Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

View Poll Results: Who will you be supporting at the Solheim Cup ?...
Europe 7 29.17%
USA 11 45.83%
No interest as the world's best golfers aren't playing 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #41
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
On this board everything, EVERYTHING, is a set-upfor controversy......

Viva Annika
True. The controversy in this case might go beyond the board, though.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #42

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Well I cleared next weekend so that I can watch a lot of golf, so could give a lot. Have no idea who will win or play well. Anticipating a fun time. Now just trying to figure out how to do a contest.
Did you do a contest for the last Solheim ?

I'm vaguely remembering one : although it might have been somewhere else,and it might not have been for the Solheim,either...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #43

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Well,it's happened.

The 'couldn't give a sh*t brigade' have accumulated more votes than Europe.

Get your coat,LoJo,we're leaving...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
The problem for the USA team is that there is so much hidden negative Karma surrounding one of the Captain's picks that I don't see how they can over-come that negative Karma under the stress of competition.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #44

It seems rather pointless and arbitrary.

The countries probably won't alter - with the possible exception of a Thailand/England battle for the last spot - but the players,particularly on the Korean and American teams,could change dramatically in the three months between the Dinah Shore and the International Crown.

There's no logistical concerns,so I don't see why they can't wait until the last minute to finalise the participants...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
While I don't agree with Smiley on the premise of the event, it will be an interesting competition to see if in a given week a country's players can overcome their disadvantage in the Rolex Rankings.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #45

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
While I don't agree with Smiley on the premise of the event, it will be an interesting competition to see if in a given week a country's players can overcome their disadvantage in the Rolex Rankings.
What don't you like about Smiley's take on the event,Gxer ?

I think it's going to be a really entertaining spectacle.

You worried that Thailand might miss out if Ariya's shoulder keeps her out for another six months,or so ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #46
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Problem is that LET tour has tournaments after the LPGA season ends and before the LPGA season begins, though at lower ratings. That would give the European teams a possible advantage in having players increase their rankings while others are not playing on the other tours during that short period of time. Not that it might matter or that this is even there thinking.

Also I think that you meant to say Kraft 2014 for the players. I think that the players are a little more extended to make sure that a current hot player may slip in, but otherwise not sure of the disconnect in the date difference.

As for number 9 or 10, tough luck.
Yes, 2014 is what I meant.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #47
Forum Moderator

The International Crown is almost a necessity to develop interest in national-based competition leading up to the Olympics.

The LPGA is trying to inject some of the popularity and spirit from the Solheim Cup into an event that more closely resembles how the Olympics will be, at least in terms of the number of countries involved.

It remains to be seen if it will stick around after 2016. Putting the two Crown events in big population centers (DC-Baltimore and Chicago) will help attract fans, though the course at Rich Harvest Farms is another modern course that's designed for playing in a cart, not so much for walking around and watching golf.

The countries most likely won't change between now and the 2014 Crown. There aren't enough chances between now and the end of November for big jumps or falls in the Rolex Rankings. Yani Tseng may continue to fall in the Rankings and Ewart-Shadoff and Reid may rise, but I don't think it will be enough for England to overtake Taiwan for last place.

Last edited by Blue; 08-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #48

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The International Crown is almost a necessity to develop interest in national-based competition leading up to the Olympics.

The LPGA is trying to inject some of the popularity and spirit from the Solheim Cup into an event that more closely resembles how the Olympics will be, at least in terms of the number of countries involved.

It remains to be seen if it will stick around after 2016. Putting the two Crown events in big population centers (DC-Baltimore and Chicago) will help attract fans, though the course at Rich Harvest Farms is another modern course that's designed for playing in a cart, not so much for walking around and watching golf.

The countries most likely won't change between now and the 2013 Crown. There aren't enough chances between now and the end of November for big jumps or falls in the Rolex Rankings. Yani Tseng may continue to fall in the Rankings and Ewart-Shadoff and Reid may rise, but I don't think it will be enough for England to overtake Taiwan for last place.
I hope it sticks around after 2016.

Oddly enough,although I'm really looking forward to this International Crown tournament,I couldn't give less of a sh*t about golf at the Olympics...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #49

What don't you like about Smiley's take on the event,Gxer ?

I think it's going to be a really entertaining spectacle.

You worried that Thailand might miss out if Ariya's shoulder keeps her out for another six months,or so ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Smiley said it will show who has the best stable of female golfers but that isn't true, we all know that South Korea has the best stable of female golfers because, oh my goodness, the same method of choosing the teams in the first place, the Rolex Rankings, tells us that South Korea has the best stable of female golfers.
In addition, what's the chances of the 8th Rolex Rankings team winning the event? Is it slim and none, or worse than that?

IMO, if you really want an underdog to have a chance at winning this event then don't carry forward the points from the first 3 days to the singles. Use the first 3 days to determine who plays in the singles, no change there, but simply let the singles matches determine the outcome of the competition.

Not worried about Ariya, she'll be back in action in another couple of months.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #50

I don't really care who wins.

When Annika was playing I wanted the Euros to win.

Now, I only care about individuals and I like some on both teams.

I would have trouble though if Paula and Suzanne went at it since I like them both.

by the way, where's Wiefan? It's hard to believe he didn't chime in on Mallon's captain's pick.