Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

View Poll Results: Who will you be supporting at the Solheim Cup ?...
Europe 7 29.17%
USA 11 45.83%
No interest as the world's best golfers aren't playing 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1

Who are you supporting in the Solheim Cup ?...

Just seeing which way the MyLPGA collective leans on this...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #2

Korea ;)
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Basically I don't care.
Although, on hand hand, I am rooting for the underdog (which in this case, I think, it the Europe team), on the other hand, I like some of the players on the USA team better (Cristie Kerr, Lizette Salas, Paula Creamer). I don't know much about the Europe players, sorry.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4

I don't care who wins, I just enjoy the competition. I can do without the girly stuff, face painting and so on, but to see how serious those girls are on the golf course is entertaining.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #5

Saint....why a "No Interest" category?

As you've stated, the Solheim isn't a competition for the "best" players in the world. It's simply a Match Play exhibition between the USA and Europe.

There's no point in bringing in the factor of "world" players who aren't US or Euro.

Why vote and comment on a thread if you're not interested in the competition?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Saint....why a "No Interest" category?

As you've stated, the Solheim isn't a competition for the "best" players in the world. It's simply a Match Play exhibition between the USA and Europe.

There's no point in bringing in the factor of "world" players who aren't US or Euro.

Why vote and comment on a thread if you're not interested in the competition?
LoJo,it doesn't matter to us if the best players in the world are absent ; we know that's irrelevant where the Solheim is concerned.

We know it's nation versus nati..er..continent,and the cast of characters isn't as important as the spectacle. I think bemoaning the lack of Asians is like criticising the Curtis Cup for not having Lydia Ko.

It misses the point entirely.

But I put the option in because I know there are people on the site who aren't interested in the competition for the very reason that the best in the world aren't present.

We know they are wrong to think of it in those terms,but we have to give them the option to vote.

So,it's there,simply,to gauge site-wide interest in the event : how many are supporting the good guys,how many are supporting the Yanks and how many just don't care about it.

I thought it might be interesting to see how it's viewed by a cross-section of women's golf fans on a site dedicated to women's golf...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

I support golfers from all over the world be they American, Korean, Spanish or English. Looking at both teams there are more individuals on the American team that I would normally support than on the European team. Despite the fact that no Irish Women are on the team (& never have been) I would still always support Europe
LPGAIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post

I thought it might be interesting to see how it's viewed by a cross-section of women's golf fans on a site dedicated to women's golf...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Hmm...well, perhaps. But some on here are not "golf" fans, rather they are personality fans only of certain players or certain groups of players.....like Asians. So their votes regarding Solheim are irrelevant.

Maybe someone will come up with a poll for the Pinx or Minx or Lexus Cups. Do they still exist?

No matter... I don't care what anyone else thinks. EUROPE!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #9

Karsten Solheim was born in Norway and was moved by his family to the USA at age 2. His vision was to have the Solheim Cup a competition between women players from the USA versus European women players. His vision was realized in 1990.

For those who want a competition between the Korean women versus somebody else. I say great, now go find somebody to put up the money to make it happen or shut up and enjoy what we do have.

The best Mike Whan has come up with is the International Crown to run in the alternant years between the Solheim Cup years. The tournament competition will have 4 player teams from 8 countries. I suppose a year from now, you folks bitching about the Solheim Cup will bitch about the International Crown as well, since it will not have all the best players either.
tatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #10

Originally Posted by tatkins View Post
Karsten Solheim was born in Norway and was moved by his family to the USA at age 2. His vision was to have the Solheim Cup a competition between women players from the USA versus European women players. His vision was realized in 1990.

For those who want a competition between the Korean women versus somebody else. I say great, now go find somebody to put up the money to make it happen or shut up and enjoy what we do have.

The best Mike Whan has come up with is the International Crown to run in the alternant years between the Solheim Cup years. The tournament competition will have 4 player teams from 8 countries. I suppose a year from now, you folks bitching about the Solheim Cup will bitch about the International Crown as well, since it will not have all the best players either.
Exactly! [