Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

A Solheim Cup Team of teenagers

I have been thinking about all the teenage golfers who are already having significant success in the professional and amateur ranks. What if we could put together a Solheim Cup team made up solely of girls who are less than 20 years of old, either amateur or professional, regardless of their nationality? SC teams consist of 12 players. I suggest that 5 of those players would include Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson, Ariya and Morita Jutanugarn, and Jessica Korda.

Who else should be on the team?
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Dave
Fun post....you know LK, MJ & AJ couldn't play on a Solheim Cup cause none were born in Europe or the US.
But
Danielle Kang....I can't think of another teen LPGA'ers and any top Am's from Eur or the US from the attached list

The R&A - Womens Ranking

The days of Carol Semple Thompson and the likes are over....I think all the top 10 on the list are all teens.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Mr3Putt:

I put in the "regardless of nationality" so we weren't restricted to Europe vs USA. Daniellte Kang turned 20 this year.

I suspect a number of those I mentioned above along with other current teens will be representing their country at the 2016 Olympics.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

There already is a junior Solheim Cup.....been one for years.

"Scotland’s Janice Moodie has accepted the role of Captain to the European PING Junior Solheim Cup Team for 2013 in Colorado."*

I heard Kathy Whitworth will captain the American team, which is made up of teen- agers....as is the European team.

No other group can use the "Solheim" name.

Viva Annika

* from the Solheim web
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Mr3Putt:

I put in the "regardless of nationality" so we weren't restricted to Europe vs USA. Daniellte Kang turned 20 this year.

I suspect a number of those I mentioned above along with other current teens will be representing their country at the 2016 Olympics.
Dave
Ok fair enough.
Yes, it is kinda scary how many really good young female golfers exist.

Of the teams that will really contend for Olympic gold.....I suspect most team members will be 24-32 yrs old.

Likely the Olympics will have a wide range in age.
At the recent men's Asia Pacific Am where the young kid from China won and now the youngest (14) to be invited to the 2013 Masters...I suspect the youngest was likely 13 or 14 and I think there was a guy about 52-56 from a Middle East country.
I was fortunate enough to watch the above event on TSN2
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Mr3Putt:

If San Antonio does not adopt Marijosse Navarro (currently ranked 67), she is a good bet for the Mexican team. She will be a Senior in HS or freshman in College.
That brings up a good question. Will Lizette Salas play for the Mexican team? She is not in this age group, but will be in her prime. Lorena and the USA captain will battle for her if she continues to improve.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

Lizette is a United States citizen.she would have to change her citizenship in order to play for the Mexican team.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
Lizette is a United States citizen.she would have to change her citizenship in order to play for the Mexican team.
Dual citizenship as both parents are Mexican. In sports, normally when you play for one Nation internationally, you can not play afterward for another in Olympic and other worldwide competition. If she participates in the Solheim Cup (not likely) she may not be able to change representation. Yet, the Solheim Cup has not Olympic recognition, so who knows

Lydia Ko is another similar case. But the Koreans all ready have an over full team.

Last edited by Elf; 11-20-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #9

I think the MaGuire twins are still teens and were on the last Junior SC team,
BigBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Dual citizenship as both parents are Mexican. In sports, normally when you play for one Nation internationally, you can not play afterward for another in Olympic and other worldwide competition. If she participates in the Solheim Cup (not likely) she may not be able to change representation. Yet, the Solheim Cup has not Olympic recognition, so who knows

Lydia Ko is another similar case. But the Koreans all ready have an over full team.
Elf
Glass 1/2 full.
If indeed Lizette is US born and plays well in 2013....she has a good chance to make the team....the current 8-12 US pros are not that strong....so why not Lizette.

If I was to root for pros 8-12....I would like to see Nats, Jesse, Gerina, Jenn Johnson & Sydnee.

I wrote to our Prime Minister after the CWO to see if we could adopt and provide citizenship to Lydia...he hasn't replied

Lydia stated that her parents did consider a move to Canada after leaving Korea....I think her sister attends school in Toronto.
Go Lydia Go!!!!