Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #41

Originally Posted by greentee View Post
Man I am late watching.... missing the good stuff..... back to TV.
Wie is kicking ass. Most of the matches have been fairly even, but she's three up after six.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #42
waldorf

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Wie is kicking ass. Most of the matches have been fairly even, but she's three up after six.
But spare a thought for poor Helen. She's had to face a Wie on fire for 2 matches.

Last edited by waldorf; 08-23-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #43

Originally Posted by waldorf View Post
But spare a thought for poor Helen. She's had to face a Wie on fire for 2 matches.
As you know, I'm hardly a Wie supporter, but I give her a lot of credit. She's played very well this week, and I'm happy for her.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #44
Forum Moderator

Here's my report for the last day.

After a long day and a bit of a longer night (won't go into that here), I decided not to get to course at the crack of dawn. Got there at the crack of 10:45. I drove in the back way and parked in the back lot so when I got out of my car I was right beside the 2nd fairway. It was very cool. I could see the action from the parking lot with my binocs and hear the USA chanters doing their thing. It was a great way to get in the spirit.

Spent the rest of the morning in the area of the 2nd, 3rd, and 17th holes. Saw Morgan make a super birdie out of the bunker on 3. A lot of players were hitting it right and into that bunker, particular Americans it seemed. We had a great view of a scoreboard and the volunteers on that board were right on top of score changes (rare for the volunteers are this tournament) so we all had fun watching the score change.

Saw Wie "kicking ass" as MP put it and then Alfie get it back to All Square. Got a pass into the PING Pavilion for lunch and watched the action on TV for a while, so I won't fill you in on what I saw there because it was exactly what you saw except on bigger screens and surrounded by more people.

After that I walked way out to the 7th and 8th hole but couldn't get close to the action. It was a great day though. Beautiful blue skies, temps in the high 70s I'm guessing. This course is stunningly beautiful. I stopped to admire some of the holes where no action was taking place and just breathe it all in. I got kind of sunburned. (And right after the dermalogist who was doing free skin cancer checks gave me a big lecture about that...)

So then back up to the 17the green. Like everyone, I was counting down the holes we needed (six). Creamer won pretty easily. Stanford wiped out Brewerton. Neither of these made it 17. Wie came up with Alfie having lost a three-hole lead. Alfie nailed her shot to the green. Wie really seemed in her element this week. Relaxed, and having fun and in this atmosphere she seemed to thrive.

Stayed on 17 through Christina Kim-Gwladys Nocera match thinking Kim might win the cup there but Gwladys hit an awesome shot from the green and so I ran over to 18 to see what I could of the ending, knowing that Morgan was probably going to clinch it on 16, which she did.

At one point when it became clear the US would win, a group of four players who had finished their round came running up the left side of the green waving a flag. Except there was a fifth and she was wearing a pink shirt: Christina Kim's mother. It was really pathetic looking. She and Mr. Kim were more pervasive and in the way than the Wie's this week. All four of them -- and probably a few other parents -- need to learn when to back off, move into the background, and let their adult children live their lives. I think the Wie's may finally be learning this. Maybe that is wishful thinking.

As I've mentioned before and as you'll probably read about elsewhere, this tournament was not very well organized. Besides the problem with driving and parking that I mentioned, food that was running out, lack of porta-potties (or porta-potties that weren't emptied or restocked), there was big lack of any klnd of effective marshalling, rope line control, even communication on the course. This was no more evident than when the Kim-Nocera group was in the 18th fairway and Cristie Kerr hit right into them. This is ridiculous. There were only two groups on the course. The marhsalls should know whether the course was clear.

Of course a few minutes later during the celebration on the 18 the green, there were armed guards refusing to let people walk over the bridge from the 18th fairway to the 1st tee grandstands. "These are needed for the players to come through," they kept saying. We tried to explain that the players were done playing and were ahead celebrating on the green and giving interviews and wouldn't be coming this way again, like ever. They didn't get it.

Meanwhile, the area in back of the 18th green was chaos. Apparently there were ropes set up to create a path way for the players to walk from the green, but with no marshalls the rope was quickly trampled and fans were right in players' faces taking photos and asking for autographs.

Mostly I was able to take advantage of the bad organization even if it was inadvertant. I probably walked in places I shouldn't have. I took photos (no where near any play). I didn't have to pay for parking. But it was disappointing.

After play ended I went to the closing ceremonies which was like the opening ceremonies in reverse. There were lots of recognizable people. I took a photos and will try to get them posted soon.

Walked back slowly through the course as the sun set over the prairie.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #45

Great reports, Blue. I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #46

Thanks Blue, well wait for pics. Hope you took some of the holes you described as as beautiful when empty.... sometimes they are the best taken. :-)