Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #51
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I suppose if you have four picks,you can use one on past performance,but Hedwall's played so poorly since the last Solheim I'm surprised Inkster didn't select her for the Yanks...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
If Hedwall were a drinking buddy of Inkster's, she'd probably try.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #52
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
I just looked up Creamer's Solheim record. In the last two appearances, she's lost her Singles matches...badly.

2011 lost to Catriona Mathew 6&5 (!!!!), and in 2013 she lost to rookie Charlie Hull, 5&4.

Those aren't just losses. They're embarrassing losses.
Here's more.

Of the eight players from the 2015 US Solheim Team and who were also on both the 2011 and 2013 teams, only one player has a winning singles record from those teams ... Brittany Lang.

The cumulative singles record for all eight is
3-11-2

That's right, only three wins in the 16 matches played in 2011 and 2013 by US team members.

Two by Lang and one by Pressel.

Looking at the three players (Thompson, Salas, Piller) who did not play in 2011 but played in 2013 and will play in 2015, it doesn't get much better. They went 1-0-2.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #53
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Yeah,but we coalesce as a single unit ;your lot don't.

Now that's not a bad thing if it's a team full of sparkling,individual talent,but when you have a team full of individuals playing,generally,like shit,it's a recipe for disaster.
Inability to coalesce as a team is not the problem with the US in the Solheim Cup.

The problem is the exact opposite.

For two reasons.

1. The team has plenty of cohesion, unity and team spirit. They have this up the wazoo.

2. The Solheim Cup really isn't a team sport. At most, it's a two-partner sport and for half the matches, it's a solo event.

The US team's rah-rah team spirit has helped them, to a degree, in fourball and foursomes where the partners can support each other.

The team's downfall in both 2011 and 2013 has been singles play (well, and Sunday fourball in 2013). Because they depend so much on rah-rah team antics, when they have to go out on their own on Sunday, they're lost.

If they're going to win the cup in 2015, they have to do better, much better, in singles play. And for this they have to learn how to play with each women for herself.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #54
Contest Statistician

In the end these picks are not going to make or break the team. Bottom line is that they need to play better. Especially at the top. They need to dominate. Something they have not done.

These 2 player team matches are so much about putting. I think that is the US teams major problem. They don't protect their partner. There is a strategic way team putting. Lagging and safety are very important. At the International Crown I noticed up close how poor a Job they did protecting each other. Sometimes make sure of the easy par and take the split. You need to always try to take pressure off your partner. Both can't always just go up and bash at the hole. Also they need to balance that with how their opponents ate sitting.

Also some of the US players are very streaky putters. They can really be very bad. So if you are not making putts you have to insure that you can at least make easier pars to help your partner to possibly help your team out by making it less stressfull taking the birdie chances.

Then in the end everyone must play better in the singles.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #55

Hey, Mr. Saint J......has Ladbrokes posted anything about the Solheim??
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #56
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
In the end these picks are not going to make or break the team. Bottom line is that they need to play better. Especially at the top. They need to dominate. Something they have not done.

These 2 player team matches are so much about putting. I think that is the US teams major problem. They don't protect their partner. There is a strategic way team putting. Lagging and safety are very important. At the International Crown I noticed up close how poor a Job they did protecting each other. Sometimes make sure of the easy par and take the split. You need to always try to take pressure off your partner. Both can't always just go up and bash at the hole. Also they need to balance that with how their opponents ate sitting.

Also some of the US players are very streaky putters. They can really be very bad. So if you are not making putts you have to insure that you can at least make easier pars to help your partner to possibly help your team out by making it less stressfull taking the birdie chances.

Then in the end everyone must play better in the singles.
Good observation about pair putting, but the team's weakness seems to be singles. What's going wrong there?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #57

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Hey, Mr. Saint J......has Ladbrokes posted anything about the Solheim??
Yeah,Buzz,they have the Yanks as favourites : 4/6 to Europe's 6/4.

In fact,all the major bookies,over here,have the Americans as favourites.

I find that mind-boggling.

The bookies also have a betting market for the top American player : Stacy Lewis is the favourite in that with prices ranging from 7/2 to 9/2. Stacy Lewis has a terrible Solheim record.

Sometimes the betting markets for women's golf can be very curious indeed...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #58

Well, it seems that SOMEONE is jazzed up about the Solheim Cup, and she isn't even on the team. For your viewing pleasure I present to you Tiffany Joh:

https://youtu.be/mVWc47X0VyU

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImLU31G2o8
IceCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #59
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Good observation about pair putting, but the team's weakness seems to be singles. What's going wrong there?
When they put themselves behind going into the singles they press too much. Each player thinks that they have to do it themselves. They need the top players to play better in the singles. When the bottom guys see the top players losing they possible try to put it on themselves and get too aggressive when they should be concentrating on their match. Which is not to say that they should not know what is going on, but do not react to early.

But bottom line is that Stacy Lewis, Christie Kerr and Lexi Thompson must win no matter who they are playing.

I worry about Wie, Creamer and Stanford. Neither has been playing well and I expect them to lose. So that would be a wash with the top 3. So it is important that the top 3 get wins.

I expect good play from Pressel and Lee. The others I hope for some good play but lets say 50/50, depending on the matches.

So top 3 need to play big and a few in the middle need to come up big.

Kill the face painting and nail painting. Especially for Lee. I think that she can be an important player but as a rookie they need to lead her and not get her in to rah rah face painting, but you can't take away all of the rah rah. There needs to be balance.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #60
Forum Moderator

I have the most faith in Thompson to be a top performer.

Stanford's Solheim record over the past two Solheim's is 0-7-0. There is no reason to expect her to do any better.

Looking into the crystal ball, how I see the team performing, ranked from best to worst:

Thompson
Pressel
Lang
Lewis
Lee
Kerr
Piller
Salas
Creamer
Lincicome
Wie
Stanford

Last edited by Blue; 08-30-2015 at 09:25 AM.