Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #41
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
With so few of the world's top players participating, "Women's Golf" doesn't even really need the Solheim Cup, so they have to do whatever it takes to try and remain relevant. That is why I say they NEED Wie, especially this year when it is in the U.S.A..

No No No No No No No

Ok one more No.

That is one of the most incorrect statements that I have heard.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
I never said "Women's golf" needs Wie, I said the Solheim Cup needs Wie.

I agree that women's golf, or specifically the LPGA, doe not need Wie. Pretty much every tournament they have 24 of the top 25 women golfers playing. Currently, however, only 9 of the top 25 and 2 of the top 10 women golfers are eligible for the Solheim Cup.

With so few of the world's top players participating, "Women's Golf" doesn't even really need the Solheim Cup, so they have to do whatever it takes to try and remain relevant. That is why I say they NEED Wie, especially this year when it is in the U.S.A..

LoJo is right yet again. Americans want to see Wie and Gulbis a lot more than they want to see Stacy Lewis or Lizard Salads (or whatever her name is).
Sounds nice, but is so full of holes.
Women's golf needs the LPGA.
The LPGA needs the Solheim Cup.
The Solheim Cup does not need Wie nor Gulbis to be successful and continue to be a great event.
The LPGA needs to involve other counties in Team play and is moving that way.
The Solheim Cup was established years ago by USA and European organizers.
If Wie plays in the Cup, it will be because of merits. Do not prostitute Meg Mallon.
Wie has a very good chance of been a Captain pick because POTENTIAL to help the team. There are many events pending, but while Wie is not excelling, there are not many other choices: Castale, Futcher, Harigae, Pressel, Piller, etc.? NO WAY.

Hope Wie makes the team on MERIT and POTENTIAL contribution. There are better current players around the world, but sadly they are not involved in a classical historic competition.

Your statement sound so inane, as if you tell me that the World Series is BS because they are a great few Dominicanos or Koreans that are not in the MLB.

Last edited by Elf; 04-26-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #43

Elf....get over this idea that the Solheim needs other countries.

It's Europe vs. the USA. You people who want something else....forget it. It won't be Solheim. They've already had "other" tourneys....Pinx Cup....something else...(maybe Lexus Cup?), which involved Asian teams.

Pretty much....FAIL...no one gave a crap. Let's see how the Olympic golf works out. IMO...if it's Korea vs. China....well, so be it, but good luck selling that in the US.

Solheim is special. Leave it alone.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
Elf

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

It's Europe vs. the USA. You people who want something else....forget it. It won't be Solheim. They've already had "other" tourneys....Pinx Cup....something else...(maybe Lexus Cup?), which involved Asian teams.

Pretty much....FAIL...no one gave a crap. Let's see how the Olympic golf works out. IMO...if it's Korea vs. China....well, so be it, but good luck selling that in the US.

Please reread what I wrote:
Women's golf needs the LPGA.
The LPGA needs the Solheim Cup.
The Solheim Cup was established years ago by USA and European organizers.
where did I say anything about getting rid of it? I did state that the LPGA is looking into other options (a fact), but never even implied to supplant the Cup.

Last edited by Elf; 04-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #45

OK, sorry Elf. I jumped to conclusions.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #46
Elf

OK, sorry Elf. I jumped to conclusions.
Tell the truth Lojo: Most of you picks for the Cup missed the cut and your picks in the NFL draft did not make it .Play golf tomorrow, you will do well. Be happy
Relax, get into one of yout great moods.

Last edited by Elf; 04-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #47
Elf

Lots events pending before the Cup. But how are the candidates in the line for potential Captain selections doing?
B.Lang made the first cut in the current event, but could miss the second cut Anyway, she has a very good opportunity to classify as a Rolex ranked player.
G. Piller.MC
V. Hurst. Doing well and looks like a potential Captain selection.
K. Futcher. MC
N. Castrale. MC
M.Wie. GO MICHELLE
M. Pressel. MC. she has a very good opportunity to classify as a Rolex ranked player
M. Harigae. MC
D,\. Kang. MC
J. Johnson, and N Gulbis. Long shots

Last edited by Elf; 04-27-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #48
Contest Statistician

How about Cristina Kim, 2 cuts in a row.

Bring back the team of Kim & Wie.
Just a thought. You never know.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #49

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
How about Cristina Kim, 2 cuts in a row.

Bring back the team of Kim & Wie.
Just a thought. You never know.
Stop that.Right now...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #50

I can see a day when the overwhelming majority of tournaments featuring the world's top players are held outside of the USA.

The LPGA has become much more of a global tour - damn,they even have a faux-major in France,now - and foreign companies are already sponsoring events on the LPGA.

I don't know whether it would be under the auspices of the LPGA,whether various tours would almagamate,or if a new entity would run the game.

You said it yourself,it's hard to sell Asian golfers to a large section of the American LPGA fanbase. (This reflects terribly on American women's golf fans,by the way.) But,as the popularity of Asian golfers increases in other parts of the world,it makes perfect sense for the money to follow the interest.

You could find yourself ending up with just the US Open,the Dinah Shore and a couple of other 'invitational' events where only the Barbies can participate.

Amen to that.

And nice to see a couple of our '13 Solheim rookies atop the leaderboard at halfway in Texas.

Of course,that could all change in the next two days,but it looks good at the moment...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X