Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Solheim Cup

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
For the US to win back the Cup, Stacey Lewis (1-3-0), Angela Stanford (0-3-0), Brittany Lang (1-3-0), and Michelle Wie (1-3-0) need to perform better than in 2011. It's unreasonable to expect Pressel to duplicate her 4-0-0 record.

Brittany Lincicome was 2-2-0 in 2011. Unless she suddenly becomes inspired as a member of the US team, I don't see her matching that effort in 2013.

It will be interesting to see how Mallon matches the players in the foursome and fourball matches and who she sits.
How about these pairings for Friday?

Foursomes
US
Korda - Lewis
Wie - Salas
Piller - Creamer
Pressel - Thompson
sitting ... Lang, Kerr, Stanford, Lincicome

Europe
Matthew - Hull
Nordqvist - Hedwall
Sergas - Pettersen
EwartShadoff - Munoz
sitting ... Icher, Recari, Ciganda, Masson

Fourball
US
Salas - Wie
Kerr - Lang
Stanford - Lewis
Creamer - Lincicome
sitting ... Korda, Thompson, Pressel, Piller

Europe
Icher - Pettersen
Recari - Ciganda
Masson - Hedwall
EwartShadoff - Munoz
sitting ... Matthew, Nordqvist, Hull, Sergas
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Contest Statistician

I start with my best players.

Creamer-Pressel -> Good chemistry, friends.

Thompson-Kerr -> Thompson needs to play with experience and I think that Thompson will learn from Kerr. I think that this is the best fit for Kerr.

Salas-Lewis -> I think that this is the best fit for Salas. This is more about what's best for Salas.

Stanford-Korda -> I can't sit Stanford or Korda so they have to play together.

I have to see what happens in the morning to set my afternoon. It is a tough call to sit someone the entire day because of egos so I most likely play everyone, so I don't know who I sit from the morning round. However, I most likely can't sit Lewis, Kerr, Creamer and Stanford. So the afternoon is a tough choice.

I can't pick Saturday without knowing what happens Friday. However I won't have anyone playing all rounds so by the end of Saturday at least everyone will have sat a session. I want to make sure that everyone is fresh for Singles.

For the Euros - I don't know enough.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Forum Moderator

I forgot that they don't have to announce both foursomes and fourballs all at once. Duh.

My idea with the Friday morning pairings is to try to get the rookies out early, pairing rookies with vets.

Korda - Lewis ... good lead-off pair that won't be fazed by the atmosphere. If Korda can fire her caddie mid-round at the US Open, then she can lead off the Solheim Cup without freaking out. Also Korda's long ball should set up nicely for Lewis's second shot

Salas-Wie ... they're both rah-rah types and should feed off each other's energy. Will be a good test to see if Wie is having a 2011 year or a 2009 year.

Piller-Creamer .... the least experienced player on the team paired with the most experienced. As with Wie, will be a good test to see how Piller will play the rest of the week.

Pressel-Thompson ... Thompson has a tendency to be unengaged. Pairing her with Pressel should avoid that.

For Europe, I don't know all the players that well, but tried also to pair up rookies with vets, i.e., Hull-Matthew.

Last edited by Blue; 08-12-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #14

Lincicome, Lang and Wie, indeed, have not played well this year.

I expected that from Wie, but was disappointed with Lincicome and Lang.

Lincicome seems content to be part of the picture, and without any enthusiasm. I guess she's just enjoying life, and there's nothing wrong with that... except for it taking away from her profession.

Lang is newly married, so that could be a factor in her slide.

Wie has little going in her resume, if anything. I sit her until the singles when I have no choice.

Piller, Salas, Thompson and Korda are enthusiastic rookies... Three cheers for them.

Lewis, Creamer, Kerr, Pressel and Stanford are the go-to gals on the team, although Kerr has struggled some from previous years. Kerr, though, is tenacious, and I see her as someone who'll come through.

Four Ball (Day 1)
Lewis-Thompson ... pair the best with the rookie to break her in.
Stanford - Korda .... again pair a reliable vet with a rookie.
Creamer - Salas ... same reasoning
Kerr - Pressel .... good friends who play well together

Foursomes (Alternate Shot) (Day 1)
Kerr-Pressel
Creamer - Lang ... despite her year, Lang has to play the first day
Lewis - Lincicome ... with hopes that Lewis will be able to save Lincicome
Stanford - Piller ... again, pair the rookie with a vet

Of course the first day performances and results could affect the lineup, but... otherwise...
Four Ball - Day 2
repeat day 1, except replace the Creamer-Salas team with Creamer-Piller

Foursomes - Alternate Shot (Day 2)
Lewis - Stanford
Creamer - Salas
Kerr - Pressel
Korda - Thompson

Day 2: Lincicome and Lang as possible subs for rookies who haven't looked good, provided that they, themselves, acquitted themselves reasonably on Day 1.... or if someone is looking tired.

Singles - Day 3
Much depends on the score going into the singles, of course...
1. Kerr
2. Pressel
3. Korda
4. Salas
5. Lincicome
6. Wie
7. Lang
8. Piller
9. Thompson
10. Stanford
11. Creamer
12. Lewis
Start off with strength, and end up the same way, with hopes the ones in the middle will win a couple of points, with your worst player at #6. If the opponent uses the same strategy, maybe the ones in the middle can pick up more than the other team.

I fear that Mallon will play Wie each round, and is still reading Wie's imaginative press clippings from years ago, without paying attention to how she's played the last two years.

Last edited by Charlie; 08-12-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Forum Moderator

I don't think Lang is recently married. Her long-time boyfriend proposed to her on the 18th green at a tournament earlier this summer (don't recall which one). I don't think they're married yet. The announcers would mention it over and over if so.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Charlie, Are your pairings what you think Meg will do or what you think she should do?

No way will Meg leave Wie, or anyone, off until singles. She will probably play her in both matches on Friday and see how it goes.

Last edited by Blue; 08-12-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #17

The only pairing that I think should be a lock is Lexi and Jessica. They were 2-0-1 in the 2010 Curtis Cup matches as partners.
Lexi also won a match with Jennifer Johnson as a partner plus Jennifer made the winning point for the Curtis Cup but of course that didn't count in the popularity contest for the Solheim Cup team, aka, Meg's Captain's picks.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #18

Anybody from the European side of the pond want to offer a Friday lineup for Team Europe? With 6 rookies on the team. what do you think Lotte will do?
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #19

Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Anybody from the European side of the pond want to offer a Friday lineup for Team Europe? With 6 rookies on the team. what do you think Lotte will do?
Did somebody call me ?

It's always impossible to predict line-ups,and with so many rookies involved it's even more difficult.

Not that Lotte needs my advice,but I'd just offer up two tidbits of wisdom ; even Meg Mallon can follow this advice. (Tidbits :that's a word you rarely come across.)

First tidbit : get everybody involved on the first day.Virtually every player involved in this tournament has earned the right to be there.Holding a player back until day two is not a smart move.The rookies will be nervous and anxious,don't make them wait another day until they get the opportunity to play.

Second tidbit : put your best ball-strikers together in the foursome/alternate shot.In that format you don't want a player who sprays it all over the place.

And I'd also make sure that Matthew or/and Pettersen was in the opening match,because,with that atmosphere on the first tee,you don't really want to send a tyro out in the very first game...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
The only pairing that I think should be a lock is Lexi and Jessica. ...
I can't image Meg pairing up two rookies.