Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > myLPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
Administrator

Back from vacation

Hi all
I'm back from vacation. Looks like there have been a few issues since I have been gone. I will look into it more after i settle in a bit.

I'd just like everyone to know that I think Blue has done a great job as moderator over the years, as well as been a top contributor to the forum and I have supported her all the way. I am a novice compared to her when it comes to discussing the LPGA. I think its hard to be a moderator as well as an aggressive debater/poster, as your status then becomes a target. It looks like from Blue's PM that she is taking a break from the forums.

Know that all forums usually have this problem when people debate idea's, I've found that in most arguments it usually comes down to attacking a persons creditability, knowledge, person, status, or something along those lines. I don't particularly like it but its a fact of life. I've try to keep a fine line with censorship and moderation on the forums to keep everyone happy. Also I like it not to take up any of my time as I have better things to do.

Trying to be unbiased and neutral here as everyone has a point of view, I'm not sure what solution I should take at this point. I'll see if Blue would like to stand down as moderator that way you can all ignore each other as you see fit. But will that solve the problem? or will i still get reported posts?

I think we have had this discussion before should we censor everything that people find offensive, or just remove moderator status altogether so members can ignore each other or argue as they see fit. Or have it like other sites where the trolls can just run loose. Should a moderator be an unbiased poster with no opinions that could possible cause conflict?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #2

Well said, CG.

Rusty.... of course we all realize the good job the moderators, Blue included, have done with trolls and spam to keep this site enjoyable. I don't think a site like this could be run efficiently without moderators' help. We all appreciate it.

Being a moderator doesn't mean one can't have opinions....and sometimes strong opinions....and can't argue certain issues with other posters. All of the moderators at one time or another have expressed some opinions which are in conflict with other posters. No problem.

What is a problem is when a moderator becomes part of the problem instead of seeking a quick solution.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

I said this before, and I say it again: I don't mind Blue coming back and posting here again, but she must relinquish her position as a moderator to be fair. Like I said, "She's like a boxer, who at the same, acts as a referee and when she gets punched and knocked down so many times, she'll stop the fight and declare herself a winner!" I was a victim of that trick.

As a moderator, Blue is more like a liability than an asset to this forum.

I said lots of crazy things and joked a lot in this forum, (and by the way, I'm not a moderator) just to make it lively, but this time I'm dead serious. So, take it Rusty for what it's worth!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #4

Hi ya rusty...ok...lemme chime in my 2 cents...personally, I think that Blue should remain as a moderator...here are my reasonings....granted that she is an aggressive poster, but so are many others in their retaliation of her postings...all posters that do not like her Moderating actions do have another avenue of satisfaction....they can report what their complaint is to YOU...then you can look at the situation and then make your decision about correctness or not....it is NOT like the Moderators decision is the final one...you are the final one...therefore, dissenters of Blue's actions do have another recourse if they are NOT satisfied with a situation...the same goes for Buzzer and Marinepaul...if someone is not happy with the way they did their moderating job, the disgrunted poster can write to you

here is what I don't understand....CanadianGlen wants the job at moderating...it is a non-paying FREE job....you should always look for people that are passionate about making your site better and more functional....you now have three moderators....what is wrong with four...I think the more the merryier...especially considering that the first rule of being a moderator is FREQUENT visiting of this site and a passion for discussion board activities....also good Golf knowledge and common sense....and you gotta want to make this site enjoyable

so I say, let canadianGlen become a moderator, you know that he is NOT here to screw you up, he has GREAT intentions and he is motivated

the good part about canadianGlen becoming a moderator is that you can now listen to their discussions in your "Moderators ONLY" section....any complaints that any of them have with each other can go directly to you in a "private session"

anyway...this is just my opinion....Blue is an excellent Moderator in my opinion...and Canadianglen would also make an excellent one if given the opportunity....rusty, this is just my opinion...have a good day...see ya

Rusty...I just thought of something....if canadianglen does become a moderator, perhaps he could influence Amanda to join the "Ask a player forum"...and I am sure that if canadianglen is a moderator, nothing but good stuff will come out of it...providing Amanda is willing to take a chance....hmmm...this was just a passing thought that went through my wee WIE brain as I was closing this post of mine....man oh man...can I ramble or what....see ya
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Administrator

Blue has asked to stay on as moderator and I have agreed, I've asked that she tones down her posts, remain as neutral as possible, and to leave any heated arguments. I've also asked that any thread that she is involved in the debate that needs moderation be forwarded to one of the other moderators for moderation. This is to insure moderator don't look like they win an argument by deleting posts or closing threads. This might not be the most popular decision but I'll monitor things and see how we go from here.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Administrator

I think canadianglen would make a good moderator as well so welcome to the team canadianglen
Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Sounds like a fair decision, Rusty. Canadianglen, welcome to the team.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

Hi ya Rusty....good job at keeping Blue as a Moderator and adding Canadianglen as a moderator

I will make myself the"Unofficial Moderator of the moderators" to insure that all moderators behave....hmmm...perhaps NOT...this job is Rustys

Rusty you said about Blue " I've asked that she tones down her posts, remain as neutral as possible, and to leave any heated arguments."....personally, I don't think this is feasible...for one thing, when a specific Moderator has to change their Posting style...it should be a rule for ALL moderators ....and once you start this "Change of posting style" to include all moderators, then you basically "handcuff" their activity somewhat

please remember that the USA Presidential Elections are coming up...and we all know how "HEATED" "UP-TONED" "No middle ground" this debate and discussion will be....Frequent Posters Like Dangerbob, Lojo NTB and others are going to have a field day along with Blue, buzzer and Marinepaul..."handcuffing" your moderators to "handcuff" the frequent Posting posters is going to be a difficult act....Canadianglen, although he is from Canada, will probably get involved somewhat ( I am guessing here)

anyway...in a nutshell, what I am saying is that I don't think Blue should be "Handcuffed" specifically....the personality of her posting is "what makes Blue...BLUE"...just like what makes "Marinepaul's style...Marinepaul"...or what makes any poster and or Moderator "what they are like through their posting style"....I mean....we are not asking Lojo to change her "Direct and to the point" style ...nor are we asking for Dangerbob to change his "humorous style"....and since we are NOT asking others to change their style of postings...why should we make it a "specific issue" with Blue...I say let blue continue to do as she does normally...if anyone has a complaint, take it up to the next authority for further action

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone other than myself...but to me, it sounds Fair and Rational.....hmmmm....this topic sort of reminds me of "good ol' Carolyn"...now this lady sure gave me "typing finger exercises"

anyway...this is just my opinion and my 2 cents...in today's Wiesy Market...2 cents does NOT go very far...but that is all I have in my pocket

have a good day Rusty...see ya!!.....HA!!!! and you thought that just by making canadianGlen a moderator would end this discussion....ahhh I just love to make trouble...after a good vacation, it is good to see trouble on the homefront....makes you feel sort of wanted and needed...if there wasn't any trouble, you could get into the mindset of "Hey, NOBODY NEEDS ME SYNDROME"....I just wanted you to feel wanted and needed....you are welcome Rusty.....just kidding...see ya!!....but I am sure that you get my underlying subterfuge message...hmmm....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Blue has asked to stay on as moderator and I have agreed, I've asked that she tones down her posts, remain as neutral as possible, and to leave any heated arguments. I've also asked that any thread that she is involved in the debate that needs moderation be forwarded to one of the other moderators for moderation. This is to insure moderator don't look like they win an argument by deleting posts or closing threads. This might not be the most popular decision but I'll monitor things and see how we go from here.
Fair enough, Rusty. I, for one is happy with your decission. Thank you.

PS: By the way, Rusty...when I was in the Philippines, I sent you a donation toward this forum to the P.O. Box address you sent me. I never heard back from you...I'm just wondering because of the corrupt situation of the Philippine Post Office. I made a mistake of using my U.S. address as a return address, and sometimes when they see that, they'll open it and steal what's inside and just throw away the rest of the mail. It's sad, but true...it happens all the time. So, please let me know and if you didn't receive it, I send you another one. Thanks.

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!

Last edited by dangerbob; 09-17-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

Originally Posted by wiefan View Post
Hi ya Rusty....good job at keeping Blue as a Moderator and adding Canadianglen as a moderator

I will make myself the"Unofficial Moderator of the moderators" to insure that all moderators behave....hmmm...perhaps NOT...this job is Rustys

Rusty you said about Blue " I've asked that she tones down her posts, remain as neutral as possible, and to leave any heated arguments."....personally, I don't think this is feasible...for one thing, when a specific Moderator has to change their Posting style...it should be a rule for ALL moderators ....and once you start this "Change of posting style" to include all moderators, then you basically "handcuff" their activity somewhat.
Don't push your luck too hard, Wiefan. Let Rusty make his own decission.

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!