Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #131
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Some commentators have said that the fact that Charley Hull left the green in tears is proof that Suzann was wrong. That's insane. Why was Charley crying? Probably because she caused an international incident by prematurely walking off the green when Europe was not conceding the putt. How is Suzann to blame for this?
I don't know if you watched the live coverage on GC.com but after the round they showed a long heated discussion between Pettersen, Koch, Sorenstam and Sunesson. The audio was clear except that is was all in Swedish. I wish that somewhere we could get a translation of it, because they were clearly upset with Pettersen.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #132

Great stuff, BKB. Thank you.
Ricearoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #133
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I don't know if you watched the live coverage on GC.com but after the round they showed a long heated discussion between Pettersen, Koch, Sorenstam and Sunesson. The audio was clear except that is was all in Swedish. I wish that somewhere we could get a translation of it, because they were clearly upset with Pettersen.
Nope. Didn't see that video. All I saw was the live TV coverage of the incident itself. So much is unknown about the incident because Suzann is out of the camera shot. Everyone, including me, is making judgments without, literally, seeing the full picture.

It would be helpful to have full video, with audio, of the entire incident.

Last edited by Blue; 09-20-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #134

I'd like to see that as well.
Ricearoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #135
Forum Moderator

Update: According to roughly-translated Swedish media, Annika was trying to convince Suzann to concede the 18th hole after the mix-up on 17.

http://www.golf.se/Folja/Nyheter/201...extremt-sarad/

I'd like to see golf get rid of concessions altogether in match play, at least at the highest level of the game. Make players putt everything. Or speed things up by giving automatic concessions to putts of six inches or less.

Last edited by Blue; 09-20-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #136

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Update: According to roughly-translated Swedish media, Annika was trying to convince Suzann to concede the 18th hole after the mix-up on 17.

Sörenstam: "Jag blev extremt sårad" - Golf.se

I'd like to see golf get rid of concessions altogether in match play, at least at the highest level of the game. Make players putt everything. Or speed things up by giving automatic concessions to putts of six inches or less.
That's actually a pretty good idea.

I know concessions are a sign of good sportsmanship,and golf thrives on that,but if we did away with them it would remove any future controversies like we had today.

Players have been known to miss tiny putts,particularly in critical situations,so why not make every putt count?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 09-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #137

Also there are 2 players that had 0 points. Not sure who they are, I did not look back to see who they are. just my analysis of the scoring and from watching play.
The two players with 0 points were Lincicome and Munoz.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #138

Originally Posted by Ricearoni View Post
Great stuff, BKB. Thank you.
You're welcome.

Picking up on the conversation...I'll throw my vote in as well...no concessions in Solheim Cup, Ryder Cup, International Crown, etc.

I agree. We've all watched golf long enough to see what seem to be the easiest of putts be missed. I hate to bring up two that haunt me as a fan to this day...In-Kyung Kim at what was then the Kraft Nabisco Championship...and Ariya Jutanugarn at the Honda Thailand...it even pains me to type that last one...

...putt it out...why not...if it's an easy tap in then take the second or two to tap it in....

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #139

I found the Swedish article very interesting. Here's the loosely translated text:

Sörenstam: "I was extremely hurt"

Annika Sorenstam ended up in hot air during the Solheim Cup. After the game she recognized:-I was extremely hurt.

Annika Sörenstam did this year his third turn as vice-captain and there was a couple turbulent days in Germany.

On Saturday morning, she was seen, Carin Koch, July Inkster and Wendy Ward in the heated discussion out there on the course.

Tv footage cabled out gestures but no sound.

Also on Sunday, it was a different tv show with Annika Sörenstam in one of the main roles.

Television company remained in the broadcast after the morning session when Annika Sörenstam, Carin Koch and Fanny Sunesson went to Suzann Pettersen to find out all the facts about what had actually happened on the 17th green.

This time cabled both audio and video, but the conversation took place at Swedish.

Annika Sorenstam tried to persuade Suzann Pettersen to rescue the situation by giving the United States the 18th hole.

The Swede was heard saying, among other things:

-Sometimes one has to take the consequences, you will look like a star.

When Annika Sorenstam after the press conference talking to Swedish media she develops its reasoning:

"We were not on the Green and saw everything that happened but suddenly I saw that the players stood and discussed and then I wondered what had happened. Then went to Carin away and tried to gather information. Carin was talking to Tutta, Charley and their caddies, but they were already on their way to the 18th and it was so hectic. Afterwards, we received all the information and then a decision will be taken. Tutta hadn't said anything and then it was how it turned out. We are standing up for each other as a team.

You regret that you did not attempt to get rid of the TV cameras?

-Everyone knew, after all, what we talked about. We divided on what to do in such a situation. No other coach has ever gone against a player or a judgment.

At the press conference were Carin Koch asked if she wanted to continue in his post.

She replied:

-I have really loved this week and have had so much fun together with the players. But it is far too early to be able to make a decision. We'll see, maybe.

The question went on to Annika Sörenstam, if she can imagine to possibly succeed Carin Koch.

The author phrased out clumsily and suggested that Annika then do not have to get criticized because as vice-captain provide advice to players. It was just that as Saturday's dispute was about.

Annika responded emotionally:

-I just want to clarify-those allegations are false. I learned the lesson in Colorado and was now extremely hurt, I felt offended and it said I until July. I was into this team to inspire and that's what I've done this week. And Yes – I would like to be Captain any day.

A response that was met with spontaneous applause.

Are you ready to be Captain already 2017?

-Well, maybe.

This sheds light on the conversation on Saturday morning Koch, Inkster, and Ward, which we were told had something to do who could give advice to players. As you might remember, Annika was involved in an incident in Colorado at the 2013 Solheim where she was accused of giving advice (not allowed except by Capt.). In this article she said "I learned the lesson in Colorado..." I think this means someone again accused her of giving advice and she was very upset by this allegation.

The other part of this article is regarding the Pettersen/Hull incident on #17 this year. It does appear from the translation that Annika was wanting the Europeans to correct the "non-concession" and concede the putt retroactively. Though I do think something was lost in translation about giving them the 18th hole (?). But, it seems she was over ruled in the discussion with the others and they let it stand and stuck together as a team.

As most know, Annika herself was embroiled in a similar situation in the 2000
Solheim in Loch Lomand. Annika played a chip shot from near the green and holed it out, which would likely have won the hole. Kelly Robbins then said to Capt Pat Bradley that she believed she was away and not Annika. After measurement, it was determined that Kelly was one yard away. Pat Bradley chose to make Annika cancel the shot and replay it. (All within the Rules). She could have let it stand ....within the rules as well. Annika was really upset and in tears. Like this 2015 situation, it was thought to be bad sportsmanship on the part of the Americans....and like this it was entirely within the Rules. As it turned out the Euros won that Solheim with Carin Koch making the winning putt for the Cup.

Perhaps Annika was thinking back to how badly that incident in Loch Lomand played out and wanted to avoid the same negativity surrounding it.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #140

Regarding the idea of eliminating concessions in Match play. Ridiculous.

Match play and Stroke play are two different games from a mental standpoint. Match play is the purest form of golf and concessions (or not) are an integral part of the game. Concessions of putts...or of holes...or of the match.

The gamesmanship and strategy in Match play are very much part of the game and have been since the beginning of golf. Surely you know there's gamesmanship in Match, don't you?

Why do people always want to change the Rules when there are incidents with which they don't agree?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote