Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

View Poll Results: Who will you be supporting at the Solheim Cup ?...
Europe 7 29.17%
USA 11 45.83%
No interest as the world's best golfers aren't playing 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by tatkins View Post
Karsten Solheim was born in Norway and was moved by his family to the USA at age 2. His vision was to have the Solheim Cup a competition between women players from the USA versus European women players. His vision was realized in 1990.

For those who want a competition between the Korean women versus somebody else. I say great, now go find somebody to put up the money to make it happen or shut up and enjoy what we do have.

The best Mike Whan has come up with is the International Crown to run in the alternant years between the Solheim Cup years. The tournament competition will have 4 player teams from 8 countries. I suppose a year from now, you folks bitching about the Solheim Cup will bitch about the International Crown as well, since it will not have all the best players either.
It was called the Lexus Cup. Was even played in Asia and no one cared.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Contest Statistician

For those that don't care because certain players are not there I have no problem. You like what you like.

But let me give you an example. Yankees - Red Sox Rivalry. Some years one of the teams is not very good (Ok Yanks stink this year), some years both may not be good, but the games are always sold out, and there is always excitement.

You can not discount history. This event has now built up history . This is also something different then the same full field medal tournament we see every week in and out in a league that is basically less then exciting at this point.

It's the event. The event is bigger then the players. There rest of us is looking forward to an enjoyable event.

Also now that Wie is on the team I am rooting for her. Perhaps she can use this to turn around the rest of the year. I think being part of a team will get her head together.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #13

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
It was called the Lexus Cup. Was even played in Asia and no one cared.
Thank you, I was hoping someone would make the post you just made.
tatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by tatkins View Post
Thank you, I was hoping someone would make the post you just made.
Technically I may have been the one that cared because I did actually watch it on tape delay. Was the last official event that Annika Sorenstam played in.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #15

People who bitch about certain players of certain nationalities that aren't in the Solheim just need to calm down. There doesn't need to be an amendment to allow everyone in - this is what it is - deal with it. Hell, one of my favorites is Webbie and I'm not crying and moaning because she's not eligible. Get a grip people.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #16

Just want to add, before I'm severely criticized, some of my favorite players are NYC, Se Ri Pak and JY Shin..amongst others that don't qualify for Solheim.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Forum Moderator

With the Solheim Cup, it's the excitement and passion of the fans and players that is appealing to me, more than the nationalities of the players.

If there were an event as exciting that had players from Korea or Australia or Mexico, that would be great. They've tried and it hasn't happened yet. Maybe the Olympics will be the time.

I picked USA in the poll, just to vote for my home team.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #18

If we slip to third,behind the 'couldn't give give a sh*t' brigade,I'm going to have to delete this and walk off in a huff...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
If we slip to third,behind the 'couldn't give give a sh*t' brigade,I'm going to have to delete this and walk off in a huff...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Well, I hope SO, darlin'!! I'll walk off behind you.

You started this thing! Sheesh.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #20

In regards to "nationalities" and so on. Of course there's a special "Us vs Them" with both the Ryder Cup and the Solheim Cup. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the Matches between other countries just hasn't gained much interest. And that includes the men's Presidents Cup...US vs the "rest of the world."

It's not really a matter of cheering for the "home" team either. Back in the 70's- 80's...my favorite golfers were mostly US players...that's all we had on the LPGA. Then in the early 90's came the Big 3.....Annika, Karrie and Se Ri. That was the beginning of women's golf becoming GLOBAL, and knocking the dominance of US golfers off their perch.

I totally disregard the nationality of my fav players now. They're my favorites for reasons other than where they're from. And I'm excited about some up and coming Ams who are from ALL OVER the world.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote