LPGA Golf Forum

LPGA Golf Forum (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/)
-   Solheim Cup (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f33/)
-   -   A Solheim Cup Team of teenagers (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f33/solheim-cup-team-teenagers-7939.html)

dave43 11-20-2012 04:46 PM

A Solheim Cup Team of teenagers

I have been thinking about all the teenage golfers who are already having significant success in the professional and amateur ranks. What if we could put together a Solheim Cup team made up solely of girls who are less than 20 years of old, either amateur or professional, regardless of their nationality? SC teams consist of 12 players. I suggest that 5 of those players would include Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson, Ariya and Morita Jutanugarn, and Jessica Korda.

Who else should be on the team?

Mr3putt 11-20-2012 05:04 PM

Dave
Fun post....you know LK, MJ & AJ couldn't play on a Solheim Cup cause none were born in Europe or the US.
But
Danielle Kang....I can't think of another teen LPGA'ers and any top Am's from Eur or the US from the attached list

The R&A - Womens Ranking

The days of Carol Semple Thompson and the likes are over....I think all the top 10 on the list are all teens.

dave43 11-20-2012 06:25 PM

Mr3Putt:

I put in the "regardless of nationality" so we weren't restricted to Europe vs USA. Daniellte Kang turned 20 this year.

I suspect a number of those I mentioned above along with other current teens will be representing their country at the 2016 Olympics.

Buzzer 11-20-2012 08:40 PM

There already is a junior Solheim Cup.....been one for years.

"Scotlandís Janice Moodie has accepted the role of Captain to the European PING Junior Solheim Cup Team for 2013 in Colorado."*

I heard Kathy Whitworth will captain the American team, which is made up of teen- agers....as is the European team.

No other group can use the "Solheim" name.

Viva Annika

* from the Solheim web

Mr3putt 11-20-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave43 (Post 135657)
Mr3Putt:

I put in the "regardless of nationality" so we weren't restricted to Europe vs USA. Daniellte Kang turned 20 this year.

I suspect a number of those I mentioned above along with other current teens will be representing their country at the 2016 Olympics.

Dave
Ok fair enough.
Yes, it is kinda scary how many really good young female golfers exist.

Of the teams that will really contend for Olympic gold.....I suspect most team members will be 24-32 yrs old.

Likely the Olympics will have a wide range in age.
At the recent men's Asia Pacific Am where the young kid from China won and now the youngest (14) to be invited to the 2013 Masters...I suspect the youngest was likely 13 or 14 and I think there was a guy about 52-56 from a Middle East country.
I was fortunate enough to watch the above event on TSN2

Elf 11-20-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave43 (Post 135657)
Mr3Putt:

If San Antonio does not adopt Marijosse Navarro (currently ranked 67), she is a good bet for the Mexican team. She will be a Senior in HS or freshman in College.
That brings up a good question. Will Lizette Salas play for the Mexican team? She is not in this age group, but will be in her prime. Lorena and the USA captain will battle for her if she continues to improve.

fetucinialfokcu 11-20-2012 09:57 PM

Lizette is a United States citizen.she would have to change her citizenship in order to play for the Mexican team.

Elf 11-20-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu (Post 135662)
Lizette is a United States citizen.she would have to change her citizenship in order to play for the Mexican team.

Dual citizenship as both parents are Mexican. In sports, normally when you play for one Nation internationally, you can not play afterward for another in Olympic and other worldwide competition. If she participates in the Solheim Cup (not likely) she may not be able to change representation. Yet, the Solheim Cup has not Olympic recognition, so who knows:ani_wub2:

Lydia Ko is another similar case. But the Koreans all ready have an over full team.

BigBurt 11-20-2012 10:52 PM

I think the MaGuire twins are still teens and were on the last Junior SC team,

Mr3putt 11-20-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elf (Post 135664)
Dual citizenship as both parents are Mexican. In sports, normally when you play for one Nation internationally, you can not play afterward for another in Olympic and other worldwide competition. If she participates in the Solheim Cup (not likely) she may not be able to change representation. Yet, the Solheim Cup has not Olympic recognition, so who knows:ani_wub2:

Lydia Ko is another similar case. But the Koreans all ready have an over full team.

Elf
Glass 1/2 full.
If indeed Lizette is US born and plays well in 2013....she has a good chance to make the team....the current 8-12 US pros are not that strong....so why not Lizette.

If I was to root for pros 8-12....I would like to see Nats, Jesse, Gerina, Jenn Johnson & Sydnee.

I wrote to our Prime Minister after the CWO to see if we could adopt and provide citizenship to Lydia...he hasn't replied:tongue:

Lydia stated that her parents did consider a move to Canada after leaving Korea....I think her sister attends school in Toronto.
Go Lydia Go!!!!

heddwyn 11-21-2012 09:06 AM

I would like to think Lydia Ko might stay and play as a New Zealander. I am very tired of Korean born players using countries like NZ and Australia to further their golf career and then ditching those countries later, especially when they have played for their 'adopted' country on a golf team.

I think there are a few young Brits who might get in the team.

Saint-Just X 11-21-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heddwyn (Post 135672)
I would like to think Lydia Ko might stay and play as a New Zealander. I am very tired of Korean born players using countries like NZ and Australia to further their golf career and then ditching those countries later, especially when they have played for their 'adopted' country on a golf team.

I think there are a few young Brits who might get in the team.

We've got three teenagers in the top ten of the WAGR (World Amateur Golf Rankings) : Georgia Hall and two of our victorious Curtis Cup members,Charley Hull and the evocatively named Bronte Law.

That's pretty decent company they find themselves in,as the top two names on that list are Lydia Ko and Moriya Jutanugarn...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X

fetucinialfokcu 11-22-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elf (Post 135664)

I don't have dual citizenship. Believe me, it's anything but automatic.

fetucinialfokcu 11-22-2012 08:35 AM

Also, several athletes have represented one country and then another in olympic and international competition. Merlene Ottey of Jamaica later represented Slovenia. Also this is rampant in figure skating.Rena Inoue represented Japan at the olympics in the mid 1990s and then the U.S.in 2006 in Turin.Yuko Kavaguti has represented Japan, U.S. and Russia.

Blue 11-29-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu (Post 135684)
I don't have dual citizenship. Believe me, it's anything but automatic.

Unless you're an Olympic athlete, apparently. Did anyone else see this discussion on the New York Times website regarding fast-tracking citizenship of athletes in advance of the Olympics?

Which Country Did You Say You Were Playing For?