Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by NTB View Post
Xman most of the time you get the point.
I didn't say Nike sponsored the cup.
I was talking in broader terms please reread. Nike helps sponsor the lpga players thus the lpga. If they want one of their sponsored players on the team then it will probably happen.
You basically said that Nike has so much influence that they can force the LPGA to put their sponsored player (Wie) on the team.

My comment (though pretty sarcastic) was even if Nike could control the LPGA why would they go out of their way to help promote Ping by getting Wie in it.

Let me specifically ask this question? So it is your opinion that Nike went directly to the LPGA and or Meg Mallon and said you must put Wie on the team. Or that the LPGA for some reason is so afraid of Nike that on there own the told Meg Mallon that she must put Wie on the team.

Because that is basically what you are saying.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
NTB

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
You basically said that Nike has so much influence that they can force the LPGA to put their sponsored player (Wie) on the team.

My comment (though pretty sarcastic) was even if Nike could control the LPGA why would they go out of their way to help promote Ping by getting Wie in it.

Let me specifically ask this question? So it is your opinion that Nike went directly to the LPGA and or Meg Mallon and said you must put Wie on the team. Or that the LPGA for some reason is so afraid of Nike that on there own the told Meg Mallon that she must put Wie on the team.

Because that is basically what you are saying.
I didn't mention Wie, I said a player they support. I also did not say threats were made. It is a look at the captains picks and the power of money has it's influence. Nothing sinister about it. All things being equal may as well go with the money flow. This is my opinion take my opinion and a dollar go to McDonald's and get a bad cup of coffee.
Maybe Meg ask the eight to pick and made her decision. At best we are all speculating .

I'll have one for Wiefan

Last edited by NTB; 08-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #23

It doesn't help when Dottie Pepper says "Meg's philosophy has always been if you win, you're in." If that indeed was true and Meg was touting that to potential players then no wonder Jennifer was upset. Although we all know Dottie's mouth gets her in trouble.

Christina needs to shut up and work on her game instead of feeling she's some sort of spokesperson for the LPGA.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #24

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
What's your view g?
I would be tempted to eliminate the Captain's picks and go with the Rolex Rankings, in other words, every spot on the team is earned and since the Rolex Rankings favor current events, it seems to be the best overall indicator of a player's current performance.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #25

I agree......Gee.....

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #26

I think it's fairly easy to see that both Jennifer and Gerina, not Wiesy, deserved to be on the Solheim Cup team and would have been if not for the friendship factor between Meg and Wiesy. Meg was always going to pick Wiesy, so that meant that the one pick remaining was between Jennifer and Gerina which ended up being a popularity contest won by Gerina.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
I would be tempted to eliminate the Captain's picks and go with the Rolex Rankings, in other words, every spot on the team is earned and since the Rolex Rankings favor current events, it seems to be the best overall indicator of a player's current performance.
The current points system also favors current events.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #28

Your idea would eliminate 'favouritism' and make certain that everybody on the team was there on merit.

It's a brilliantly simple solution.

Therefore,it will never happen...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
jcd

Rolex rankings are not so true as they are based on a minimum number of tournaments. In a Solheim year, it puts a rookie at a disadvantage as all their points are divided by 35 regardless of how many tournaments they have played. It is still possible to for a rookie to reach high enough, ala Salas, but in general it is skewed enough that it could make a difference in gaining a spot or not.
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #30
Contest Statistician

It's not broke now so why fix it.

2 Selections create more excitement and talk. Don't put yourself on the bubble.

Keep some human input into it and leave out the calculator.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote