Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
waldorf

The catch all "any interesting obsevations from commentators or anyone" thread

I thought I'd just create a "catch all" thread for any interesting observations from commentators or anyone really about the Solheim. It would be nice if there were more people here and following so I hope my post won't be the only one.

Anyway - one thing Mickey Walker was saying. It's about resting players to ensure they are fresh. She was querying what players do nowadays and saying like they aren't really fresh when they are rested. That if you are rested in the morning - stay a bit longer in bed and don't feel duty bound to go out there and support the team straightaway. That's not being lazy. That is doing it in fact for the team.

She said like in the USA team - they were all up early for breakfast together whether playing or not and out there supporting the team withas much energy as they could muster and it wasn't really a rest and it showed in their performances that they were still tired.

She reckoned of the rested USA players on Staurday morning - only Morgan Pressel played like she was fresh in the afternoon.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Contest Statistician

Actually it is probably worse to stay in bed and linger at the hotel.
They are not used to that and could make them more tired in the end.

They are used to long hours. Long rounds, early practice, practice after the round, rain delays, rounds completed the next day.

I think extra time in bed would alter there normal routine which is never normal but always hectic becuase of all of the above.

At the end yesterday Wie said she wanted to go back out again. I think they may be tired before they start tmr, but adreneline will take over until the end.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #3

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Actually it is probably worse to stay in bed and linger at the hotel.
They are not used to that and could make them more tired in the end.

They are used to long hours. Long rounds, early practice, practice after the round, rain delays, rounds completed the next day.

I think extra time in bed would alter there normal routine which is never normal but always hectic becuase of all of the above.

At the end yesterday Wie said she wanted to go back out again. I think they may be tired before they start tmr, but adreneline will take over until the end.

I agree. Breaking their normal routine would probably play havoc on their systems. These are professional athletes, and they know their bodies better than anyone else.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
waldorf

Hmm - but what would be their normal routine in a regular topurnament with an afternoon tee time. Get up for breakfast at 7 am and go walk the course following the players with the early tee times and then do some practice? Sounds pretty exhausting and perhaps not the best prep. Anyway it was just an observation Mickey Walker made as an ex-Solheim captain really about what used to happen and what happens now.

I don't think she meant lie in really late and lounge about in the hotel all morning though.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #5

In a discussion about the slowness of play,Rosie Jones said that the practice of caddies lining up their players should be banned.

Rosie also has great hair...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
waldorf

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
In a discussion about the slowness of play,Rosie Jones said that the practice of caddies lining up their players should be banned.

Rosie also has great hair...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X

Totally agree with this. It makes the women look weak and that thay can't figure anything out for themselves as well as slows the game down.

On second thoughts though - why not go further. Why not forget this helping the player out and just let the caddy take the club and play the shot for her.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
waldorf

Speaking of Rosie - she was great as a commentator. They were talking once about conceding putts and she said one thing she used to do to Helen was play a little mind game. She said she'd concede putts to her in the front nine and then on the back nine she'd make her play the holes especially knowing back then that she could be a shaky putter.

They teased her later about what other pieces of gamesmanship she used to get up to. She was pretty good humoured about the question "Not gamesmanship - just my little strategy against Helen".

Last edited by waldorf; 08-24-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #8

Originally Posted by waldorf View Post
Speaking of Rosie - she was great as a commentator. They were talking once about conceding putts and she said one thing she used to do to Helen was play a little mind game. She said she'd concede putts to her in the front nine and then on the back nine she'd make her play the holes especially knowing back then that she could be a shaky putter.

They teased her later about what other pieces of gamesmanship she used to get up to. She was pretty good humoured about the question "Not gamesmanship - just my little strategy against Helen".
Yes,I enjoyed that,too.

I also think with that kind of 'gamesmanship' she was also hoping to benefit from a bit of quid pro quo on the back nine.

It was refreshing to have some insight from the American side ;I hope Rosie features again in the future.

Sky's coverage was excellent.It must have been close to 30 hours of live coverage.I always Tivo it and then start watching an hour,or so,later.

That way you can avoid the commercial breaks.As you probably know,there's only so many times you can watch Carlton Palmer in the bath before an urge to murder someone becomes overwhelming...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X