Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Ai Miyazato

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #1

Ai-chan: Golf Digest Q&A

Mighty Mouse

Q&A with Ai Miyazato

September 2010

Q: How did you pick up golf?

A: I started to play when I was 4. My entire family plays; my two brothers are professional golfers, and my dad is a teaching pro. I'm from a really small village on a small island called Okinawa, and I think we were the only ones who played golf there.

Q: You won a lot of tournaments before joining the LPGA Tour in 2006, but it took you three years to win. Why?

A: I was so young when I came over here, and I couldn't speak any English, so I didn't have a very strong confidence. The environment was so different; it took awhile to get used to. But then I started working with Vision 54 [coaches Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson], and they've helped me a lot. My confidence is back.

Q: That's evident; you've won five LPGA events in the past 12 months. Mentally, what has changed?

A: It's like there's another Ai Miyazato inside me that controls me. She keeps me from thinking bad things and allows me to give myself some very good self-talk.

Q: You are extremely famous in Japan. How tough is it for you to walk down the street in Tokyo?

A: When I first turned pro, it was really tough. I had to wear a disguise, or everybody would recognize me, and I really didn't like that. But since I moved to the LPGA Tour, I feel different. I'm outside of Japan now, and I can see my country in a different way. I embrace my fame more. I can finally see that the Japanese people are just cheering for me.

Q: What about you would surprise people?

A: I hate frogs. I don't know why -- I used to be OK around them when I was little, but now I find them very creepy. But Lynn and Pia are teaching me how to deal with encountering frogs on the golf course, so it's becoming less of a problem.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Donating Member

Mouse scared of a frog ???
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
NTB

As always BKB you really help us to see the players very clearly and see their human side.
Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #4

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
Mouse scared of a frog ???
Yeah...I hope Ai Miyazato will see this!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote