Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #11

I would like to think Lydia Ko might stay and play as a New Zealander. I am very tired of Korean born players using countries like NZ and Australia to further their golf career and then ditching those countries later, especially when they have played for their 'adopted' country on a golf team.

I think there are a few young Brits who might get in the team.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #12

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
I would like to think Lydia Ko might stay and play as a New Zealander. I am very tired of Korean born players using countries like NZ and Australia to further their golf career and then ditching those countries later, especially when they have played for their 'adopted' country on a golf team.

I think there are a few young Brits who might get in the team.
We've got three teenagers in the top ten of the WAGR (World Amateur Golf Rankings) : Georgia Hall and two of our victorious Curtis Cup members,Charley Hull and the evocatively named Bronte Law.

That's pretty decent company they find themselves in,as the top two names on that list are Lydia Ko and Moriya Jutanugarn...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Dual citizenship as both parents are Mexican. In sports, normally when you play for one Nation internationally, you can not play afterward for another in Olympic and other worldwide competition. If she participates in the Solheim Cup (not likely) she may not be able to change representation. Yet, the Solheim Cup has not Olympic recognition, so who knows

Lydia Ko is another similar case. But the Koreans all ready have an over full team.
I don't have dual citizenship. Believe me, it's anything but automatic.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #14

Also, several athletes have represented one country and then another in olympic and international competition. Merlene Ottey of Jamaica later represented Slovenia. Also this is rampant in figure skating.Rena Inoue represented Japan at the olympics in the mid 1990s and then the U.S.in 2006 in Turin.Yuko Kavaguti has represented Japan, U.S. and Russia.

Last edited by fetucinialfokcu; 11-22-2012 at 08:49 AM.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
I don't have dual citizenship. Believe me, it's anything but automatic.
Unless you're an Olympic athlete, apparently. Did anyone else see this discussion on the New York Times website regarding fast-tracking citizenship of athletes in advance of the Olympics?

Which Country Did You Say You Were Playing For?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote