Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Solheim Format

Hi ya folks....I know that my memory isn't great...I asked this question at the Last Solheim tournament...but what is the Playing format for all of the days

what is the difference between "FourBall" "Four Man" "Alternate shot", "Best Ball"

I know that at the last Solheim, players on the same team used ONLY ONE Ball and hit alternate shots...I think that on another day, they each played their OWN ball and the lowest score prevailed....but I don't remember if they played the Best Drive and then Both players hit from that spot, and then do the same thing on the next shot....but I do remember seeing this type of format before somewhere...anyway...I am confused as to what format is used in each day and what the format actually is

I know I am going to get a BIG SCOLDING from my teacher Lojo...but I just gotta ask....I wanna start on making my personal suggested Pairings....you know....BAD Putting Wiesy paired with Putting Ringer Cristie ( as an example )

anyway....have a good day folks...today, Wiesy had TWO "THREE PUTTS"....like lojo said in another post...I don't think the europeans are gonna "concede" too many close range putts to her...gulp...but then I am sure that the kid will retaliate by making her opponents putt out everything also...hmmm....that will show them!!...just kidding folks

anyway...I am curious as to my original questions....for the 2nd time in TWO years....have a good day folks...see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

1st 2 days have 2 rounds each. 4 matches a round. 1 round of 4somes and 1 round of 4 ball.

4somes is also know as alternate shot.Each team plays 1 ball. I hit it, then you hit it that ball then i hit it etc.

4ball we each play our own ball. Best score of our team is used. Also known as better ball.

Last round is 12 individual matches.

Last edited by xman5; 09-17-2011 at 08:21 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Hi ya xman....thanks for the info...ok...I am almost ready for my "suggested Pairings " for the USA team...lemme see

these pairing could work in my mind for either format

I would definately place Stacy Lewis with Juli Inkster...terriffic first time player with a solid old timer...one with length and the other just steady

also...Wiesy and Kerr...two extreme types...one Long, the other decent...One is a GREAT Putter, the other is so-so...they both are friends...great pairing in my opinion

Creamer and Vicky...Veteran Paula should help calm down Vicky's nervousness

Kerr with Ryan Otoole is another partnership...Ryan is Long and streaky, Cristie is a great putter and STEADY...also a veteran to help calm down Ryan's nervousness

Morgan and Lincicome is another terriffic Pairing...Long and short hitters....both are playing SOLID going into the solheim

Stanford would also make a great pairing with Vicky and or Ryan...really calm player like Stanford will settle down the rookie's nerves

a wild card pairing would be Wiesy and Cristina...they both can pump up each other's spirits and game...based on past experience and friendship

according to the amount of matches...everyone cannot play 5 rounds...here is what I think

Cristie Kerr, Paula, Stacy, Stanford will all play 5 matches for sure...I don't see any of them sitting out any match sessions

Wiesy, Morgan, Lincicome, will play four matches for sure and maybe 5 if they are striking the ball well and putting well

all of the rest could be playing 3, 4, or even 5 matches depending on how they are faring

anyway...these are just my guesses and my reasonings....have a good day...see ya!!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #4

Good pairings, Wiefan, but your math is a little off. All twelve players play singles matches on Sunday. However, there are only 32 slots available the other two days (8 players for morning and 8 for afternoon each day). If Cristie, Paula, Stacy, and Angela play every morning and afternoon, that leaves 16 slots to be filled by the remaining 8 players or an average of two slots per player.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #5

Hi ya Dave43...let me ammend my post by saying that I think Cristie ( For Sure ) will play all 5 matches....Paula could be playing all 5 but maybe only Four ( For sure)....that means Stacy, and Stanford could join the Four Matches ( possibly or three )

this means that Wiesy, Linsicome, Morgan will be put in the "Three for sure Matches"...with a fourth depending on how they look in their Morning Matches"

this is just my guess....have a good day...but Cristie is a Lock for me to play all 5 matches...just like Suzanne is a lock on the European side....if Paula is playing well...she could be a Lock on playing five...again...just my guess
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
NTB

Originally Posted by wiefan View Post
Hi ya Dave43...let me ammend my post by saying that I think Cristie ( For Sure ) will play all 5 matches....Paula could be playing all 5 but maybe only Four ( For sure)....that means Stacy, and Stanford could join the Four Matches ( possibly or three )

this means that Wiesy, Linsicome, Morgan will be put in the "Three for sure Matches"...with a fourth depending on how they look in their Morning Matches"

this is just my guess....have a good day...but Cristie is a Lock for me to play all 5 matches...just like Suzanne is a lock on the European side....if Paula is playing well...she could be a Lock on playing five...again...just my guess
Not trying to butter you up but I would put Wie out first with my shortest hitter and if she grabs on and takes control I would play her in that slot every day, She is young and will not get tired..
A good start will not be an encouragement to the EU bunch or their fans.. Go America
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #7

Originally Posted by NTB View Post
Not trying to butter you up but I would put Wie out first with my shortest hitter and if she grabs on and takes control I would play her in that slot every day, She is young and will not get tired..
A good start will not be an encouragement to the EU bunch or their fans.. Go America
Hi ya NTB...did you say "Butter me up"...Heck!!, I think I am the BIGGEST Butterballing Person here...I sneeze and Butter comes out...hmmm....saying that you are Buttering me up is just like "Having an Arsonist in the fire Department"....hmmm...JUST KIDDING FOLKS....ahhh sometimes I can just be a Pain in the butt....so to speak....

anyway...have a good day....just a thought...if "Butter" was a Negative thing...pity the poor Industries in Wisconsin and other cow states....anyway...see ya!!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
Forum Moderator

US pairings

Revising my Friday pairings from the posted a few weeks ago based on how players are doing lately.

On Day 1 the strategy is to get everyone in play, put out strong pairings in the morning foursomes and test out how the pairings are working out.

Friday US foursomes
Wie-Kim
Creamer-Lewis
Kerr-Pressel
Stanford-Lang

Friday US fourball

Inkster-O'Toole
Creamer-Pressel
Hurst-Lincicome
Stanford-Lang

Will come up with Saturday based on how these do.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

A little history - a look at some numbers

The USA team typically does better in Singles than they do in the doubles portion - US men have a similar history in the Ryder Cup.

Of the nine women who have played in at least one Solheim Cup, all have a winning record in singles, except Lang (0-0-1) Lincicome (1-1-0) and Cristie Kerr (1-3-1).

Different story in doubles (4ball and 4somes). Creamer, Kim, Kerr, Lang, and Wie have winning records; Inkster (9-9-5), Pressel (1-2-2), Lincicome (1-3-1), and Stanford (1-3-3) are all at or below 50%.

I didn't check the numbers for the European team - with five rookies, it's a lot harder to give meaning to past performances.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote