Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #21

Saint-Just X:

Looks like sound advice for both captains to heed.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Anybody from the European side of the pond want to offer a Friday lineup for Team Europe? With 6 rookies on the team. what do you think Lotte will do?
I'm not from Europe, but I posted my Europe Team suggestions earlier in the thread.

For Friday morning I put

Matthew - Hull
Nordqvist - Hedwall
Sergas - Pettersen
EwartShadoff - Munoz

We'll see what happens.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #23

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I can't image Meg pairing up two rookies.
They are not rookies in team match play events.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
They are not rookies in team match play events.
So what? The Curtis Cup is not the Solheim Cup. Not by a long shot.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #25

So what? The Curtis Cup is not the Solheim Cup. Not by a long shot.
But they are familiar with how team match play works plus both of them are long hitters who will not be intimidated by whoever they are paired against.
Lexi and Jessica would be a very strong team.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

But they are familiar with how team match play works plus both of them are long hitters who will not be intimidated by whoever they are paired against.
Lexi and Jessica would be a very strong team.
Except that in the Curtis Cup there is no concept of rookie. Almost everyone just plays it once and at the same stage in their career.

So the idea of pairing a rookie with a vet does not exist there. If it did, as it does with the Solheim Cup, it would be employed and Lexi and Jessica would not have been paired in the 2010 Curtis Cup.

There is no way any smart captain, will pair two rookies on Friday if there are sufficient vets available.

Also, what does being a long hitter have to do with not being intimidated?

In any case, the fact that they're both long hitters is an argument against pairing them up.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #27

Originally posted to the wrong thread:

I checked the total Solheim records for the 8 "veterans". The worst in foursomes are Lewis and Lang at 0-2-0 and Stanford 1-3-1. The best are Creamer 4-1-3, Wie 2-0-0, and Pressel 2-1-0.

In fourballs the worst are Stanford 0-2-2, Wie 1-2-1, and Lincicome 2-3-1. The best are Kerr 7-4-0, Creamer 4-1-2, Lewis 1-0-0 and Pressel 2-1-2.

If I were Mallon I would sit those with the worst records in foursomes at least once in foursomes and those with the worst records in fourballs at least once in fourballs.

I might treat Lewis as a special case in foursomes as, if I recall correctly, she had an attitude problem on both Friday and Saturday, which Rosie had to deal with.

Of course, if one went exclusively by past records, Angela Stanford would sit out Friday and Saturday completely!
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
NTB

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Originally posted to the wrong thread:

I checked the total Solheim records for the 8 "veterans". The worst in foursomes are Lewis and Lang at 0-2-0 and Stanford 1-3-1. The best are Creamer 4-1-3, Wie 2-0-0, and Pressel 2-1-0.

In fourballs the worst are Stanford 0-2-2, Wie 1-2-1, and Lincicome 2-3-1. The best are Kerr 7-4-0, Creamer 4-1-2, Lewis 1-0-0 and Pressel 2-1-2.

If I were Mallon I would sit those with the worst records in foursomes at least once in foursomes and those with the worst records in fourballs at least once in fourballs.

I might treat Lewis as a special case in foursomes as, if I recall correctly, she had an attitude problem on both Friday and Saturday, which Rosie had to deal with.

Of course, if one went exclusively by past records, Angela Stanford would sit out Friday and Saturday completely!
You can't keep a secret just ask Tiger. So what was Stacy's problem on Fri and Sat? Someone should know and don't speculate.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #29

Except that in the Curtis Cup there is no concept of rookie. Almost everyone just plays it once and at the same stage in their career.

So the idea of pairing a rookie with a vet does not exist there. If it did, as it does with the Solheim Cup, it would be employed and Lexi and Jessica would not have been paired in the 2010 Curtis Cup.

There is no way any smart captain, will pair two rookies on Friday if there are sufficient vets available.

Also, what does being a long hitter have to do with not being intimidated?

In any case, the fact that they're both long hitters is an argument against pairing them up.
Look at it this way Blue, Lexi and Jessica are not real rookies. True, this will be their first Solheim Cup but they know the players and compete with most of them all the time,

Anyway, Lexi and Jessica, IMO, will be, in a best ball match, a long hitting birdie team. You'll see.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
Forum Moderator

Look at it this way Blue, Lexi and Jessica are not real rookies. True, this will be their first Solheim Cup but they know the players and compete with most of them all the time,

Anyway, Lexi and Jessica, IMO, will be, in a best ball match, a long hitting birdie team. You'll see.
Once again, I offer to eat my hat if Meg pairs Lexi and Jessica in Friday morning's matches.