Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Cool The golf writers speak

Today's Monday Morning QB's....golf version:

STACY LEWIS TAKES KRAFT NABISCO
Herre: Forget Paula Creamer and Michelle Wie. Kraft Nabisco winner Stacy Lewis could be the Great American Hope on the LPGA tour. Long, straight and fearless is a nice combination. Loved the way she stared down -- and outdrove hole after hole -- No. 1 Yani Tseng on Sunday.
Hack: Great tournament, and judging by that greeting for Stacy Lewis on the 18th green, a very popular winner. It's a neat story.
Van Sickle: Yani Tseng is supposed to be a big hitter, around 10th in distance driving on the LPGA, but Stacy Lewis, who is slight and kind of a pipsqueak, bashed it by her. She made some great up-and-downs, especially that downhill curler to save par on 17. Lewis showed grit. It was very impressive, considering she was head-to-head against the game's No. 1 player.
Hack: Not that it mattered in the end, but I wanted to see the tees up on 18 today. Much more fun as risk/reward finish.
Van Sickle: With the wind that suddenly came up at the end, I'm not sure they could've moved the tees up far enough to make 18 reachable in that gale.
Hack: True. And as Karrie proved years back, three can be made by laying up.
Wei: That was a really fun tournament to watch as the leaders came down the stretch. I'm very impressed with Stacy Lewis. She seems like she has a great personality, too. It was strange to see Yani struggle the way she did. I think she was probably feeling quite confident this morning. She told me a few months ago that something she used to struggle with was holding the lead going into the final round, but after she won the British Open last year, she overcame those demons. I don't think she had a mental lapse today, though; it just wasn't her day, and Lewis was practically flawless. That putt to save par on 17 and basically seal the deal was fantastic.
Herre: I like the way Lewis came up. Instead of going pro at age 15, she went to college, worked through adversity and to an NCAA championship while at Arkansas, won Q school and now, at 26, is a major champion. You could see and hear her maturity as her family got ready to make the traditional winner's leap into the water hazard. Stacy was in control, giving everyone instructions, telling them to jump out as far as they could. Pretty cool.
Gorant: Great stuff by Lewis down the stretch, but there were two really surprising things to me: Tseng faltering for the first time with a major in her sights and the tan line on Lewis's forehead. Man, that girl has been spending some time in the sun. Glad it paid off for her with a big win.
Evans: Lewis has a good golf swing. Is Michelle Wie getting worse the older she gets?
Herre: Wie has four top 10s in four starts this year. Not bad. She needs to make more putts, but all of the players were having trouble on the greens on Sunday. I actually felt sorry for Morgan Pressel a couple of times, and she's a terrific putter.
Evans: Wie is so much better than most of the women on tour that her getting Top 10s isn't a pure indicator of her development as a player. She's gotten too mechanical with her putting, and her ball striking seems a little average compared to what it was when she was 13.
Wei: Wie is also taking a full course load at Stanford! Golf is tough enough as it is, but with school on your mind, it's really difficult to keep your focus on golf. So I'm thinking four top-10s in four starts is pretty darn good.
Evans: If she were on the Stanford women's team she would probably have a more demanding schedule. But I understand her challenges of trying to play the tour and go to class. Still, the issues that she has with her game could persist long after she graduates unless she gets a putting coach.
Van Sickle: Let's wait until Michelle Wie gets finished at Stanford, plays as a pro for a full uncluttered year and then see where she is. It's way too early to make judgments about her game when she is only a part-time pro.
Tell us what you think: What did you think of Stacy Lewis' win at the Nabisco? Can she become

Read more: PGA Tour Confidential: Houston Open - 4 - Tours & News - Golf.com
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Today's Monday Morning QB's....golf version:

Herre: Wie has four top 10s in four starts this year. Not bad. She needs to make more putts, but all of the players were having trouble on the greens on Sunday. I actually felt sorry for Morgan Pressel a couple of times, and she's a terrific putter.
Evans: Wie is so much better than most of the women on tour that her getting Top 10s isn't a pure indicator of her development as a player. She's gotten too mechanical with her putting, and her ball striking seems a little average compared to what it was when she was 13.
Wei: Wie is also taking a full course load at Stanford! Golf is tough enough as it is, but with school on your mind, it's really difficult to keep your focus on golf. So I'm thinking four top-10s in four starts is pretty darn good.
Evans: If she were on the Stanford women's team she would probably have a more demanding schedule. But I understand her challenges of trying to play the tour and go to class. Still, the issues that she has with her game could persist long after she graduates unless she gets a putting coach.

Tell us what you think: What did you think of Stacy Lewis' win at the Nabisco? Can she become

Actually Wie has three top tens in four starts. Not shabby, but not four. And according to her words, she's taking a part-time class load when she goes back for the spring quarter. But let's not start letting facts get in the way of the truth now, golf writers.... I'm also wondering exactly what evidence is leading Mr. Evans to believe that Ms. Wie is so much better than the other players on tour. Has she won more, won more awards, or led the tour in anything of significance except media attention?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Blue, the golf media is enamored with Michelle Wie, and I don't see that changing in the near future. Even when calling Stacy the "Great American Hope," the conversation ends with a discussion of Michelle Wie. It's just the way it is.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #4

It's as if these people hadn't heard of Stacy Lewis until yesterday afternoon.

Oh,and these Q&A sessions wouldn't be complete without the obligatory navel-gazing regarding Michelle Wie.I guess her tied for 40th in the HSBC counts as a top-ten finish in the bizarro world inhabited by women's golf journos.

Didn't writers used to check things like,you know,facts ?

In their haste to mention Michelle Wie as often as possible,they neglected to mention the fine performance of another American golfer,Katie Futcher,who finished tied for 3rd.

They'll probably 'discover' her in 2015.

One of them said something about Wie taking a full course load.

Full load were the two words that sprang to mind when I read that entire piece...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #5

It's like the coverage here in the UK, the UK studio comentator was raving about Sandra Gal on Friday. 'The greatest thing for Europe since sliced bread' or words to that effect. How she'd have to be an absolute must for the Euro Solheim team, how Europe has been looking for a dominant player blah blah blah. Mickey Walker and Simon Moore were rather more restrained about her chances, Walker particularly didn't think her game suited Mission Hills as she doesn't hit the ball high. Walker also pointed out Gal isn't even a member of LET, which she needs to be to play in the Solheim, though there is an obscure clause which could get her in. The reservation etc didn't stop the rave.

I don't recall the commentator mentioning Gal again after the first round, after she'd dropped down the leaderboard.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

Interesting, heddwyn. It seems that American "journalists" aren't the only ones who are less than onjective.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Blue, the golf media is enamored with Michelle Wie, and I don't see that changing in the near future. Even when calling Stacy the "Great American Hope," the conversation ends with a discussion of Michelle Wie. It's just the way it is.
I should probably accept this. Oh, hell, why start now.

Anyway, they've set up Wie in a win-win situation.

If they plays well, they say she played even better. Three top 10s? Let's make it four. She's putting poorly but "all the players were having trouble on the greens on Sunday" (not true -- Stacy had 26 putts on Sunday; Michelle had 31).

If she doesn't play well, they're ready with a handy excuse, like she's in school, or recovering from an injury or about to get another injury. The best one I heard was at the Kia Classic where she hit a drive way, way left and touched her shoulder. Immediately, the Golf Channel shoulder reporter announced, "Ooooh, I hope she didn't injury her back again and that's the reason for her bad drive!! As you remember she had that awful back injury last year." Of course, the back injury was to her lower back, not to her shoulder, but never mind. It turned out she just had an itch on her shoulder or was adjusting her bra strap.

Last edited by Blue; 04-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #8

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
"Great American Hope".....they might as well have said "Great White Hope" because what all this is really about is "hope" that someone stops the Asians from winning.

They were totally giddy at the KIA that Gal won. No...not an American, but the next best thing.

Of course the media is enamored with Wie...and with Creamer and Pressel and Gulbis. Throw in Lincicome and Blumenherst too, and let's not forget they're drooling at the thought of Lexi Thompson getting out there.

Lewis...eh...not so much. But they jumped on her bandwagon, particularly when they could keep on and on about her fight against scoliosis. Wonderful story, but if she'd tanked it in the 3rd round, we'd never have heard another word about it.

The media is so transparent. I'm surprised that some of you take it so seriously.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
"Great American Hope".....they might as well have said "Great White Hope" because what all this is really about is "hope" that someone stops the Asians from winning.

They were totally giddy at the KIA that Gal won. No...not an American, but the next best thing.

Of course the media is enamored with Wie...and with Creamer and Pressel and Gulbis. Throw in Lincicome and Blumenherst too, and let's not forget they're drooling at the thought of Lexi Thompson getting out there.

Lewis...eh...not so much. But they jumped on her bandwagon, particularly when they could keep on and on about her fight against scoliosis. Wonderful story, but if she'd tanked it in the 3rd round, we'd never have heard another word about it.

The media is so transparent. I'm surprised that some of you take it so seriously.
The difference with Lincicome and Blumenherst and most other Americans is that you only hear about them when they play well. Others, especially, Wie, you hear about all the time, regardless of how well they play to the exclusion of players who actually play well. To make it worse, the reports are usually full of factual errors. I wonder what the media will do when the realize that Natalie Gulbis is not going to be on the Solheim Cup team this year.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #10

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

I do agree with you that the "Great White Hope" is what the media would love to see, but it's not going to happen any time soon. Given that, they're putting their hopes on Michelle. I don't blame Wie for that, it's just the way it's been for quite some time. Your citing Lexi is similar. Let her prove she's worthy of the praise before they heap it on her. I've never been a big fan of Michelle, but she's earned my respect. Still, she's not the "savior" that the media still seems to think she is.

As far as taking the media seriously, I think we can all agree that they're more interested in making news than reporting it. The alleged "reporters" are a joke.