and look at the post I did about videos.
Look at the one smartass reply I got.
I thought it was funny and did not take it personal.
Relax Rainman from time to time you will get a lot of replys.
If you don't so what....
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
I think he knows the score pretty well now. "Welcomes" notwithstanding, "the group" is really only interested in reading each others' posts and new or infrequent posters usually end up talking to themselves.
How can you possibly know who reads which posts? Just because people don't respond to someone's posts, or to your posts, does that mean they are not reading the posts? No.

Some people respond more to the post of certain other posters because they share common interests and post on the same topics or have divergent views on certain topics and disagree a lot. Boola Boss and PAC RIM and I end up posting a lot about Michelle Wie because we disagree all the time. They're fans. Me, not so much. Are we some sort of inner clique? Hardly! Even when the topic turned to politics, PAC RIM and I disagreed. He's a conservative. I'm a liberal.

Other posters tend to attract a lot of replies to their posts because they post controversial things or ask questions in their posts.

And, as with any community, friendships pop up. It's been mentioned that some people have met in real life or knew each other from the old LPGA board. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to have an equal relationship with everyone else on every topic.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #19

notax ,

Believe me, I don't take any insults on these boards personally. I'll dish them out and I'll take them. I assume that anybody else who dishes them out can also take them, but sometimes that isn't the case.

If you ask me, having somebody say "So what" or "That's nice. Tell me something interesting" is more insulting than an outright insult like "Screw Off!" (yes, that is an actual reply that I've had directed to me).

It not only says that they aren't interested in your post, but tells lurkers that if they want to post something, it better be of interest to "the group".
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #20

Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
If you ask me, having somebody say "So what" or "That's nice. Tell me something interesting" is more insulting than an outright insult like "Screw Off!" (yes, that is an actual reply that I've had directed to me).

It not only says that they aren't interested in your post, but tells lurkers that if they want to post something, it better be of interest to "the group".
I'm just going to assume that your comment is directed at me. When a friend told me that Stacey Lewis had won the Q-School tourney, I said "that's nice" - meaning it was nice that she won. The fact that Ogilvey won was also nice, but I guess it irked you. I did not say "tell me something interesting" - I merely said that I wasn't interested in reading the links provided - perhaps I shouldn't have worded it the way I did, but never did I insinuate that Admin shouldn't post them, just that I'M not interested - I have no idea whether the "group" will read them or not.

Maybe I'll PM everyone to see if they did.