Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #141

It seems a lot of people had forgotten the 'you were away' incident with Annika, which is why I mentioned it earlier in this thread. Get rid of the holier than thou attitude. At least is sounds as if Annika tried to do something about this one even if she was over ruled.

I guess people want to change the rules to dumb things down to their own miserable attention span level.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 AM   #142

Tutta posted the following statement on her Instagram page:

https://instagram.com/p/74r3eQOVA4/

I've never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down Sunday on the 17th at the Solheim Cup.
I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry.
To the U.S. team, you guys have a great leader in Juli , who I've always looked up to and respect so much. Knowing I need to make things "right," I had a face to face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry.
I hope in time the U.S. team will forgive me and know that I have learned a valuable lesson about what is truly important in this great game of golf which has given me so much in my life.
To the fans of golf who watched the competition on TV, I am sorry for the way I carried myself. I can be so much better and being an ambassador for this great game means a lot to me.
The Solheim Cup has been a huge part of my career. I wish I could change Sunday for many reasons. Unfortunately I can't.
This week I want to push forward toward another opportunity to earn the Solheim Cup back for Europe in the right way. And I want to work hard to earn back your belief in me as someone who plays hard, plays fair and plays the great game of golf the right way.

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImLU31G2o8
IceCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #143

Good for Tutta.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #144

Thank you for posting this, Kevin.

I'm very happy Pettersen expressed her regret.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #145
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Regarding the idea of eliminating concessions in Match play. Ridiculous.

Match play and Stroke play are two different games from a mental standpoint. Match play is the purest form of golf and concessions (or not) are an integral part of the game. Concessions of putts...or of holes...or of the match.

The gamesmanship and strategy in Match play are very much part of the game and have been since the beginning of golf. Surely you know there's gamesmanship in Match, don't you?

Why do people always want to change the Rules when there are incidents with which they don't agree?
Agree. That's how the game is played.

I don't belong to a club so I don't get to play in tournaments, but a few years ago went to play a round in the afternoon during the week and they were having a "Ryder" tournament for some sort of club in the morning. They were short 1 person in the last group and they asked if I would play. We were all around the same handicap. They gave me a free sleeve of balls and I said OK. 9 holes of best ball and 9 holes of alternate shot. Turns out that we were the key match and because of our 2 victories the team I was on won. Ok I basically carried my partner.

Point of the story is that it was actually one of the most enjoyable times playing golf. And even just as a pick up in the event I felt the pressure making putts when it was to win or lose a hole. So you can only imagine how the players in the Solheim fell. it is emotion ramped up a thousand percent. That's why gamesmanship is so important. Pressure on every hole on every day. Can you really say that in a normal tournament on Thursday and Friday as a fan.

Don't know why everyone wants to sanitize things that are different and make it the same old same old that we see every week. Everyone needs to admit it that when these controversies pop up it makes it fun. Who knows what it will be next time. I can only imagine the excitement next time with the match in the US.

Last edited by xman5; 09-21-2015 at 06:12 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 AM   #146
Contest Statistician

I remember the Annika Solheim Chip incident very well. That's about the time I started getting into women's golf.

Perhaps the worst thing I can every remember of happening in a tournament and the worst display of unsportmanship.

I don't know what the rule exactly states but you stand there do nothing to address your ball, et your opponent size up there ball and play then say you are away. Don't get the ruling.

Gotta go back and check the sequence of events on tape from somewhere.

That still steams me. Even though on the other side I started out as a big Annika fan and still a big fan.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #147

Solheim Cup Grades, Reflections, And Projections - VAVEL.com
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #148
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Why do people always want to change the Rules when there are incidents with which they don't agree?
Because a match should not be decided on whether or not someone heard something amongst a crowd of thousands.

The practice of conceding a putt dates back far before golf tournaments were played before large boisterous crowds or broadcast on television with microphones and cameras recording everything.

Eliminating putt concessions is keeping up with the times. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with specific incidents. It's about keeping those incidents from happening in the first place.

Golf as a sport is slowly dying. One reason is its reluctance to change to keep pace with the times.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #149

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Because a match should not be decided on whether or not someone heard something amongst a crowd of thousands.

The practice of conceding a putt dates back far before golf tournaments were played before large boisterous crowds or broadcast on television with microphones and cameras recording everything.

Eliminating putt concessions is keeping up with the times. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with specific incidents. It's about keeping those incidents from happening in the first place.

Golf as a sport is slowly dying. One reason is its reluctance to change to keep pace with the times.
Baloney. Crowds are not boisterous enough that a player, after missing a putt, can't check with their Opponent to see if the next stroke is conceded.

Concessions are often given by opponents without verbalizing it...sometimes as a hand signal or a nod indicating "pick it up." If you don't know whether a putt has been conceded, you don't pick it up....period.

It's evident you don't play much golf, and clearly have never experienced playing Match Play.

Eliminating putt concessions is laughable.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #150

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Agree. That's how the game is played.

I don't belong to a club so I don't get to play in tournaments, but a few years ago went to play a round in the afternoon during the week and they were having a "Ryder" tournament for some sort of club in the morning. They were short 1 person in the last group and they asked if I would play. We were all around the same handicap. They gave me a free sleeve of balls and I said OK. 9 holes of best ball and 9 holes of alternate shot. Turns out that we were the key match and because of our 2 victories the team I was on won. Ok I basically carried my partner.

Point of the story is that it was actually one of the most enjoyable times playing golf. And even just as a pick up in the event I felt the pressure making putts when it was to win or lose a hole. So you can only imagine how the players in the Solheim fell. it is emotion ramped up a thousand percent. That's why gamesmanship is so important. Pressure on every hole on every day. Can you really say that in a normal tournament on Thursday and Friday as a fan.

Don't know why everyone wants to sanitize things that are different and make it the same old same old that we see every week. Everyone needs to admit it that when these controversies pop up it makes it fun. Who knows what it will be next time. I can only imagine the excitement next time with the match in the US.
xman.... Ryder Cup format is great fun! At my club we play it as 6 holes Alternate Shot, 6 holes Better Ball of the partners, and 6 holes two-person Scramble. It's one of our most popular events. And,yes...it is pressure packed, especially the Alternate shot which is not a commonly played format.

Makes a good diversion from the regular Stroke play events. I particularly enjoy the "us" against "them" feeling with your partner and strategizing throughout the match.