Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #11

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Karl, do you donate money to Rusty for the costs involved? If so you might have more of a case, but if not, then how about asking how much it's costing to have empty folders taking up bandwidth. The freed up space can be used for other things which might be of more interest generally.
If a folder is empty, how can it take up bandwidth?

karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
NTB

Originally Posted by karl View Post
It's not easy for me to get information/news stories about Korean players:
The US media nowadays pretty much focuses only on Wie.
I don't speak Korean, so I can't translate information/news stories from Korea.
I don't have the means or time to attend tournaments.

In short, it's a very unhappy situation.
this might help with translation
Free Translation Online
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #13

You make that sound as if it would be a bad thing....
I see what you did there...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Forum Moderator

Another option, I like this one better:

(I deleted my previous post)

Have a folder for every player ranked in the top 30 -- or whatever number Rusty gives us based on his capacity -- on the LPGA money list right now. Grandfather in anyone who's not high enough on the money list but is in the Hall of Fame, provided they already have a folder. In other words don't make a folder for Babe Didrikesen, but keep the folder for Annika.

Adjust again on November 30 and again on June 15, 2010.

If people want to post about a player who doesn't have a folder they can either:

1. Post in the nearest related folder. So if the post is about Stacy Lewis not getting on the Solheim Team, post in the Solheim Cup folder.
2. Hope she plays better to meet the qualifications to get a folder.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
NTB

Wink

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Another option, I like this one better:

(I deleted my previous post)

Have a folder for every player ranked in the top 30 -- or whatever number Rusty gives us based on his capacity -- on the LPGA money list right now. Grandfather in anyone who's not high enough on the money list but is in the Hall of Fame, provided they already have a folder. In other words don't make a folder for Babe Didrikesen, but keep the folder for Annika.

Adjust again on November 30 and again on June 15, 2010.

If people want to post about a player who doesn't have a folder they can either:

1. Post in the nearest related folder. So if the post is about Stacy Lewis not getting on the Solheim Team, post in the Solheim Cup folder.
2. Hope she plays better to meet the qualifications to get a folder.
Great idea What would happen to Kimmie
Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
Great idea What would happen to Kimmie
Good point.

Players who lose their ranking because they are on an official medical or pregnancy leave and not playing will keep their folders until their leave is over. Then they'll be re-ranked like everyone else, every six months.

I'm not sure if Kimmie is on an official leave.

The goal is to give subjective criteria to the folders and not just make their presence based on popularity, i.e., how many posts are in them, because that leads to folder stuffing. People will post anything in a folder just to give their favorite player posts. And then we'll get into a tussle over quality vs. quantity and that would be unpleasant.

Anyway, this is just an idea. It's Rusty's site and he'll decide what to do.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #17

If a folder is empty, how can it take up bandwidth?

Rusty - Karl makes a good point.

And just to add to that.... does not all that Twitter stuff take up some room to.... not everyones interest.

To get to my real point though.... whats the prob with space in the forum now? Are you getting to a data wall, and need to cut some corners?

And as Karl said, an empty folder is easy to keep.... and from time to time, some fans may wish to enter direct posts to or about a player in her folder.

Most of us do not go there often.... I, because I have so many favorites that it is just too time consuming to post to each one. Especially when lots of action in an event effects many of my favs.

Yet there are times I would like/need, to post in a special folder of a player, and it would be nice if they were always available.

Saying all that though.... if you really need to get rid of things to operate your site better.... that is your call, and I will support you if you really feel you have to. And anyways, my vote is just that, a vote of the majority.... your site is not a democracy, but I hope my view makes your decisions a bit easier to make. :-)

One last comment.... at present there are not a humongous amount of fans posting yet, many as you say are lurking.... if they 'un-lurk', I can see some going to the special personal folders.... as they are not wanting to post in the main folders.... so-far. Just another thought. :-)

Heh.... very last comment.... those special folders or players who are not wanting to post in here anymore.... ya remove them.... but, maybe keep them in the personal players folder sections.... as I am sure they well have fans still, and may want to post to them more directly. Also.... if there is an increase in fans posting in those player folders.... and the players do read them.... it may entice some players to do the special player thing with you.... who knows. :-)

Man.... I ramble some times.... habit I guess from getting around allot. Cya! :-)

Last edited by greentee; 08-13-2009 at 06:13 PM.
greentee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #18

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
this might help with translation
Free Translation Online
Hi NTB - good to see you back, (gather DB gone made that easier). :-)

Ok, this translator thing, you've used it some I would guess.... how good is it? I have used some translators, but often I am disappointed in their translations over the meaning of the words. Is this a good one, in your viewpoint/opinion. :-)
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
Administrator

I'm not worried about bandwidth or site space the site has a pretty good hosting plan. The cull on folders was simply to make it easier to navigate the player folders and to remove folders that hardly ever or never get posted due to lack of interest. I'm can't implement a ranking system for folders because I don't have the time and adding and removing folders is a pita. The criteria for a folder will be if the folder gets posted in enough that doesn't include filling it with spam. I leave all the folders for now if people are happy with the navigation.

I'm not really worried about copyright this is fan site, and also a non for profit site meaning it makes no profit. That and the fact I have no money to sue for. The most they can do is pull the site down or ask for the copyright material to be removed in which case I have a backup of the site and a domain I can move the site to. (Youtube didn't get sued for copyright till they got bought by google who had some money to sue for.)
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
NTB

Originally Posted by greentee View Post
Hi NTB - good to see you back, (gather DB gone made that easier). :-)

Ok, this translator thing, you've used it some I would guess.... how good is it? I have used some translators, but often I am disappointed in their translations over the meaning of the words. Is this a good one, in your viewpoint/opinion. :-)
Not great just keeps you out of trouble.