Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #21

I hope this happens.

There are much better tracks than PR in the PNW
But
Portland generally has immaculate weather in Aug/Sept
The course is set up for very good viewing
Logistics are great at PR......parking beside the venue....driving range. putting green and clubhouse all steps within each other.
No sales tax in Oregon!!!!

Last but not least....if the SC can't be held in Seattle....the Portland is the next best thing for this Canuck.
Maybe the Euros will sponsor 10 bus loads of Eskimos to root for the team.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #22

During the rain delay at today's tournament at Kingsmill, Golf Channel had another of those features "interviewing" two players. Today it was Spain's Belen Mozo and American Alison Walshe, who both live in Florida and play and practice together at the same club.

One of the topics was the Solheim Cup next year. Both players expressed a hope to play, and the moderator (Tom Abbott ?) mentioned that perhaps they could meet in a match against each other. Alison made a comment as how it
would be great to play on the Solheim Team and joked with Mozo, saying ..."and beat you guys" meaning the Euros.

HUH??? No one seemed to know that Walshe cannot play for the US since she was born in Ireland. Has she forgotten that little fact? She can, however, play for Europe.

I found the entire conversation very odd since Walshe herself acknowledged a coupla years ago that she WANTED to play for Europe, even joining the LET at the time.

Galway girl tees up shot at Americans - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie

Has something changed with the requirements regarding place of birth?

Galway girl tees up shot at Americans - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie

Last edited by LoJo; 09-06-2012 at 08:56 PM.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #23

LJ
Thx for the info on Walshy.

But you did ruin my day....although I had a good time on the links....I forgot to record the event today.
Errrrrrrr....and I missed Belen's interview?????......just shoot me please.
Belen certainly has the eyes of the GC crew....a lot of air time for a lower ranked pro...and she's not American.
I guess a pretty face, a hot body and a spicy personality always wins over a male dominated audience....lol.

When do you think we'll see tour certified cheerleaders?

Last edited by Mr3putt; 09-07-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #24

Perhaps they forgot there is different selection criteria for the two events. It's a little bizarre for someone to be able to compete for both countries, wouldn't it amount to a conflict of interest?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #25

Lojo,

It's a bit confusing about Alison Walshe. Although she was born in Galway, Ireland, and her parents moved to Boston when she was five, Alison played on the U.S. Curtis Cup team, she is listed with an American flag, and her stats include a slot for U.S. Solheim Cup points.

I would agree that Alison should be listed as an International player with an Irish flag, but for some reason the LPGA doesn't think so.

Maybe some DBer with connections to the LPGA could ask for clarification.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #26

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Lojo,

It's a bit confusing about Alison Walshe. Although she was born in Galway, Ireland, and her parents moved to Boston when she was five, Alison played on the U.S. Curtis Cup team, she is listed with an American flag, and her stats include a slot for U.S. Solheim Cup points.

I would agree that Alison should be listed as an International player with an Irish flag, but for some reason the LPGA doesn't think so.

Maybe some DBer with connections to the LPGA could ask for clarification.
dave43.... Alison is a Naturalized US citizen, so she should have the US flag by her name. I've no idea why she's listed as having Solheim points unless they just autmatically award points to anyone w/ a US flag next to their name. That would be a typical LPGA screwup.

The Curtis Cup qualifications are different than the Solheim for the US team. Naturalized US citizens may play on the Curtis Cup team.

The Solheim specifically says "US Born" LPGA members. That's the issue. Even though she is a US citizen now, she is ineligible for the US Solheim team. This is what astounded me when she was talking about it.

In the article I linked, she clearly was aware of the eligibility requirments and was talking about trying to make the team for Europe, for which she IS qualified having been Irish born.

The European requirements did change a few years ago allowing European nationals, naturalized citizens of Euro countries, etc.

Not so the US requirements. Born in the USA. And she wasn't.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #27

OK....I just looked at the LPGA site. All players, regardless of nationality, have a slot for US Solheim Cup points!

I guess it's something to do with their stats software or whatever.

Those who are ineligible for Solheim have no points and are ranked 999. You'll notice Alison has no US Solheim points.

All players also have a slot in their stats for Rookie of the Year, even Julie Inkster.

Sheesh.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #28

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
All players also have a slot in their stats for Rookie of the Year, even Julie Inkster.

Sheesh.
Does it say what year? Maybe it's a guessing game for fans.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #29

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Does it say what year? Maybe it's a guessing game for fans.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #30

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
LJ
When do you think we'll see tour certified cheerleaders?
I bet you'd look real great in one of those short little mini cheering outfits! :) I know you'd better than I would!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote