Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Laura Davies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #1

Think It'll Happen?

Tidbit from LD from the Solheim website...

“I’ve told Rosie she’s got to tell Juli to tee off third in the singles and I’m going to tell Big Al I want to play third and hopefully we can finally get a singles match because I think Juli has played in nine Solheims and this is my twelfth,” Davies said. “We’ve never played a singles, so hopefully. I don’t think the captains will be sucked in to that one but it would be great to play Juli because she’s a great mate.”

Personally, I'd love to see this, and I'm wondering if Laura might "buckle down" a bit more and take it seriously. You never know with her...she might just be saying this because the match-up has never happened, and if they do play each other and she doesn't give it everything she has, will she just say "oh well, just wanted to give it a go."?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #2

Hi ya folks...ya gotta love Laura Davis....I can dig this...heavens knows if any two players deserve this "special treatment" it is Laura and Juli...THEY HAVE PAID THEIR DUES as terriffic representatives of Ladies Golf...and they both don't have toooo many Solheim chances because of their longevity...I think Rosie and Alfie should "CONCEDE" to this request....Good for the game of golf and also to these TWO great players.....this is just my opinion

have a good day folks...it would also be EXTRA nice if their match ended up "HALVE"...I know that if they are playing in the 3rd match of singles...a victory needed by either team will NOT have a "concession Halve" like Jack Nicklaus did at the Ryder cup a long time ago because the Cup Winner was already decided....perhaps Rosie and Alfie could agree upon Laura and Juli playing in Match #11....if the winning Cup is decided by the Laura/Juli Winner...so be it....great media story and should get Both Rosters and the crowd really BUZZED and Loud....but if the Cup is already decided then Laura/Juli could just have a "Career Satisfying Moment" with each other

anyway...have a great day...see ya!!....this is a potential GREAT story line for Women's Golf....anyway...see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #3

It would be fun to see two veterans going head to head. Of course, coverage on these two would probably be minimal, since the powers that be would assume they aren't the players we want to see.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Originally Posted by wiefan View Post
Hi ya folks...ya gotta love Laura Davis....I can dig this...heavens knows if any two players deserve this "special treatment" it is Laura and Juli...THEY HAVE PAID THEIR DUES as terriffic representatives of Ladies Golf...and they both don't have toooo many Solheim chances because of their longevity...I think Rosie and Alfie should "CONCEDE" to this request....Good for the game of golf and also to these TWO great players.....this is just my opinion

have a good day folks...it would also be EXTRA nice if their match ended up "HALVE"...I know that if they are playing in the 3rd match of singles...a victory needed by either team will NOT have a "concession Halve" like Jack Nicklaus did at the Ryder cup a long time ago because the Cup Winner was already decided....perhaps Rosie and Alfie could agree upon Laura and Juli playing in Match #11....if the winning Cup is decided by the Laura/Juli Winner...so be it....great media story and should get Both Rosters and the crowd really BUZZED and Loud....but if the Cup is already decided then Laura/Juli could just have a "Career Satisfying Moment" with each other

anyway...have a great day...see ya!!....this is a potential GREAT story line for Women's Golf....anyway...see ya!!
That happened at the Presidents Cup....

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
It would be fun to see two veterans going head to head. Of course, coverage on these two would probably be minimal, since the powers that be would assume they aren't the players we want to see.
This match is a natural and both captains should make it happen.
Unfortunately, MP is probably right. But I'd love to watch it.
benchjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Contest Statistician

I think he was refering to this:

The 1969 Cup held at Royal Birkdale was perhaps one of the best and most competitive contests in terms of play (18 of the 32 matches went to the last green), but it was also marred by acrimony and gamesmanship between some players. In one of golf's most memorable moments of sportsmanship, Jack Nicklaus, playing in his first Ryder Cup Matches, conceded a two-foot putt to Tony Jacklin after making a four-footer for par on the last green. The 'gimme' was very generous; Jacklin was far from assured of making it. Nicklaus said: "I don't think you would have missed that putt, but in these circumstances, I would never give you the opportunity." The result was the first tie in the Matches' history (the US retained the Cup), but some of Nicklaus' teammates were less than pleased, including captain Sam Snead.[14]
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

Yes...you're probably right.
Sorry, Wiefan....I forgot about that one.

Viva Annika
Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Yes...you're probably right.
Sorry, Wiefan....I forgot about that one.

Viva Annika
Ah...there goes the age thing again!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #9

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Ah...there goes the age thing again!
One positive thing I've learned from being old, DB. Wrinkles don't hurt.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #10

You got that right...you young whippersnapper.

Viva Annika