Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Players Fighting for Remaining Solheim Cup Spots

Only three more tournaments remain for the U.S. players to get themselves into position to qualify for the 2013 Solheim Cup, which will be played this year at the Colorado Club in Parker, Colorado. Players started accumulating points at the completion of the last Solheim Cup, in 2011.

The United States has changed the qualifications for entry. In previous years it was the top ten players who accumulated the most points, and then two captain's picks. They have now changed that to the top eight players off the points list, the 2 highest Rolex ranked players not already in, and 2 captain's picks.

Points are accumulated the following way:
(From the first event after the previous Solheim Cup match in 2011 through the end of the 2012 season)
Winner - 40 points, 2nd - 20 points, 3rd - 18 points, 4th - 17 points, all the way down to 20th - 2 points.
(The 2013 season tournaments, leading up to the Solheim match)
Winner - 60 points, 2nd - 30 points, 3rd - 28.5 points, 4th - 27 points, 5th - 25.5 points, all the way down to a 20th place finish worth 3 points.
The reason for the increased points for the last part of the term is to give an advantage to the players who are hot going into the match.

Points are doubled for major championships.

With many players fighting to get into a position to make the team, lets look at where they stand.

TONY'S LPGA REPORT: Solheim Cup Update - Players Fighting For Spots
tonj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Orlando Golf Vacation Package

Stacy Lewis and Paula Creamer are in.. They are one of my favorite! This will be a great game!
feonicamartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #3

Right now, it's looking like unless someone below Brittany Lang wins or does something spectacular over the next 3 events, the top 8 are pretty set.

I agree with your choices. I've been a Gerina (Mendoza) Piller fan since seeing her on Big Break Prince Edward Island. Also I would if I were picking I would take Jennifer Johnson. Why? She won earlier this year. 'Nuff said.

Having said that, I reiterate my concerns that I expressed earlier at your blog "Tony's LPGA Report." And that concern, is that Nike and Golf Channel will spend the next three weeks trying their best to influence U.S. captain Meg Mallon to take Michelle Wie, even though in my estimation she has done nothing to earn her place above Piller and Johnson.

Mallon said on the broadcast of the LPGA Lotte Championship that she wanted experience considering that some of her players on this Solheim team would be rookies. If things go as you predict, there would be five rookies on the U.S. team-Lexi Thompson, Jessica Korda, Lizette Salas, Piller, and Johnson. I wouldn't have a problem with this as there are enough experienced Solheim players-Creamer, Kerr, Stanford, Lincicome-to act as a counterbalance/mentors to the rookies. We'll just have to see what happens.

Note: there are also three events left on the LET schedule; two "regular" events and the co-sanctioned Ricoh Women's British Open.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Having said that, I reiterate my concerns that I expressed earlier at your blog "Tony's LPGA Report." And that concern, is that Nike and Golf Channel will spend the next three weeks trying their best to influence U.S. captain Meg Mallon to take Michelle Wie, even though in my estimation she has done nothing to earn her place above Piller and Johnson.
Meg wants to choose Wiesy, that's clear, but she needs Wiesy to play better than Gerina in the next 3 events. If Wiesy outplays Gerina in the next 3 events then Wiesy is in, Gerina is out. I think Jennifer is in because she has won an event this year.