Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #11

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Quite a few tourneys to go, especially the Majors. But...anyone wanna take a bet that Meg picks Wie ? (Incoming!!!)
I assume if the Entitled Princess is breathing,she will get a captain's pick.

I'm torn on it. As much as the Wie-hype gets on my tits,as a supporter of the European team,I'd be quite happy to watch Wie spray it all over the place and miss a whole host of short putts.

It looks to be an interesting blend of youth and has-been on your team.

Other than Stacy Lewis and Lizette Salas,there's not a lot to frighten the horses.I expect Kang to overtake Pressel in the Rolex Rankings,too,so there will be a fair few rookies on your side...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

I think it's way too early to say who will be on both teams. But, it does look like there will be a significant number of rookies on both teams. And more diverse representation on the European team, except for Spain which is likely to have three players.

For those who have already named the US team, there are still 11 tournaments to go, including three majors. If anyone places high in all the majors, she can move into the top 8 easily.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #13

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
I think it's way too early to say who will be on both teams. But, it does look like there will be a significant number of rookies on both teams. And more diverse representation on the European team, except for Spain which is likely to have three players.

For those who have already named the US team, there are still 11 tournaments to go, including three majors. If anyone places high in all the majors, she can move into the top 8 easily.
Dave,it's a big ask for someone not presently in a qualifying position to place high in the remaining three majors ; I assume the faux major in France is after the cut off date ?

I suppose it's possible that a Castrale or a Gulbis or a McPherson or an O'Toole (hey,remember her ?) could come roaring out of the pack,but I don't envisage massive changes in the standings.

I know,I know,famous last words and all that...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

s-j x: That's why we created this thread!
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
It looks to be an interesting blend of youth and has-been on your team.

Other than Stacy Lewis and Lizette Salas,there's not a lot to frighten the horses.I expect Kang to overtake Pressel in the Rolex Rankings,too,so there will be a fair few rookies on your side...

Creamer and Korda Have been playing well this season. Experience and Youth.
Of course Lewis is the Top of the team and Salas has been playing well.
Again youth and experience.

Kerr has not been playing well but I think experience will help her.

I don't think that Wie will make the team, unless she turns it on the rest of the year. She has not displayed any reason to be selected, except that she is an experienced player on a team that may have little experience.

However sometimes the inexperience may work (no fear). Some of the golfers ala Korda and Salas may be young but in this day and age the have a lot of experience playing competitive golf. So it's a toss up how they play.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #16

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Creamer and Korda Have been playing well this season. Experience and Youth.
I don't know,X,to suggest that Paula Creamer has been playing well this season is surely lowering the bar a bit.

She's only been in contention once,hasn't she ?

She hasn't won since Oakmont,which is,what,60 tournaments' ago ?

She racks up a fair number of top tens -although just the one so far this season - but how often is she a real factor on the final day ?

She's a good golfer,actually,she's a very good golfer,I'm not suggesting she's sh*t,or anything,but she's not where people thought she would be.

Oakmont should have catapulted her into the LPGA stratosphere ; it seems to have stymied her,instead.

It's coming up to three years without a win,that's an astonishing statistic.

It will be interesting to watch Jessica Korda at the Solheim.Other than her poor final round at the Dinah Shore,she seems to handle the pressure of being in contention with the assured equanimity of a seasoned veteran.

You get the feeling she won't be be overawed by the occasion.

Of course Lewis is the Top of the team and Salas has been playing well.
Again youth and experience.

Kerr has not been playing well but I think experience will help her.
Lewis and Salas would be the two I'm worried about.

Week in,week out,consistency ; they tee it up,they compete.

I'm hoping Meg Mallon 'distrusts' the rookies and gives Lizette Salas a couple of sessions off in favour of a Stanford or a Lincicome.

I don't think that Wie will make the team, unless she turns it on the rest of the year. She has not displayed any reason to be selected, except that she is an experienced player on a team that may have little experience.

However sometimes the inexperience may work (no fear). Some of the golfers ala Korda and Salas may be young but in this day and age the have a lot of experience playing competitive golf. So it's a toss up how they play.
I admire your objectivity over Michelle Wie,X,seeing as you're a big fan,but I believe her selection is a fait accompli.

It has nothing to do with golfing reasons.

As to the rookie-fear,or lack of it,Korda and Salas strike me as the kind of players who will thrive on the whole Solheim experience.

But,as you imply,you're never quite sure until the tournament actually arrives...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Contest Statistician

Creamer has 5 top 20 with one being top 3 and made all cuts.

Play has been very consistent, good not outstanding. That is fine. So I don't worry about her.

Salas is the one the I would worry about. I don't care what she says, chunking it from the middle of the fairway in a playoff and the other Sunday meltdown is not a good sign.

Right now I would worry about the players that are going to make the team but are not making cuts and or playing well below their own standards. Lincicome and Lang are the 2 I would worry about the most. Kerr has been spotty but I don't worry about her, unless she has an injury that we do not know about.

Forgot about Stanford. She is not lighting it up this year but is still a steady player so she is not one that I would worry about.

So far at this point I have no idea who would be worthy for the 2 selections.

Last edited by xman5; 04-24-2013 at 03:33 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
Forum Moderator

Salas was on the verge of winning the last two tournaments and flat out choked it away both times. The monkey on her back is growing.

I'm not sure about Stanford. Her Solheim record other than in singles is horrendous. She has only one in in nine matches. BUT, she's done reasonably well in singles and plays well at altitude. It seems like she's not into the rah-rah go Team aspect of Solheim competition and that hurts her in four balls and foursomes.

And, yes, of course Meg will take Wie. Her golf game is in the toilet lately and her Solheim performance in Ireland was abysmal, but Meg won't risk the ire of Papa Wie and the sycophants.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #19

If Meg picks Wie, it will not be because of "...the ire of Papa Wie and the sycophants"....it will be all about $$. Sponsors, promo, hype, blah, blah...oh, and fans. Not every fan walking through the gate will be an avid LPGA fan.

There are hundreds if not thousands of fans at LPGA events who know very little about the Tour players, as evidenced by stupid comments overheard by many of us here on this forum.

However, they do know who Michelle Wie is, but probably haven't a clue who Angela Stanford is, and don't care.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
And, yes, of course Meg will take Wie. Her golf game is in the toilet lately and her Solheim performance in Ireland was abysmal, but Meg won't risk the ire of Papa Wie and the sycophants.
I am well aware of your animosity towards Michelle. But the above is a frontal attack against the USA Captain. Meg is a proven pro and a intelligent integral lady.Calling her chicken s**t is not acceptable.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote