Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Rules & Regulations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Non conforming clubs

I am curious about the situation with Stenson and his 'battered' club. I know he left the 4w out of his bag after he found the face of the head had 'caved in'. I then read a TV viewer (grrrr!) had called in to see if he'd kept the club in the bag, so they talked to him after his round and checked to see if it was in there.

I hadn't realised a club which has a broken face is deemed to be non conforming, and would have incurred a two stroke penalty if in the bag and DQ if used. I don't really understand why it's classified as non-conforming when it was conforming before it broke, and I can't believe a damaged face would be an advantage, in fact, the complete opposite.

Two things, if this had happened during the round, would he have needed to ditch the club in order to continue penalty free, and if it was, say, his putter whose shaft bent would he be penalised if he used it?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Contest Statistician

Using that club would not have given him an advantage based on the damage we assume, however since it has been changed from the original spec it is no longer a conforming club. It is that spec club make and model that is conforming to the rules had a specific spec. Sort of the same idea that I can not take a conforming club and modify the face myself.

However we can not assume anything and make the blanket rule that the club should be tossed.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Did anyone check whether the caller had bet against Stenson winning? ;)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Two things, if this had happened during the round, would he have needed to ditch the club in order to continue penalty free, and if it was, say, his putter whose shaft bent would he be penalised if he used it?
It depends on HOW the damage happened. If it happened during the normal course of play, he could continue to use the club. If it happened otherwise, such as by damaging the club in anger, he must not use the club.

This has happened often on both tours when players slam their putters in anger (think how Stacy Lewis bangs her putter against her golf bag), and bend it, then must finish the round putting with another club like a 2 iron or a fairway club.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

Ok, so if the face had been damaged on the fairway hitting the ball, he can keep it in the bag and use it, similarly if a putter suffered metal fatigue or a split shaft while being used. I assume damage caused while putting a club in or taking it out of the bag in a normal manner, is considered 'normal course of play'?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Ok, so if the face had been damaged on the fairway hitting the ball, he can keep it in the bag and use it, similarly if a putter suffered metal fatigue or a split shaft while being used. I assume damage caused while putting a club in or taking it out of the bag in a normal manner, is considered 'normal course of play'?
Yes, a player may keep and continue to use a club which has been damaged during the normal course of play...in that stipulated round. He cannot start a round with a "non conforming club" (as would have been the case had Stenson not taken his club out of the bag).

And...Yes, "normal course of play" means when the player is making a stroke at the ball, or taking a practice swing, as well as taking a club out of the bag or using the club to retrieve a golf ball...but not by throwing the club to retrieve a ball. It also includes if the club damaged by accidentally dropping it or by leaning on it using it as a support "cane."

Now....if the club is unfit for play (substantially damaged), a player would likely not be able to use it anyway, but they have the option of replacing the club during the round or having it repaired during the round, so long as doing so does not delay play.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Contest Statistician

There was a tournament earlier this year where Stacy Lewis kept playing with a cracked driver for some reason.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #8

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
There was a tournament earlier this year where Stacy Lewis kept playing with a cracked driver for some reason.
Yeah, I remember that, but couldn't remember the tourney. Found it was last year's Evian (2012).

I guess she was hitting it ok.
Q. In terms of what happened with the driver, what happened?
STACY LEWIS: The face just cracked. It just happens over time. I just wanted to make sure I could continue using it. Obviously it wasn't flying quite like it should, but close enough.
As long as I didn't slam it and break it, I could continue using it.
I'd guess she had to really concentrate on NOT slamming it, given her petulant behavior and club slamming tendencies.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

I guess she was hitting it ok.
Q. In terms of what happened with the driver, what happened?
STACY LEWIS: The face just cracked. It just happens over time. I just wanted to make sure I could continue using it. Obviously it wasn't flying quite like it should, but close enough.
As long as I didn't slam it and break it, I could continue using it.
I'd guess she had to really concentrate on NOT slamming it, given her petulant behavior and club slamming tendencies.[/QUOTE]

Well I just hope that she did convinced the people to believe on her.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #10

Thank you, LoJo and X5 for the explanations.