Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #381

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Ah.....sag comes through yet again with FACTS.
The Beth Daniel pick was strange,one last hurrah for a veteran,but Wendy Ward,like Heather Bowie,did win an event in 2005.

The Yanks won that Solheim quite comfortably,they came out strong on the final day and battered us in the singles,although neither of the captain's picks won a match.

Hmm..there's a thought...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #382

Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
You might be right after all... but still I don't understand why this event has to be so old fashioned and only allow European and USA teams.
It's not "old fashioned" it is what it started out to be - what Karsten Solheim wanted - too bad, so sad that nobody else put up money for a head to head with other countries involved. Geez people.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #383

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
It's not "old fashioned" it is what it started out to be - what Karsten Solheim wanted - too bad, so sad that nobody else put up money for a head to head with other countries involved. Geez people.
Well, someone did for the Pinx and the Lexus Cups which involved Asia in a similar event.

But no one gave a shit.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #384

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Well, someone did for the Pinx and the Lexus Cups which involved Asia in a similar event.

But no one gave a shit.
The problem with those two is that they were held out of season and far, far away from US shores. Also they were two person 'teams' and I don't think that translates well firing up the support. I feel the International Cup may go the same way. If your country isn't in the mix, you're not going to get over excited about it.

I also agree about the lack of interest in the President's Cup. While the US team is going to be just that, the RoW is going to come from players of the moment, again maybe not 'your' players.

The Solheim is now tradition and there's nothing wrong with that!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #385
jcd

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
We're talking about the CME Titleholders, not the Founders Cup.
Good catch, but pardon me. Read the right page, typed the wrong name. Same logic regardless. At times someone who is not one of the current best players can qualify and occasionally a top player may not.

As a follow-up, I did a bit more research and found that Azahara Munoz (27 on Rolex) has not yet quallified but Hanna Kang (390 on Rolex) and Juli Inkster (153 on Rolex) and Brooke Pancake (282 on Rolex) have qualified. Just trying to show some facts to back-up my statement

Last edited by jcd; 08-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #386
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jcd View Post
Good catch, but pardon me. Read the right page, typed the wrong name. Same logic regardless. At times someone who is not one of the current best players can qualify and occasionally a top player may not.

As a follow-up, I did a bit more research and found that Azahara Munoz (27 on Rolex) has not yet quallified but Hanna Kang (390 on Rolex) and Juli Inkster (153 on Rolex) and Brooke Pancake (282 on Rolex) have qualified. Just trying to show some facts to back-up my statement
Sorry jcd, but Amy Hung and Lisa Ferrero were not in the 2012 Titleholders.

Anyway, your logic is right that a lesser player can have a flukey single good week and qualify. Brooke Pancake is a good example of this.

But the opposite is not a true. For a player to make it all the way to mid-August without qualifying means they are not having a good year. It means they haven't managed to have a single high finish all year. There have been opportunities for Michelle Wie, like in Arkansas where all it took was a T13 -- 5 strokes back -- to make the Titleholders. How did Michelle do? MC. Again.

Azahara Muñoz has not qualified because, like Michelle Wie, she's having a bad year. In fact, she's having almost bad a year as Michelle Wie. Muñoz is 48th on the money list and Wie is 55th. Munoz has one top 10 and MCs in three majors. Wie has two top 10s and 9 out of 16 tournaments with missed cuts.

Muñoz is higher in the Rolex because the Rolex is a multi-year ranking and she played pretty well in 2012, with a win, 9 top 10s and finished 17th on the money list.

They both kind of suck this year and it's only this year that matters for the Titleholders.

Last edited by Blue; 08-06-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #387
jcd

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Sorry jcd, but Amy Hung and Lisa Ferrero were not in the 2012 Titleholders.

Anyway, your logic is right that a lesser player can have a flukey single good week and qualify. Brooke Pancake is a good example of this.

But the opposite is not a true. For a player to make it all the way to mid-August without qualifying means they are not having a good year. It means they haven't managed to have a single high finish all year. There have been opportunities for Michelle Wie, like in Arkansas where all it took was a T13 -- 5 strokes back -- to make the Titleholders. How did Michelle do? MC. Again.

Azahara Muñoz has not qualified because, like Michelle Wie, she's having a bad year. In fact, she's having almost bad a year as Michelle Wie. Muñoz is 48th on the money list and Wie is 55th. Munoz has one top 10 and MCs in three majors. Wie has two top 10s and 9 out of 16 tournaments with missed cuts.

Muñoz is higher in the Rolex because the Rolex is a multi-year ranking and she played pretty well in 2012, with a win, 9 top 10s and finished 17th on the money list.

They both kind of suck this year and it's only this year that matters for the Titleholders.
Right again about the two players I mentioned. Looked at the wrong list. Losing the brain cells I think

The point was not made regarding any specific player, but rather that I personally do not agree with Xman that this is the definitive way of telling who the top players are. The was the whole point of my statement in the first place.

Again, though, not to belabor the point regarding Michelle, she did have the two 9th places finishes the two weeks prior to the ones you selected. Unfortunately for Michelle, she was not high enough those weeks. Had she placed 9th any of the following weeks, she would have made it. Looking at Azahara, she had a number of high placements, but they came at the wrong time, earlier in the season when it would have taken a top five finish, at least. A lot of the qualifying has a lot to do with chance rather than pure talent. Of course, looking at the qualifers, it is obvious that the cream of the crop have qualified and have done so in more than one year but it is the exceptions that I find the reason not to use this tournament as a ruler.

As I said, it is my personal opinion. Others look at it differently and have different opinions.
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #388
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
The problem with those two is that they were held out of season and far, far away from US shores. Also they were two person 'teams' and I don't think that translates well firing up the support. I feel the International Cup may go the same way. If your country isn't in the mix, you're not going to get over excited about it.

I also agree about the lack of interest in the President's Cup. While the US team is going to be just that, the RoW is going to come from players of the moment, again maybe not 'your' players.

The Solheim is now tradition and there's nothing wrong with that!

I think that the International Cup will be a great event. Nothing like it in Golf. And yes rooting for the home team is fun. I think that this will be a winner.

Look we all basically want to see the US and Korea. The rules are basically set so that even if you stumble early they both should make it to the final round.

Last edited by xman5; 08-06-2013 at 01:58 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #389

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Look we all basically want to see the US and Korea. The rules are basically set so that even if you stumble early they both should make it to the final round.
You might, I don't.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #390

Nothing like controversy before it even starts. I heard a Euro caddie got the boot.
cougar is offline   Reply With Quote