Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #51
Forum Moderator

I don't 100% always agree with Ron Sirak, but I believe he is the most informed journalist in the world of women's golf.

Here is his take on the Solheim Cup, arguing that 2011 Solheim Cup saved the tournament:

SOLHEIM CUP
Fresh Look
New faces and a dramatic victory by Europe two years ago add buzz to this year's Solheim Cup

BY RON SIRAK
August 14, 2013

The talk going into the 12th Solheim Cup at Killeen Castle in 2011 was muted but persistent. The event, in the form it existed, was in trouble.

With the United States having won three consecutive competitions rather handily it was time to bolster the European team with reinforcements from Asia, Australia and other nations not eligible for the Solheim Cup, some said.

But in one hour of competitive brilliance that matched any other 60 minutes in the sport that year -- and in most other years -- Europe not only won, but it saved the event as a competition against the United States.

When the blue and gold side took three and a half of the final four points for a 15-13 victory to raucous hometown-side cheers and capped it with a wild celebration, it was clear the Solheim Cup had come of age and needed to be left alone. ... Continued ...
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #52

the thing with Wie is that her foremost thought is having fun. if the US has a comfortable lead the pressure is off her and Michelle may play well.

on the other hand if it's tense Wie will very likely wilt under pressure like she's done so many times in the past especially when she's close to the "finish line".
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #53

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I don't 100% always agree with Ron Sirak, but I believe he is the most informed journalist in the world of women's golf.
Informed or not,geography doesn't appear to be his forté :

''If the International Crown were to be held today, the teams qualifying would be the United States, Britain, Spain, Sweden, Australia, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.''

That would be England,Ron,not Britain...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #54
Forum Moderator

Update on pairings: It looks like Meg is going to pair Wie-Korda and Piller-Stanford on Friday.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #55

I think that would be right. Wie and Korda are good friends, and Stanford has taken Piller "under her wing" as a mentor.

Maybe Salas with Lewis? And Lexi with either Creamer or Morgan?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #56

I don't think Lang is recently married. Her long-time boyfriend proposed to her on the 18th green at a tournament earlier this summer (don't recall which one). I don't think they're married yet. The announcers would mention it over and over if so.
I looked on line to see if I could find something that said she's married, but found nothing other than she's engaged. You're right.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #57

Charlie, Are your pairings what you think Meg will do or what you think she should do?

No way will Meg leave Wie, or anyone, off until singles. She will probably play her in both matches on Friday and see how it goes.
Blue, those were the pairings I'd make... I am convinced she'll choose to play #82 as often as possible.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #58

Images of USA Team room.

Can anyone imagine the Ryder Cup team having a team room like the Solheim team has???? Neither's "wrong", but what a difference between males and females.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #59

Tweet of the Day, from Suzann Pettersen:

Suzann Pettersen @suzannpettersen
Waiting on the Americans to get done taking pictures of their nail polish;)) #whileweareyoung

Why I like European players better even though required to root for home team.

And, yes, the Americans did pose for pictures of their nail polish ...

Well, priorities are priorities!!!! What could be more important than your nail polish?????
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #60

a few more videos and pics on my blog: Team USA, Team Europe Ready For Solheim Cup 2013 | Fairways and Forehands

Meg Mallon

The waiting is almost over. It’s time for the talk to subside and the ladies to hit the course and see who will emerge triumphant at Solheim Cup 2013. Well, I guess there is still the official opening ceremony and the related festivities. I can feel the excitement building. I suppose I can wait another day until the real fireworks begin. Good luck to both teams.

Suzann Pettersen

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote