Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Rules & Regulations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

It's about time!

Finally, common sense has arrived on a windy day at the golf course.
------------------------------------------------------------------
* Ball Moving After Address (Rule 18-2b). A new exception is added which exonerates the player from penalty if their ball moves after it has been addressed when it is known or virtually certain that they did not cause the ball to move. For example, if it is a gust of wind that moves the ball after it has been addressed, there is no penalty and the ball is played from its new position.

USGA changes ball-moving-at-address penalty, plus more changes for 2012 - Press Tent
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

Makes sense, but I wonder why have they gone with playing the ball from its new position? If the ball is at the edge of a sloping green and the wind blows it off the green you've got a whole different shot. I agree you could be lucky and the ball might blow closer to the hole.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Makes sense, but I wonder why have they gone with playing the ball from its new position? If the ball is at the edge of a sloping green and the wind blows it off the green you've got a whole different shot. I agree you could be lucky and the ball might blow closer to the hole.
They are trying to save time is the reason, but I don't agree with it. It should go back to the original position.

Once the ball has come to rest on the green, you have walked to the green and marked your ball, that should be the spot. If you mark and place the before you putt and the wind blows it, it should go back to the original spot because that's where your shot ended and by the new rule, you were not the cause. The original position was the real result of the shot. You now have the potential for being penalized by the ball potentially moving 20 feet down a hill away from the hole (yes it could go the other way).

Better to keep it that you shouldn't ground your club and go back to the original spot.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

Cool

I thought that I had read somewhere that the suits were going to address the "ball landing in a divot (in the fairway) situation".
I've always felt that it was unfair to punish a player for doing what he was supposed to do....land in the fairway. The guy who left the divot should be punished.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Donating Member

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
18-1/12 Ball Replaced and at Rest Is Thereafter Moved by Wind
Q. A player replaces his ball on the putting green and the ball is at rest. Before the player addresses the ball, a sudden gust of wind blows the ball farther from the hole. The player plays the ball from its new position. Is that correct?
A. Yes. Wind is not an outside agency — see Definition of "Outside Agency." Accordingly, Rule 18-1 does not apply.

So I recall an LPGA event where the player had marked their ball, replaced the ball, but not addressed the ball and the ball rolled off the green, into a hazard if I recall correctly.

So this new clarification has the same result. Even though you addressed but it was the wind, you play as if you had not addressed the ball at all.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote