Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Questions for LPGA Players > Q&A Info > Q&A Sophie Gustafson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #1

Another pairings question

Hi Soph,

First off, thanks for making yourself so available in this forum. It's great to be able to interact and see such candid responses from you...

I've always wondered how the first/second round pairings were decided. Obviously the latter round pairings are score based, but is there any logic to who is paired (or "tripped") together on the first and second rounds? I thought I heard one of the announcers at the Dinah mention that Michelle Wie had to start last on Friday because she was playing on an exemption. Not quite sure what the point of that is, as to me that sounds like an advantage. Either way the start times seem to have more logic than the pairings themselves.

So my main question is how they decide who plays with whom in the first two rounds. Surely it's not pure random, as at times there seems to be a "theme", especially on the men's tour. Any enlightenment you can share on the mysteries of early round paiirings would be greatly appreciated (plus why do they call them pairs even if they are playing in a group of three? :-)

Thx,
John
Old 04-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
LPGA Member

Hi John,

I can certainly try to explain it. I know a bit about it but not all the facts.

The tee times are divided up in A times and B times.

A times are the better times which reaches from approximately 8.40 am - 9-30 am and from 11.40 am - 12.30 pm. To get A times you have to be a tournament winner the last 3 (?) years, be somewhat high on the career money list (think it's top 40) or be fairly high on the current money list. I do believe that Hall of Fame members always get A pairing too...
Then unofficially there are super A pairings. That's basically manipulated A pairings. They put Annika with Paula to get a good crown going or they put Annika with some other hot new player..

B players get the rest of the times. They always have to get up the earliest and they always have to fight with the darkness early and late in the year.

Michelle Wie I don't think will ever get an A time as long as she is not a member.

The pairings at Dinah was a little different cause they didn't have as many A times available as they usually do. That made them have to modify the A times a little. The said tournament winners the last 2 year and top 40 from the career money list and then 2 from last years money list. Basically they could have manipulated it as they wanted to get the players the wanted in there...

Sometimes the TV even have a say in it. Like last year in Portland they wanted the Solheim players in the early part of the Friday telecast and the officials provided it for them. I guess they asked for American Solheim Cup players cause that was the only Solheim players that was early that day...

Hope that clears it up a little bit for you
Cheers
Soph
Old 04-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #3

Hi ya sophie...fascinating explaination...I like this Q&A forum....thanks a bundle...good luck in your next tournament...see ya
Old 04-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #4

Hi Sophie

Another pairing question about the Dinah. It struck me as odd they they would play the first two rounds in pairs, yet the 3rd and final rounds as threesomes - especially as it's a Major.

Do you know the reasoning behind this? Why they did it in reverse, as it were.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #5

Originally Posted by heddwyn
Hi Sophie

Another pairing question about the Dinah. It struck me as odd they they would play the first two rounds in pairs, yet the 3rd and final rounds as threesomes - especially as it's a Major.

Do you know the reasoning behind this? Why they did it in reverse, as it were.

Thanks.
Please read previous question.

http://mylpga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=804

Thanks!