Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #101
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Wow....this is huge news. No longer "Born In the U-S-A

Look for this to open up the doors for Asian born players to be Solheim eligible. Mark my words.
You are right, the change will probably have that indirect effect. But, in my opinión, the main reason for the change, is to avoid huge civil litigation and penalties for discriminating against USA citizens not born in the USA.

Europeans countries, Mexico, and many other have gone thru anguishing decisión making to solve the problem with soccer players.

Alison Walshe could make more money suing the SC organizers, et al, than playing Golf. And more players are coming along, with so many people having dual and triple citizenship.

MW resigned her Korean citizenhip for reasons unknown (DOUBLE TAXATION?). But most people enjoy having lots. The more the merrier. The French actor (I could never spell his name) was so happy been a Russian and avoiding French taxes until his Russian apartment blew up. My kids are Mexican and American and may soon became Spanish. INCOME, TAXES, AND POTENTIAL BENEFITS TRUMP PATRIOTISM.

Last edited by Elf; 06-02-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #102

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
The campaign has cranked up a notch. Pettersen and Lewis. Hmm.

Solheim Cup May Be Motivation Michelle Wie Needs To Pull Out of Funk | Golf Channel
Oh,dear.

Stacy Lewis toeing the company line and regurgitating the same hoary,old claptrap regarding Michelle Wie's Solheim adventures.

“Some of Michelle’s best weeks have been in Solheim Cups,” Lewis said.

The truth is often a little more inconvenient.

She's played in two Solheims..In one she was very good ; in the other she was absolute sh*te.The second one counts as much as the first one.

Unless,of course,Stacy wasn't referring to the golf,but was commenting on the quality of face-painting.

I'll agree she went above and beyond where that's concerned...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #103

She wasn't totally s***e, StJ, she really pushed Pettersen in the singles, losing on the last hole. She wasn't so bad in the pairs. I did watch her a bit in Ireland. Not saying she should be picked on current form and numbers, but she probably shouldn't be totally dismissed from consideration.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #104

Why do they focus on Alison Walshe all the time? It's unlikely she'd make either team on her play. Annika has more chance of making either team than she does! I wouldn't think Annika would foresake her European roots for Solheim selection though.

I think this move brings the US into line with the Euro team, they allow naturalised, Euro passport carrying players on the team.

Might as well kiss the competition goodbye, just when the teams have been more even.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #105

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Oh,dear.

Stacy Lewis toeing the company line and regurgitating the same hoary,old claptrap regarding Michelle Wie's Solheim adventures.

The truth is often a little more inconvenient.

She's played in two Solheims..In one she was very good ; in the other she was absolute sh*te.The second one counts as much as the first one.

Unless,of course,Stacy wasn't referring to the golf,but was commenting on the quality of face-painting.

I'll agree she went above and beyond where that's concerned...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
The golf channel's typical and habitual favoritism towards Wiesy always comes to the surface when she has any TV time. IMO, it's very unfortunate that Wiesy is having some success with that putting method she is using, very unfortunate, it does not look proper, legal, yes, but proper, no.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #106

Jack Nicklaus was almost bent double when he putted, albeit with a more rounded back rather than a 'plank'. I don't recall too many comments on his style, though, of course, more of his dropped than hers seem to have done.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #107

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Jack Nicklaus was almost bent double when he putted, albeit with a more rounded back rather than a 'plank'. I don't recall too many comments on his style, though, of course, more of his dropped than hers seem to have done.
Apples and Oranges!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #108
sag

Oh,dear.

Here's Stacy's whole answer. I've bolded some of the phrases:
I agree with that. I think some of Michelle's best weeks that she's had have been Solheim Cups. And I don't know what that is. If she could find that every week.

But she can still hit shots that nobody else on tour can hit. She's just that talented. And you know, she's kind of far down on the points right now and she's got some work to do, but ‑‑ 16th. Yeah. So I don't know. I mean she's taken ownership of her game. And I mean she works hard. She's out there working on it. So she wants to be on that team. I know she does. But I don't know. We got some good ‑‑ Jennifer Johnson just winning; Lizette playing great, so I don't know. She's got some work to do.
To my ear, that doesn't sound like toeing the company line. It sounds like a modicum of diplomacy combined with more skepticism than anything else. Randall Mell is selectively quoting in a way consistent with his desired spin.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #109

Originally Posted by sag View Post
Here's Stacy's whole answer. I've bolded some of the phrases:
I agree with that. I think some of Michelle's best weeks that she's had have been Solheim Cups. And I don't know what that is. If she could find that every week.

But she can still hit shots that nobody else on tour can hit. She's just that talented. And you know, she's kind of far down on the points right now and she's got some work to do, but ‑‑ 16th. Yeah. So I don't know. I mean she's taken ownership of her game. And I mean she works hard. She's out there working on it. So she wants to be on that team. I know she does. But I don't know. We got some good ‑‑ Jennifer Johnson just winning; Lizette playing great, so I don't know. She's got some work to do.
To my ear, that doesn't sound like toeing the company line. It sounds like a modicum of diplomacy combined with more skepticism than anything else. Randall Mell is selectively quoting in a way consistent with his desired spin.
Does Randall Mell have an agenda ? I don't know enough about all individual golf columnists to decipher their particular biases.

It does sound slightly different in that latter context,although the point still stands that it's not 'some' but 'one' of her best weeks that occurred at the Solheim.

And,really,what the hell does 'she's taken ownership of her game' mean ?

That's not related to the ongoing pro- or anti- Wie sentiments,it's simply bringing attention to a stupid saying.

Who talks like that ?

I wonder who had ownership of her game up until the time she took it ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #110
Contest Statistician

I wonder who had ownership of her game up until the time she took it ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X

Her parents did and to a lesser extent her coaches who answered to her parents. With this putting style she is saying to them that I am going to do it my way.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote