Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #121

Good one, gxer, make statements or comments and fail to explain. Nothing new there.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #122

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Good one, gxer, make statements or comments and fail to explain. Nothing new there.
Personally, I don't think Wiesy's putting style needs any explanation as to why it is not proper.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #123
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
You are right, the change will probably have that indirect effect. But, in my opinión, the main reason for the change, is to avoid huge civil litigation and penalties for discriminating against USA citizens not born in the USA.

Europeans countries, Mexico, and many other have gone thru anguishing decisión making to solve the problem with soccer players.

Alison Walshe could make more money suing the SC organizers, et al, than playing Golf. And more players are coming along, with so many people having dual and triple citizenship.

MW resigned her Korean citizenhip for reasons unknown (DOUBLE TAXATION?). But most people enjoy having lots. The more the merrier. The French actor (I could never spell his name) was so happy been a Russian and avoiding French taxes until his Russian apartment blew up. My kids are Mexican and American and may soon became Spanish. INCOME, TAXES, AND POTENTIAL BENEFITS TRUMP PATRIOTISM.
Nah. There are no grounds for litigation.

As has been proven over and over, the LPGA can use whatever criteria it wants for membership and for eligibility to play in tournaments.

The reason the LPGA did this was 1) to be consistent with membership for the European team, 2) to be consistent with other international competitions like the Curtis Cup and, mostly, 3) to give the US a chance for a stronger team by making more of the world's players eligible to play for the US.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #124

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Ryan O'Toole might be a rubbish golfer now,but there was nothing wrong with the pick in '11.

History has vindicated it.

She played in four matches and never lost one ; including winning two matches in one day.

What more did you expect her to do ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
At the time she had was picked, she had played in 4 professional events. She was a major reach.

Gulbis and Ward had played in 3 solhiem cups each. Being a big fan of Natalie I am more familiar with Natalie's record. She has a 5-4-1 record in cups. So she has literally won more Solheim cup points than O'Toole had played in pro events. She isn't the reason they lost but she was a huge reach. Beyond huge.

Last edited by sjhnatfan; 06-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.
sjhnatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #125

Originally Posted by sjhnatfan View Post
At the time she had was picked, she had played in 4 professional events. She was a major reach.

Gulbis and Ward had played in 3 solhiem cups each. Being a big fan of Natalie I am more familiar with Natalie's record. She has a 5-4-1 record in cups. So she has literally won more Solheim cup points than O'Toole had played in pro events. She isn't the reason they lost but she was a huge reach. Beyond huge.
None of this changes the fact that the decision to select Ryan O'Toole was the correct one.Yes,it was a gamble ; but it was a successful gamble.

I know you're a big fan of Natalie Gulbis,but during the qualifying period for the 2011 Solheim Cup,she was playing like arse.

There was certainly no compelling reason to make her a Captain's pick...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #126

from my blog: Meg Mallon Talks Solheim Cup At 2013 Wegmans LPGA Championship | Fairways and Forehands

Meg Mallon

United States Solheim Cup Captain sat down at the 2013 Wegmans LPGA Championship to talk about the American Solheim Cup team, who she feels are locks and the pressure of Solheim Cup, among other issues. Interesting how she said in passing how not being ready for the pressure of Solheim Cup can ruin a career. I also like how frank she is about how anybody who doesn’t qualify outright for the team shouldn’t expect sympathy if they aren’t picked with the 11th and 12th captain’s picks. I know there has been controversy over past captain’s picks. Meg seems to be saying if you think you should be on the team, then make it outright, like she did when she was a player.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #127
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Meg-Mallon
I've seen players in the nine Solheim Cups that I've been part of actually ruin their careers because they weren't ready for that kind of stage..."
Did she say "ruin their careers" because they weren't ready for the big stage at the Solheim Cup? Who would this be?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #128
Forum Moderator

And here's the full transcript of Meg's interview: Mallon Discusses 2013 Solheim Cup Team - Cybergolf

You'll have to get past the parts where the transcriptionist puts in Stanley Cup instead of Solheim Cup ...
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #129
sag

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Did she say "ruin their careers" because they weren't ready for the big stage at the Solheim Cup? Who would this be?
My guess for who Meg might mean is Kelli Kuehne, who went 0-4 her first time and never lived up to the hype she received when turning pro after her excellent amateur career.

N.B. one of the four losses was a foursomes match partnered with Meg, so Meg would have had an up-close view of that situation.

Last edited by sag; 06-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #130

I was thinking Kuehne too, only because she had a horrid Solheim at Interlachen in '02. I was there and followed her a bit...she was not ready for prime time. I looked up her other Solheim appearance in Sweden and she didn't fare too well there either, winning a coupla matches with Kerr who likely just willed herself to win.

However, Meg could have meant someone else. Kuehne suffers from Diabetes and it really did influence her career, much like Michelle McGann. I mean...wearing an insulin pump is not exactly conducive to any sports endeavor.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote