Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Rules & Regulations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #1

Picking up and cleaning

Back to the Kerr/Wie ball situation. The UK coverage was very much that Kerr had wrongly cleaned her ball. After she'd played there was some attention to the fact her ball had 'moved' when Wie's rolled up to it.

Firstly, when was it realised Kerr's ball had moved a nano of a millimeter, and by whom?

Secondly, as the balls were together at rest and the front ball was going to be picked up so Wie could play, I assume it was decided before that the ball had moved in which case that ruling overrules the ball touching rule?

I also assume that if Wie's ball was marked so Kerr could hit first, then the no clean would apply?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Back to the Kerr/Wie ball situation. The UK coverage was very much that Kerr had wrongly cleaned her ball. After she'd played there was some attention to the fact her ball had 'moved' when Wie's rolled up to it.

Firstly, when was it realised Kerr's ball had moved a nano of a millimeter, and by whom?

Secondly, as the balls were together at rest and the front ball was going to be picked up so Wie could play, I assume it was decided before that the ball had moved in which case that ruling overrules the ball touching rule?

I also assume that if Wie's ball was marked so Kerr could hit first, then the no clean would apply?
We all have the rules correct. It was determined that it was a moved ball and not interference. The UK announcers were wrong.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #3

I know you have the Rule correct for what happened, and doesn't sound like the US commentators were stellar either.

There are a couple of questions there I'd like answered, while it relates to that particular incident, it is also a hypothetical.

I'd still be interested to know exactly when it was known Kerr's ball had moved a smidgen,if initial reaction was that she had picked up because the balls were touching. Was it TV close up and replay which was brought to their attention of was there someone right on the spot who saw it. Bear in mind our coverage while coming from TGC isn't always shown with endless replays or slow motion.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
I know you have the Rule correct for what happened, and doesn't sound like the US commentators were stellar either.

There are a couple of questions there I'd like answered, while it relates to that particular incident, it is also a hypothetical.

I'd still be interested to know exactly when it was known Kerr's ball had moved a smidgen,if initial reaction was that she had picked up because the balls were touching. Was it TV close up and replay which was brought to their attention of was there someone right on the spot who saw it. Bear in mind our coverage while coming from TGC isn't always shown with endless replays or slow motion.
The person that they had doing the Rules on TGC was not very good either. I think there may have been a replay but I am not 100 percent certain.

I am certain that Kerr knows the rules better then I do and she knew what she was doing.

Usually you have people on the spot that tell you. Been to plenty of events where the players did not see the balls hit but the spectators and marshals did. The players basically replaced the ball into the position guided by the fans. I helped do this at the HSBC match play at a green. The player didn't know where.

The problem with the 2 30 mins discussions are with the officials. After a reasonable amount of time they just need to make a decision and say that to the best of our ability this is the point and this is where you play from. They let things get out of hand with extended discussion. There seemed to be no one in charge.

Last edited by xman5; 08-18-2013 at 08:45 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Forum Moderator

The person doing the Rules on TGC was Kendra Graham, who TGC lists as, "Former USGA director of women's competitions."

http://valskinnerfoundation.org/graham

Surprised she was so bad, jumping in to offer an opinion after not having actually seen the situation. It says something about the quality of officiating on both the LPGA and USGA, I think.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Who cares?
It's over, it cannot be undone and it didn't change the outcome one iota.
Why beat a dead horse?

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Because I want to know the Rules, and when I play I like to play by the Rules. If that happened to you when playing, what would you have done? Often I do not find the Rule Book very clear. Do you know the Rule, or would you just pick up a ball, the other one is played and then you'd just drop your ball 'close' to where it was or would you get out the current Rule Book you carry in your bag?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

I would do what the rule says.

"If no one has seen the exact spot where the ball crossed the line, or if it cannot be accurately defined, then the ball shall be placed as close to where the ball is thought to have crossed the line and put in play."

Why the decision as to where the ball should be placed took so long is mind boggling considering the fact that the situation is covered by rule.

It has happened to me and others in our golf group.....and we play strictly by the rules. No gimmies, or other gimmicks allowed.

Viva Annika

Last edited by Buzzer; 08-18-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: adding
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote