Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #21
sag

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I admire your objectivity over Michelle Wie,X,seeing as you're a big fan,but I believe her selection is a fait accompli.
The Constructivist has suggested Michelle as an Adam Scott-style captain's pick. Given the relationship between Wie and Mallon (Michelle has described Meg as being like a "second mother" to her), you may be right.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #22

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
If Meg picks Wie, it will not be because of "...the ire of Papa Wie and the sycophants"....it will be all about $$. Sponsors, promo, hype, blah, blah...oh, and fans. Not every fan walking through the gate will be an avid LPGA fan.

There are hundreds if not thousands of fans at LPGA events who know very little about the Tour players, as evidenced by stupid comments overheard by many of us here on this forum.

However, they do know who Michelle Wie is, but probably haven't a clue who Angela Stanford is, and don't care.
I would like to think that the Solheim Cup,like its male counterpart the Ryder Cup,is much bigger than one person,and it isn't dependant on the 90th ranked golfer in the world for it to be deemed a success.

Of course,by that logic,should we put the Yankees in the World Series every year because,you know,more people recognise their players (well,perhaps,not this year) than those guys on the Giants or Tigers ? Hey,even if you're not a baseball fan,you know who Derek Jeter is,but that Brandon Crawford guy,or Avisail Garcia,you wouldn't know them if they were sharing a duvet with you,right ?

Again,it comes down to this : is women's golf a sport or is it a popularity contest ?

If you extend that logic,I guess the LPGA will die when the Entitled Princess hangs up her clubs,loses her card,etc,because,apparently,a large section of its fanbase has zero interest in watching any other players.

Yep,see why it's different out here...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #23

Originally Posted by sag View Post
The Constructivist has suggested Michelle as an Adam Scott-style captain's pick. Given the relationship between Wie and Mallon (Michelle has described Meg as being like a "second mother" to her), you may be right.
Sag,I'm not quite sure what an 'Adam Scott-style captain's pick is (something to do with the President's Cup,perhaps ? ) but if Meg Mallon has the stones to leave Michelle Wie out,I'll paint my genitalia blue and go and stand in Macy's window.

But I'm fairly convinced that a) Mallon won't use the same criteria for Wie that she would with any other player ; and b) my modesty,and the eyes of millions of New Yorkers,will be preserved...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
Contest Statistician

But I'm fairly convinced that a) Mallon won't use the same criteria for Wie that she would with any other player
The situation is that once you get passed the top 8 automatics and the 2 from Rolex (Who are not playing well) you have no one. That's the problem. So it is not a shock that she may be chosen. It is not deserved, but neither is it deserved on anyone else. I can't think of anyone that could be a lock above her.

And yes a relationship with Mallon would be a factor, as it is always a factor with any captain. She may also think that she could get something out of Wie. She is also a captain and wants to win and I doubt she will be making decisions based on any sponsors.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #25

If the US team was picked using only the 2013 points, which I think reflects who is playing well, you would get the following in order: Stacy, Lizette, Jessica, Paula, Gerina, Nicole, Lexi, and Cristie and Angela (tied). That might point to Gerina Piller and Nicole Castrale as good captain's picks. Gerina gives the team more length off the tee and Nicole adds experience.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #26

Sag,I'm not quite sure what an 'Adam Scott-style captain's pick is (something to do with the President's Cup,perhaps ? ) but if Meg Mallon has the stones to leave Michelle Wie out,I'll paint my genitalia blue and go and stand in Macy's window.

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
That is if you had one, and it's big enough so that people could see it!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #27

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
The situation is that once you get passed the top 8 automatics and the 2 from Rolex (Who are not playing well) you have no one. That's the problem. So it is not a shock that she may be chosen. It is not deserved, but neither is it deserved on anyone else. I can't think of anyone that could be a lock above her.

And yes a relationship with Mallon would be a factor, as it is always a factor with any captain. She may also think that she could get something out of Wie. She is also a captain and wants to win and I doubt she will be making decisions based on any sponsors.
I know the pickings get slimmer the further down the list you go,but you're overlooking the point we 'haters' (lulz) are making,X.

That point being : Michelle Wie will get a pick regardless of form (hers or any other players').

It's eight from the points list,two from the rankings,one captain's pick and the free pass for Her Entitledness.

I wonder will Laura Davies make our team ? You can never write Laura off,but I think it's probably one tournament too far for her.She's 16th on the points list and all the way down at 165th on the Rolex rankings. It's just that her iconic status on the LET,coupled with the fact that she's played in every Solheim Cup,might give Liselotte Neumann an invidious selection choice to make...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #28

I would like to think that the Solheim Cup,like its male counterpart the Ryder Cup,is much bigger than one person,and it isn't dependant on the 90th ranked golfer in the world for it to be deemed a success.
Agreed, and I would lke to think that a steady diet of pizza and beer is the way to a long and healthy life.

As a realist, however, I know LoJo is right (isn't she always?). The Solheim Cup is an exhibition more than a competition, and the quality of play or even the results have very little to do with it's "success". Your comparison to putting the Yankees in the World Series comes close because the Solheim Cup does put the same 2 teams in every time.

Like it or not, Wie will attract more attention than any other player on either team.

If I may borrow from Hannibal Lecter ... "The world's more interesting with Wie in it."

Or Nicholson in A Few Good Men ... "You WANT Wie on that wall, you NEED Wie on that wall!"

I'd bet that Laura Davies will receive the same treatment, if nothing else because Americans still recognize the name.
TheBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #29

No, I'm not always right...but even if I am, I'm too polite to mention it.

Funny you should mention Hannibal Lecter. This morning I was discussing what the Feds are going to do with Mr. Tsarnaev once they gleaned all the info worth knowing out of him. My suggestion was to accidentally leave him in a cell with a Hannibal Lecter type. Oops.

But....back to golf. LD has been horrid in recent Solheims. Yes, it would be hard to think of a Solheim without her, but there comes a point where she's hurting the Euro team. But, as St. said, Lotte may have no choice. I believe one year Nicholas sort of "hid" her and didn't call her number for team play much.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post

Like it or not, Wie will attract more attention than any other player on either team.
That is very doubtful. She is getting more irrelevant every week.

The event itself is so much larger then anyone individual, especially Wie, and that is from a fan. If anything the people will want to see Lewis and Salas (if she keeps it going) and as always Creamer.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote