Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #21

Delighted to see Reid & Hull have qualified. Melissa has been having a great year on the LET Tour.
LPGAIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #22
Contest Statistician

Shaping up to be another good tournament for Alison Lee. Lets see if she can finish it off. Should add to her consideration.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #23

Based on updated data from the Portland tournament, there is no change in the top 8 standings from Solheim points:

1. Stacy Lewis 2. Lexi Thompson 3. Cristie Kerr 4. Michelle Wie

5. Brittany Lincicome 6. Morgan Pressel 7. Angela Stanford 8. Gerina Piller

However, there is a change in the top two Rolex ratings (excluding those above)

1. Lizette Salas 2. Alison Lee

That would leave Brittany Lang (10th in Solheim points), Paula Creamer (11th), Jessica Korda (12th), Austin Ernst (13th), and Mo Martin (14th) as Juli's possible captain's picks.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #24
Contest Statistician

Another good showing be Alison Lee. Now on the automatic list, but of course that could still change.

That makes my picks, Brittany Lang and Austin Ernst.

It will be interesting to see what Julie Does.

She is close to Creamer. Creamer and Korda are playing like crap. Does she want some new blood in Ernst and Martin? I resurgent Lang.

I would be surprised to See Creamer and Korda on the team.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #25

Who will Koch's captain's picks be? Going by the numbers, I would guess that Hannah Burke, Catriona Matthew, and Karine Icher would be logical picks. Caroline Masson would be a popular pick in Germany to join Sandra Gal on the European team. However, SJX and LPGAIreland and others are more qualified than I to judge Koch's options.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #26
Forum Moderator

The AP is reporting that Inkster has said she will pick the next two players in line in the Solheim Cup rankings as the captain's picks.

Gerina Piller, Alison Lee, Lizette Salas earn spots on U.S. Solheim Cup team

That means Lang and Creamer.

I hope the AP report is wrong. Did Inkster say anything on air during the broadcast from Canada?

Creamer's game is in the gutter and Lang is historically not a good player in Europe or in cold weather.

Do we have yet another Solheim captain who is more concerned with pleasing her friends than with picking the best players?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #27

I still think Lang is a good pick. She's, at the very least, the safest as she is the most consistent of any of the remaining possibilities. Creamer, though, would be a disaster. She has nothing in the tank right now. I think it's down between Mo Martin and Austin Ernst. I, personally, would take Ernst, but I wouldn't mind seeing Martin.
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #28

The AP article - quoted in several publications was in error when it reported that Gerina Piller took the last spot from the money list - it was actually from the Solheim points standings - they are not the same thing.

Nowhere else have I found any mention about Juli taking the next two from the Solheim points standings. Of course, it was pretty obvious, to me at least, that she was going to take Alison regardless. With her safely on the team, Juli could logically take Lang and Creamer.

I would have been inclined to take Paula as the replacement for Wie if Wie was not healthly enough to compete.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
The AP article - quoted in several publications was in error when it reported that Gerina Piller took the last spot from the money list - it was actually from the Solheim points standings - they are not the same thing.
Right. There is no money list that comes into play in US Solheim Cup team selection. Who is the AP golf writer that doesn't know that?

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
I would have been inclined to take Paula as the replacement for Wie if Wie was not healthly enough to compete.
There's no indication that Wie will withdraw for health reasons. If she were inclined to withdraw from anything, it would have been this week in Canada. She'd already qualified for the Solheim Cup and presumably she wants to be as healthy as possible for Evian. If she's that seriously injured, why was she in Canada? Did she have some obligation as a former winner there? It's been 5 years and the sponsors have changed. Is this still important? Is it about maximizing her chances for the 2016 Olympic team? That seems logical. If the US Olympic team were selected today, she would not be qualified.

Last edited by Blue; 08-24-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #30
Forum Moderator

It's official ... Creamer and Lang.

Juli Inkster on Golf Channel focused a lot on players who were popular and good team players in the locker room, saying "I'm not a numbers person." The team is exactly the same as the losers in 2013, except Alison Lee in and Jessica Korda out.

On the positive side, she did call for an end to distractions like face paint and special cheers. Let's see if she puts her money where her mouth is and keeps Creamer away from the makeup counter.

Last edited by Blue; 08-24-2015 at 06:40 PM.