Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Administrator

mylpga golf store?

I'm thinking about adding a ebay golf store to mylpga and wondering what people think. This is another idea of mine to try and get money into the site as the advertising side isn't really working, and I'd like the site to start earning money so I can fund development, promotion, hosting etc.

The store is basically a affiliate store that makes money when people click on or purchase on ebay through the site.

Example
Game Improvement Irons & Clubs Reviews - Improve Your Golf

So the question is do any of the members here buy any golf items through ebay? would you be likely to use this feature?

I'd also like some feedback on the advertising on the site, I've limited it to a small ad above the search on the right side, but it hasn't really been successful and I'm thinking about changing it to a larger banner so it will get noticed?. And placing sponsors ads back in the posts.
Some kind of system where people that have donated to the site get it ad free? I don't know? Do you use ad blockers are ads a waste of time?

Please give us some feedback.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Donating Member

I purchase some golf items over the internet, in particular re-load golf balls, but currently I go direct to those sites. But have not used ebay (such as bidding on used equipment). I do use an ad blocker but because I like the site I could make an exception (but then I am not probably going to click on a link). I did donate a while back and would be willing to continue do that. I sympathize with your desire to make some money.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Administrator

Thanks ctmurray I'd appreciate it if all members turn off there ad blockers for this site.

I'm not really after monetary gain every dollar that gets earned on the site will go back into the site in some way.

Last edited by Rusty; 01-20-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #4

I also purchase a few golf items on the net. I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Thanks ctmurray I'd appreciate it if all members turn off there ad blockers for this site.

I'm not really after monetary gain every dollar that gets earned on the site will go back into the site in some way.

I don't know if you have seen this before or not.... but it relates to your trying to get the website to pay for itself. Hope it is of some aid to you. PS: I have not tested this out or know of anyone who has yet. :-)

Last edited by Rusty; 01-20-2010 at 06:57 PM.
greentee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

I have purchased golf stuff through eBay. I'm not sure how the click through from the site feature would work but it's worth a try.

The Google ads the site is generating right now aren't very interesting so I haven't clicked through on any. The ad I'm seeing as I type this is "Start Your Career in Golf: Earn a Degree in Golf Management & Instruction." I don't have any interest in that.

I'm sure if you had one for "Hot Asian Chicks Who Just Happen To Play Golf" it would get a lot of click throughs.

Just Kidding!

Last edited by Blue; 12-18-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Donating Member

I'm not really after monetary gain every dollar that gets earned on the site will go back into the site in some way. I'm slightly frustrated with the ads as they make really good money when clicked about 60 cents for each click!!. A few of those a day and the site would be clearing hosting cost + more.

This is not a request to click ads please do not as its not allowed under the advertising policy.

I disabled my blocker tonight.

The main reason I went with adblocker was that the web servers for ads significantly slow down my browsing. When a web page is stalled in loading, I can look and see what page is trying to be found, and it is always a click through ad. I suspect my ISP (comcast) has some throttling of ad sites - or those ad sites are under powered.

myLPGA is not the only site that I permit ads, another site I visit a great deal I also choose to let them through.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Administrator

I've added Google search to the search menu. now if you want to quickly search google for something you can do it from the site.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #9

I'm not really after monetary gain every dollar that gets earned on the site will go back into the site in some way. I'm slightly frustrated with the ads as they make really good money when clicked about 60 cents for each click!!. A few of those a day and the site would be clearing hosting cost + more.

This is not a request to click ads please do not as its not allowed under the advertising policy.

Seen you little notice about letting pop-ups be allowed for this site, (the thing with the little x to remove it after reading), and have done that with my browser.... so hoping it worked ok, myLPGA should be unblocked for pop-ups for me now. Hope I did it right. :-)
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Administrator

Hi greentee
I'd never allow popups on the site they are too annoying. The ad is a small embedded type. You should be able to see above the search engine.