Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
I just don't see what the big deal about this event is. I didn't start following the LPGA until 2006 and everything about this event seems less than Ryder Cup, less than President's Cup and even less than the Olympics. The International Crown makes more sense. Imagine an event putting Inbee Park, Lydia Ko, Stacy Lewis and Shanshan Feng against each other? With IC that could happen, not so with Solheim Cup.

Everyone is free to like the events they do but Solheim doesn't do it for me.
The Solheim Cup is very popular. Look at the huge crowds every two years.

It's not a contest with the best players in the world, but it is what it is. And that seems to work, even without you.

Of course it's less than the Ryder Cup, in terms of fan size, media exposure, and most other tangible measures. Everything in women's golf is less than the men's golf equivalent when measured that way.

You can't say it's less than the Olympics, since golf in the Olympics hasn't happened yet. I expect the Olympics, including golf, will be the biggest stage ever for golf, men's or women's. But so what? Does this invalidate every other event?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #12

Blue, Wow, someone seems to be bothered.
I'm just stating an opinion. Remember, it is just little ole me. I'm just saying why I could care less who the captains are or why this event matters, by your reaction you'd of thought I said the whole LPGA should come to a terrible demise.

Why belittle others' opinions if this in fact is an opinion forum? I hope something else in your life isn't bothering you. All the best either way.

Last edited by fetucinialfokcu; 12-27-2015 at 06:23 PM.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #13
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
Blue, Wow, someone seems to be bothered.
I'm just stating an opinion. Remember, it is just little ole me. I'm just saying why I could care less who the captains are or why this event matters, by your reaction you'd of thought I said the whole LPGA should come to a terrible demise.

Why belittle others' opinions if this in fact is an opinion forum? I hope something else in your life isn't bothering you. All the best either way.
Yes, you did seem bothered.

You're the one who brought up the old argument about the Solheim Cup being irrelevant because it doesn't include all the best players in the world. I'm sorry you got all hot and bothered when I disagreed with you.

Cheers to you as well.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #14

Wow fet ... I respect your opinion, but I differ on the impact of the Solheim. This is a really great rivalry and tradition in the making with a ton of emotion and super fan involvement. It is nothing more or less than the Ryder Cup for sure but the International Crown is not there yet and I don't understand the Olympics comparison. Not saying I'm right ... respect your view! Thank you!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #15

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
Wow fet ... I respect your opinion, but I differ on the impact of the Solheim. This is a really great rivalry and tradition in the making with a ton of emotion and super fan involvement. It is nothing more or less than the Ryder Cup for sure but the International Crown is not there yet and I don't understand the Olympics comparison. Not saying I'm right ... respect your view! Thank you!
Thanks, it's all about respecting each other's opinions. There are a lot worse things going on in the world than to belittle people for their opinion and it wouldn't hurt for people on the forum to remember this. Like, I said I didn't start watching the tour until 2006 so maybe I just don't appreciate the history of it. I will say I feel the same about Davis Cup and Fed Cup in tennis.

If for the US players and fans it's the pinnacle of the year or at least a highlight that's good for them just like everyone has their favorite players. Just because a player is the best doesn't mean everyone has to like them and that's all I'm saying.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Fet, I do respect you. Sometimes writing in a discussion does not convey actual emotion. I apologize that were hurt by me disagreeing with you. It was not my intention. I will try to tread more gently when discussing issues with you in the future.

But, hey, at least we have a discussion going on here, which hasn't happened in a long time!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
Contest Statistician

Solheim is perhaps the most anticipated events and most enjoyed by fans.

Just look at the big todo that a conceded or not conceded putt did. It transcend the tiny world of women's golf.

It is as important to women's golf as the Ryder Cup is to men's golf.

That's why we like argue who should be captains, who should be picks, who should be teamed etc.
The players love it. The build up to who will make the team. Plus the intense competition.

Nothing like it in women's golf, in fact the ladies may be more intense then the men in the Ryder Cup.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote